yconic - What GPA average should I am for next year/ Gr.12 year tips
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What GPA average should I am for next year/ Gr.12 year tips

A photo of theshiningstar88 theshiningstar88
I am a student in gr.11, and I would like to go to any one of the following universities: UBC, U of T, McGill, U of A, and U of WO (Western Ontario). I would like to become a medical doctor, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice as to how I could achieve this dream. I have checked the sites of these universities for their admission GPA's, but have found information for only some of these schools.
Secondly, I would like to know what type of GPA I should aim for so that I could have a chance at being accepted into these universities. Lastly, I would like some tips on how to survive the gr.12 year. Many of my friends who are in gr.12 say that things get very busy during gr.12 because people are trying to get themselves together for university. If you guys have some tips on how to succeed during this time, please share them.
Thank you!!! :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Well, that means you would have to get into Med School.
I'm going to assume you are aiming to get a BSc?
To get into UBC and McGill, and maybe even U of T and UWO.. I would say to aim for at LEAST a 90%.. the higher, the better, of course.
Might be able to get by with something in the high 80's for U of T and UWO if you have an amazing supplemental
U of A is lower.. I think you only need 75% for regular admission, but I got in early admission with around a 95%.
If you're looking to do programs like honours or co-op.. the averages might be a little higher.
But keep in mind that after you get into university, you would need to maintain at least a 3.8+ GPA to get into med school. :S

And it's true about being very busy. So make sure you have everything planned and organized, especially your courses. You don't want to end up having to change programs and faculties because you realize you don't have all the pre-req courses that you need. Study hard, but also have lots of fun, because it IS your last year of high school! Don't spend 24/7 with your textbooks, get some fresh air every now and then!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of newguy1 newguy1
You should always aim for 100% because if you get close but don't succeed you can step back and say "wow I've got a 95 :)."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
I don't think 100% is very realistic.
Don't think I've heard of ANYONE having a 100% average.
If you set your expectations so high, you'd be driving yourself crazy if you don't get 100% on EVERYTHING.
I think anything from 90%-95% is good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RML0245 RML0245
Okay, so according to the Maclean's magazine, these are the minimum averages for a student entering a science program in the first round of admissions:
U of BC: 88%
U of T: 75%-83% (dependent on program)
McGill: 88%
U of A: 73%
Western: 86%

Also, have you considered McMaster's health sciences program? It's super hard to get into, but if you take it, you'll have all the pre-requisites needed to apply to any med program. You need at least a 90% to apply though.

I'm also in grade 11, but I'm certainly not interested in going into medecine. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, but one thing I love about my school is that most kids take a fifth year. This takes off a whole bunch of the pressure because you can take more spares, take some fun courses and redo any courses that you didn't do well in the first time. I don't know where you are, but if this is an option, you might want to consider it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Those averages are the BARE MINIMUM averages probably.
Haven't heard of anyone getting into McGill sciences with only an 88.. same with UBC.. or U of T.
The only one that sounds believable to U of A probably.
Was this helpful? Yes 0