yconic - What is better to pay for a product with $$$ from your pocket or get a loan?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What is better to pay for a product with $$$ from your pocket or get a loan?

A photo of Businessman Businessman
What is better to pay for a product with $$$ from your pocket or get a loan and pay it off slowly while keeping most of the money in your pocket.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Businessman wrote
What is better to pay for a product with $$$ from your pocket or get a loan and pay it off slowly while keeping most of the money in your pocket.

Depends on the rate of financing, and the opportunity cost of your investment. I don't necessarily think that one is BETTER than the other. It depends a lot on how much risk you're willing to take.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What kind of product? You should always live within your means, unless you're making a large purchase like a house. You should avoid buying things like furniture, computers, etc. with a loan. "Rent to own" is also a huge scam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Loans generally suck. I'd say if you can't afford it, you probably don't need it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
The only good loan is a mortgage
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am actually thinking about buying a laptop and paying it off in 2 years. Most likely I will pay it off in less than 1 year. Thats the only item I really need. I have enough money to buy it for cash. However, I want to keep some extra money on my bank card in case opportunities will arise.

@ktel wrote
The only good loan is a mortgage

I want to disagree with you. There are lots of risks with buying a house and taking a mortgage. You can buy a house today and tomorrow real estate bubble may blow up and you will be screwed big times.

The only good loan is your student loan. Thats the best loan which you will ever get in your life.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Businessman wrote

The only good loan is your student loan. Thats the best loan which you will ever get in your life.

Unless you rack up a ton of student loans for a useless degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@ktel wrote

@Businessman wrote

Unless you rack up a ton of student loans for a useless degree.

This x19821789091.

Student loan debt has surpassed credit card debt in the states
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@chatmike wrote
Student loan debt has surpassed credit card debt in the states

That's also because Americans have lowered their standards and thus a post-secondary degree is meaningless there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
And it's more meaningful here?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
anyway, you don't NEED a laptop. bring a desktop if you have one, and take notes in class on paper. use library computers for essays and stuff if need be. or buy a super cheap laptop. Unless you're planning to work a lot and will be able to pay it off soon, I don't think a loan for a laptop is worth it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If I had enough money to pay for my college/university I would still take a loan and invest my money elsewhere. While you are still attending school you dont have to pay any interest rates on your loan.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Get a crappy laptop and run some user-friendly distro of linux or Windows XP. I didn't use my laptop for anything other than watching movies, checking mail, erratic browsing and write-ups.

Besides, there really is no point in getting a high end laptop/desktop unless you game.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
Pay cash
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
If I were in this certain situation...I would certainly go for pay the with money (pocket). Unless it is something you are certain you need and can pay the loan in x amount of months.

If it is an electronic...for sure pay from pocket. By the time you pay off the loan the technology will be dated.

Furniture...maybe.

Car...I would take a loan, but not for long (3 years MAX).

Well that's my opinion.

Was this helpful? Yes 0