yconic - What does a "financial need" mean?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What does a "financial need" mean?

A photo of shequi shequi
If a scholarship is looking for applicants who have a "strong financial need", does that mean that you have to come from a low income family?
Because coming from a middle class family, it'll still be possible to afford university, but just like anybody else, it'll still be difficult to pay for all the tuition and expenses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
These awards and bursaries are intended for people who would not be able to attend without them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessicasteffens jessicasteffens
The silly thing about these are they usually measure all your parents income and if it isn't less than a certain amount you basically can't get it. It sucks if you have a divorced family because they count all four incomes (including step parents) and it is really not fair considering some parents just won't pay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
They either measure your family's income, or you submit an application outlining your income and your monthly costs.

For my application for bursaries, it was the latter, unfortunately. What happens is you have a bunch of kids with ~70 averages typing in big numbers for everything (i.e. is your iphone + your $80/month plan REALLY a *need*?) and they end up getting them.

And you can literally be miserble and just barely make it to get a $500-1000 scoularship (excuse my spelling), especially at the first-year level. Meh...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amymiao amymiao
I thought you had to apply that you need finanical aid, and they consider your parent's income as well as the cost of whatever your applying for...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hearrts hearrts

@amymiao wrote
I thought you had to apply that you need finanical aid, and they consider your parent's income as well as the cost of whatever your applying for...?

Yea, I think it's based mainly on your parent's income.
Was this helpful? Yes 0