yconic - What do you think..?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What do you think..?

A photo of 72393 72393
Look around at your schoolmates and think of how many of those drink or do drugs? How do you think it will effect our generation and generations to come? With increased drinking and drugs being abused, sexual infections may increase also. WHAT'S YOUR OPINION!? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
28 replies

A photo of passenger3 passenger3
I think that alcohol and drugs are completely unnecessary and a waste of time, health and money. When I think about people who go to parties and get drunk, I wonder if they are really friends with the people they are partying with. If you have to be drunk to have a good time with those people, then why are you hanging out with them. I've never had a drink, and most of my friends don't, and whenever we get together to hang out at someone's house and were all sober, we always have an amazing time. I think the fact that our generation has moved more towards alcohol and drugs as recreation will greatly affect our relationships with others. I think that they will be compromised because their friendships with others could be seen as less real. Alcohol and drugs stimulated the friendship, so how can it be real?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@passenger3 wrote
I think that alcohol and drugs are completely unnecessary and a waste of time, health and money. When I think about people who go to parties and get drunk, I wonder if they are really friends with the people they are partying with. If you have to be drunk to have a good time with those people, then why are you hanging out with them. I've never had a drink, and most of my friends don't, and whenever we get together to hang out at someone's house and were all sober, we always have an amazing time. I think the fact that our generation has moved more towards alcohol and drugs as recreation will greatly affect our relationships with others. I think that they will be compromised because their friendships with others could be seen as less real. Alcohol and drugs stimulated the friendship, so how can it be real?

You can't really make a judgement until you have tried going to a party and drinking or even doing drugs. I'm not saying that you are wrong but your opinion is clearly biased. How can you make a statement about something that you have never experienced or done before? You may be surprised with what you discover. "Don't knock it until you've tried it." Whether drinking at parties is fun or not is subjective.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@lemony wrote

@passenger3 wrote

You can't really make a judgement until you have tried going to a party and drinking or even doing drugs. I'm not saying that you are wrong but your opinion is clearly biased. How can you make a statement about something that you have never experienced or done before? You may be surprised with what you discover. "Don't knock it until you've tried it." Whether drinking at parties is fun or not is subjective.

Also, you think our generation has moved more towards alcohol and drugs? What?

Have you ever heard of the 60s? The 70s? Read a book.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@lemony wrote

+1
:cheers:
I never started drinking until this year. I used to get straight A's.. I still get straight A's, so it doesn't affect me academically, only helps me out socially. I used to think that it was bad for me, that it would ruin my life. But you're completely right, you can't pass judgement until you experience it for yourself, and I did. As long as you know your own limitations and when to stop, it shouldn't be such a big deal. If you have a few drinks at a party just to get tipsy and have a fun time, so be it. You're not bothering anyone if you're not smashed and all over the place.
I don't drink because I feel insecure about myself or anything, I just drink to lighten up the mood and to relax myself.
And as long as you don't do it every other day, it shouldn't be such a huge problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cleopatria Cleopatria
I think it will effect them the same it did in the seventies. They've always been doing it, it's not like it's some new fangled fad. It's being marketed differently, sure. But really I don't think it makes much of a difference. if you can drink, do drugs, and get your project/essay in on time and do well on it I don't see the problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Hmm, I'd say 30% of my classmates have tried weed and at least 80% have tried drinking. While I haven't tried either, I don't have the "say no to drugs!" mentality that I've had when I was younger. I most likely will try alcohol in the future, but I probably won't be a regular drinker. I know a lot of people who do weed, and it really doesn't seem as horrible as I once thought. I may try it out of curiosity one day. As for other drugs (e.g. ecstasy, cocaine, etc.), I doubt I'll ever want to try them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I'd say 100% drink..but I'm in 3rd year university and we're all legal. I'm using the term loosely though, I mean that everyone has at least had some alcohol but not everyone may be a regular drinker. As for drug use, I'm guessing 80% have tried but maybe 60-70% still regularly do drugs. I've found that as people grow older, they grow out of recreational drug use.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jesseyeahh Jesseyeahh

@passenger3 wrote

Same dull opinion as everyone else who hasn't had anything more than a pop and chip party.

Listen, you only have one life, and if people like drinking a lot, what are you going to do? It IS fun. If friendships are formed from drinking and whatnot, how are they different from friendships that start sober? Like, what is your argument anyways? Friendships that initiate under the influence are automatically nullified? No.

I'm so sick of this by now man, do what you got to do to live. It's not up to someone who is too upset by the fact that people do drugs to tell you what you should or shouldn't put in to your body. I think people with this kind of mentality are just scared by a supposed loss of innocence or something. They must think that drinking is seriously a step backwards, and that there is no debating it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@lemony wrote

So, by your logic, the only way I can ever judge a murderer is by murdering someone myself? :scratch:

Nice logic. Not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jesseyeahh wrote

@passenger3 wrote

Same dull opinion as everyone else who hasn't had anything more than a pop and chip party.

Listen, you only have one life, and if people like drinking a lot, what are you going to do? It IS fun. If friendships are formed from drinking and whatnot, how are they different from friendships that start sober? Like, what is your argument anyways? Friendships that initiate under the influence are automatically nullified? No.

