yconic - What do you do when you cant get in the first year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What do you do when you cant get in the first year?

A photo of syoo93 syoo93
I've always wanted to have a career in the medical field, like a doctor or nurse, so I applied to UBC's Science, and Arts. I've been getting a majority of negative feedback about my chance for UBC so then I also applied to SFU's Health Science and Education. SFU emailed me a few weeks ago, and based on my self reported grades, I've got "accepted", conditionally, to my first choice at Health Science. The marks that SFU will receive from the Ministry of Education soon will say that my average is an 85%, when I self reported an 88%. I called SFU to let them know of my decreased average, and asked what my chances would be for acceptance, and they said it would be very slim. So, both UBC and SFU is off the list.. I've only applied to these two schools, because my parents wanted me to stay in the province.. but now that I am on the edge of rejection to both schools, I'm not sure what to do. I thought of taking some time off, working to save up money, as well as try and retake a course or two to increase my average, and then re-applying for the schools again for the summer programs for May 2012. Or if I get accepted to SFU's education program, I would take that to become an elementary school teacher...

I apologize for the long explanation, but I wanted to be clear about where I'm standing.
I appreciate your sincere suggestions very much in advance.
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of Bluesharpies Bluesharpies
Honestly, it's all up to you.

If you get into the program you still feel you have a chance of getting into, and that's what you want to do, by all means, go for it, especially if it isn't too far off from your original plan. It's first year - I'm a senior in high school myself, but I've been told over and over that first year is pretty much the same for everyone.

If not, you seem to have a good idea of what you want to do while you're not in school. I personally don't see the problem in working and retaking a highschool course or two. I have a few friends planning to stay back a year - they're not by any means stupid, they just feel unprepared for one reason or another to go to university. Take a year off, make some plans and some cash, then bounce back.
Was this helpful? Yes 0