yconic - What does "Accredited" program mean?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What does "Accredited" program mean?

A photo of KevinL KevinL
If I get into a program that isn't accredited, can I still become a CA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No, that's the whole point of it having to be accredited.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@ARMY101 wrote

Yes you can. Accredited simply means that the program is recognized by the ICAO. You can become a CA at any school provided that it has all the required courses. However, some schools may require an extra semester (or two) to finish all the courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Yes, you can.

Accredited Programs
Students completing their CA requirements through an Institute-accredited program/stream do not have to worry about counting courses to complete the ICAO's 51 credit-hour requirement.

https://www.guidetorulingtheworld.ca/Become/AccreditedPrograms.aspx

As long as the program has all of the 51 credit-hours, then you will have what you need to become a CA. You just need to make sure that you are taking all of the required courses. Here you can find which programs have the 51 credit-hours. Most of the programs that people talk about here have all of the required hours.

You can go to a school without all of the 51 credit-hours, but then you would have to take undergrad courses at schools with the courses, some through distance education, worry about transfers, getting it approved by ICAO, etc. I would definitely NOT recommend this.

So going to a school that is not fully accredited but still has the 51 credit-hours isn't that much worse than a fully accredited program, but the programs that are fully-accredited are probably the best programs. But, it doesn't really matter where you do your undergrad as long as you get your requirements and put the work in.

Hope that helps :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ARMY101 wrote

Fail
Was this helpful? Yes 0