I'm so sick of this by now man, do what you got to do to live. It's not up to someone who is too upset by the fact that people do drugs to tell you what you should or shouldn't put in to your body. I think people with this kind of mentality are just scared by a supposed loss of innocence or something. They must think that drinking is seriously a step backwards, and that there is no debating it.

Haha! Grow up and come to the real world some day man. Successful, important people don't do drugs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@ARMY101 wrote

@lemony wrote

So, by your logic, the only way I can ever judge a murderer is by murdering someone myself? :scratch:

Nice logic. Not.

Hahahahaha. What a stupid thing to say. I'm not even going to try to explain how that is very likely a false analogy because I feel like I've done that with you far too many times but, as it seems, to no avail.

I don't want to stake an opinion here (because, really, what does any of our opinions matter to the person considering drinking?), but I will say that binge drinking every now and then, especially when you're young, does not significantly affect your health, and drinking a glass or two a day of alcohol is actually beneficial for your health. Binge drinking is probably less harmful to your health than getting a sunburn every now and then.

Man, what a stupid comment, Army.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chrome Chrome

@ARMY101 wrote
Haha! Grow up and come to the real world some day man. Successful, important people don't do drugs.

LOL I think you're the one who needs to step into the real world. Do you know how many CEOs do cocaine? Do you know how many doctors abuse prescription meds?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Chrome wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

LOL I think you're the one who needs to step into the real world. Do you know how many CEOs do cocaine? Do you know how many doctors abuse prescription meds?

+1

My dad's a CEO and he snorts non-stop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@lemony wrote

Nice logic. Not.

Hahahahaha. What a stupid thing to say. I'm not even going to try to explain how that is very likely a false analogy because I feel like I've done that with you far too many times but, as it seems, to no avail.

Man, what a stupid comment, Army.

How is that in any way stupid? Lemony says you can't knock drinking until you've tried it - that you have to do it before judging others who do that; that you have to commit the act before judging people who also commit that act.

Doing illicit drugs is a crime. So is murder. Lemony was clearly saying you have to break the law and try drugs before you can judge others who also break the law and do drugs. By that logic, it easily flows that you then have to murder someone before judging a murderer.

Where has that logic failed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chrome wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

No, I don't. Why don't you inform me? Show me statistics of successful people who do do drugs. And I'm talking major CEO's, politicians, presidents, etc. Not someone who's "successful" because he moved from living in mom's basement to dad's car.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@Zion wrote

@Chrome wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

+1

My dad's a CEO and he snorts non-stop.

So you know your father is killing himself and yet you let him do it..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@ARMY101 wrote
How is that in any way stupid? Lemony says you can't knock drinking until you've tried it - that you have to do it before judging others who do that; that you have to commit the act before judging people who also commit that act.

Doing illicit drugs is a crime. So is murder. Lemony was clearly saying you have to break the law and try drugs before you can judge others who also break the law and do drugs. By that logic, it easily flows that you then have to murder someone before judging a murderer.

OK, then let's just say that the "Don't knock it until you've tried it" rule only applies to activities that do not explicitly or directly harm anyone involved in them - something that I thought would be obvious. Are you satisfied now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lemony wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

OK, then let's just say that the "Don't knock it until you've tried it" rule only applies to activities that do not explicitly or directly harm anyone involved in them - something that I thought would be obvious. Are you satisfied now?

No, my logic still stands. You don't need to try something to accurately judge something, especially when that activity is illegal (which drugs are).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@ARMY101 wrote
No, my logic still stands. You don't need to try something to accurately judge something, especially when that activity is illegal (which drugs are).

If I say that you are ugly without having ever experienced seeing you, is that still an accurate judgement? If I say that country music sucks without having ever listened to it, is that still an accurate judgement? If I say that roses smell nice without having ever smelled one, is that still an accurate judgement? If I say that you can't make real friends if you're drunk, without having ever drank, is that still an accurate judgement?
IMO - You can't derive all of your opinions from what other people say. There are some things that are subjective and will vary from person to person. You cannot simply copy someone else's opinion. You must form your own using your own experiences.
Also: drinking is not illegal when you are 18/19.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chrome Chrome

@ARMY101 wrote

@Chrome wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

No, I don't. Why don't you inform me? Show me statistics of successful people who do do drugs. And I'm talking major CEO's, politicians, presidents, etc. Not someone who's "successful" because he moved from living in mom's basement to dad's car.

http://rinf.com/alt-news/politics/history-of-presidential-drug-alcohol-abuse/2082/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39677-2005Apr9.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0843/is_5_30/ai_n6213542/

http://www.executive-recovery.com/

Just few links from google, enjoy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@ARMY101 wrote
Doing illicit drugs is a crime. So is murder.

Yeah, you're right actually. Under-aged drinking and murder are pretty much the same thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Doing illicit drugs is a crime. So is murder.

Yeah, you're right actually. Under-aged drinking and murder are pretty much the same thing.

I didn't say they were the same thing. I said they were both crimes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chrome wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@Chrome wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

http://rinf.com/alt-news/politics/history-of-presidential-drug-alcohol-abuse/2082/

LMAO! And those sources are reliable to you? Good luck in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chrome Chrome

@ARMY101 wrote

@Chrome wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@Chrome wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

LMAO! And those sources are reliable to you? Good luck in university.

LMAO! The Washington Post and BNET (CBS Business Network) and the fact that there is a legit business catering to executives that abuse narcotics are not reliable sources to you? Good luck in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0