yconic - What Exactly is an MBA? And why is it so highly regarded and looked upon by employers?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What Exactly is an MBA? And why is it so highly regarded and looked upon by employers?

A photo of MightyJJ MightyJJ
Hey Guys its me again :P
I was reading through this forum about the top 10 Business schools in Canada and many of you commented on how they based their ranking's on the school's MBA program. I was just wondering what exactly is an MBA, why it's so popular and is it worth getting into?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@MightyJJ wrote
I was reading through this forum about the top 10 Business schools in Canada and many of you commented on how they based their ranking's on the school's MBA program. I was just wondering what exactly is an MBA, why it's so popular and is it worth getting into?

SAF is not your personal ask-away machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Business_Administration

But to answer your questions, MBA's have always been regarded as Business School or "B-School". It might be hard for Canadian students to understand this concept because studying business in undergraduate is so common and highly regarded, especially for those in Schulich, Ivey, QC, Rotman, etc. Consider this, Harvard, Yale and Princeton don't even have undergraduate business programs yet Harvard Business School (MBA) is widely regarded as one of the best Business Schools in the world. In fact, I believe only 2 of the Ivy League Schools have business undergraduate programs (UPenn and Cornell), generally these schools focus on bachelors for liberal arts and science. You don't need to study business in undergrad to become an Investment Banker contrary to popular belief.

Common jobs that are popular among MBA grads from top schools include banking and consulting but it's not uncommon for many students to continue careers in the fields they were originally in but to use their management skills they gained from an MBA to further their careers. Brand Name MBAs are f*cking expensive though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Illuminar Illuminar

@MightyJJ wrote

MBA's are professional degrees, but unlike medicine or law, there's no governing body or set of standards. Honestly, I don't think that MBA's in general are "highly regarded" because there are a lot of crappy programs out there and an MBA doesn't inherently mean anything. At a top program, the value is in the networking and reputation.

People usually do an MBA to change fields or because they need one to move up in their current field. Depending on what you do, you might not need one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0