yconic - What If I Didnt Get Accepted
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What If I Didnt Get Accepted

A photo of StressOfLife StressOfLife
Hello,
The university of Waterloo accepts approx. 100 students for optometry when approx. 500 apply. My question is what about those other 400 who didnt get to make it :silent:. I read through these posts and see only of the successful ones, and nothing/not much about the career/possible paths that could extend from not being admitted to the program. So for optometry at Waterloo, what could i do with those 3 years of pre-req science courses? I am just looking for possible ideas out there.

-Thank You for your responses :bigsmurf:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
That's pretty much the same with pharmacy, which is what I want to do.
I thought about this too.
You could..
finish off the 4th year and get your Bachelors of Science in whatever degree, then apply again in your 4th year...
Or maybe.. dundundun.. med school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Unfortunately with just a BS/BA, you can't really do much unless it happens to be a BSc nursing or P. Eng. You'll most likely have to go to professional/grad school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
McDonalds............ :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nazzealcozai nazzealcozai
You can always appeal their decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Newki Newki

@nazzealcozai wrote
You can always appeal their decision.

I agree with nazzealcozai
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Em64 Em64
You can settle for a "regular" desk job, odd job or what have you for a year while intensely looking for real-world experience in your field (conferences, guest lectures, volunteering with an optometrist or professor, showing you're a humanitarian etc). You could even casually do one or two courses to improve your grades or gain breadth. Then reapply. Or try to do a masters in some field of science and apply after that. Fill up your year with things that will improve your chance of getting in and then reapply. If you don't get in numerous times, keep your eyes and mind open to other opportunities that might interest you. You can't control everything!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KateDorotheou KateDorotheou
If you dont get in, its not the end of the world. Take the time to do things that need doing: work a job, volunteer, get extra credits, travel... There are so many things you can do to not only improve your application the next year, but also, you as a person.

Going to University right after high school seems to be the norm now, but that doesnt mean you have to. Take the given time to become an adult and really be ready (this is the next chapter of your life, you know?).

Also, there is a lot you can do with a BSc or a BA but generally, it seems like no matter what youre majoring in, youre going to have to go to graduate school, so be prepared for that, even if you do get into your program.

Good luck, though! Im sure you have just as good a chance as any of those other 500 :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deja deja
Hi my name is deja and i currently allpied to four colleges nd only recieved a reply from one. if i dont getaccepted to any of the programscan i apply for the next semester? or is it wiser to wait a full year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi, are you sure the other colleges received your applications? Because usually after applying they will contact you to let you know they received your application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hardlymysterious hardlymysterious
Become a pilot in the air force!! That's what I'm gonna do if I don't get into medical school. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Keyons Keyons
I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get accepted. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
Suicide is then your only option, friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0