yconic - What is going on with UW constantly extending the AIF deadline?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What is going on with UW constantly extending the AIF deadline?!

A photo of napinhei napinhei
I'm getting super stressed now. With my average, there is no reason Waterloo should reject me. I was confident that I'd be getting into their Honours Arts program, but now I'm starting to doubt myself. This is making me crazy because Waterloo is my first choice!

The reason I'm stressing is because, according to the official Waterloo Arts Facebook page, the AIF form deadline has been extended again. They are now due March 25th. Shouldn't they only be doing this if there is room left in their Honours Arts program? I would imagine so, but in order to determine whether there is room, don't they have to review everyone's application to determine that they are below the capacity of admissible applicants?

According to Quest, no decision has been made for me. I can only imagine that they haven't reached me yet in order to evaluate me. If that is the case, they haven't necessarily gotten far enough to determine that there are a vast number of spaces available. Should this not lead me to think that they've already looked me over and are now waiting until the end of May to reject me? Or am I just being paranoid? Ugh, I'm freaking out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
Your just parnoid. I'm sure you'll get accepted in may. Dont worry, be happy. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bcd92 wrote
Your just parnoid. I'm sure you'll get accepted in may. Dont worry, be happy. (:

Ha, thank you. :)

It is just so hard, you know? Finding out that they'd extended it a second time is unnerving. How could there possibly be so many people who failed to fill in the AIF? It just makes me think they are opening up to new applicants because they feel the current ones that they have not yet accepted aren't up to snuff. :|
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
I dont really like how they keep on extending it. They are giving a chance to people who, likely, do not deserve it. This year, I think they wanted to make th AIF mandatory but I hope the will realize that it is pointless to do so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Bscit wrote
I dont really like how they keep on extending it. They are giving a chance to people who, likely, do not deserve it. This year, I think they wanted to make the AIF mandatory but I hope the will realize that it is pointless to do so.

That was what I was thinking as well! It should be treated like prerequisite courses. If you don't comply, you lose your chance. They had the opportunity -- a very long one -- to write it. If they didn't realise they had to do it, they clearly didn't care enough to read any emails or take the time to look into the 'next steps' page. If they haven't done those things, I don't think they deserve a spot. Maybe a bit harsh, but that is my honest opinion.

Also, I thought it was definitely mandatory. It was how they made it seem. If they want to give a chance to people who haven't done it, they should only do so after making admission decisions on everyone who did comply with the AIF requirement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout
i dont know why they are extending it more...but yeah, it's probably because they have room for more people.

I already got accepted to Honours Arts, and Honours Arts and Business with Coop.

My friends got accepted to Waterloo Arts, too.
We all got accepted in February/March.

What's your average like? They give out a lot of early offers to those who are only applying to Arts programs. You should get an acceptance soon, if your average is decent! Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

See? I just don't understand that. Like, I still haven't heard anything. My high school average wasn't great -- particularly by Studentawards standards thanks to an extremely poor math mark -- at 79 or 80 in my top six, but I've been out of high school for three years. I emailed the admissions office asking, since I've been out of high school for a while and attended college, whether my admission would be based on high school or college marks. They guaranteed me that it would be based on college.

Now, taking that into consideration, I should have gotten early acceptance. By the first week of January, UW received all of my transcripts. There are no potential grades coming in because I withdrew from my college program, so they aren't waiting on anything. I assume you're in high school, right? So they haven't received your final grades! That doesn't seem fair to me. Though my high school average was only 79/80, what should matter is the 3.8 average I received in the Art and Design certificate program I completed, and the 4.0 average which I received in the first semester of the college diploma program in Design. Since they are basing my admission on these college grades, I'd consider that pretty decent. Certainly decent enough for early acceptance back in February, or even in March.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WhiteNoise WhiteNoise

@napinhei wrote
I'm getting super stressed now. With my average, there is no reason Waterloo should reject me. I was confident that I'd be getting into their Honours Arts program, but now I'm starting to doubt myself. This is making me crazy because Waterloo is my first choice!

The reason I'm stressing is because, according to the official Waterloo Arts Facebook page, the AIF form deadline has been extended again. They are now due March 25th. Shouldn't they only be doing this if there is room left in their Honours Arts program? I would imagine so, but in order to determine whether there is room, don't they have to review everyone's application to determine that they are below the capacity of admissible applicants?

According to Quest, no decision has been made for me. I can only imagine that they haven't reached me yet in order to evaluate me. If that is the case, they haven't necessarily gotten far enough to determine that there are a vast number of spaces available. Should this not lead me to think that they've already looked me over and are now waiting until the end of May to reject me? Or am I just being paranoid? Ugh, I'm freaking out.

You have every reason to be freaking out. You most likely won't get accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@WhiteNoise wrote

@napinhei wrote

You have every reason to be freaking out. You most likely won't get accepted.

Quant, do you not remember the last reply I gave to you? GO AWAY. Your personal attacks are getting old and they foster a hostile environment. People like you need to go elsewhere to troll. A forum for people interested in furthering their education, and getting help is not the place. Stop being a d-bag.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jsonga Jsonga
I'm not too sure why so many people on this forum are freaking out about not getting early admission. The bulk of offers go out in May and for all you know the school may have a different way of screening applicants from college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout

@napinhei wrote
See? I just don't understand that. Like, I still haven't heard anything. My high school average wasn't great -- particularly by Studentawards standards thanks to an extremely poor math mark -- at 79 or 80 in my top six, but I've been out of high school for three years. I emailed the admissions office asking, since I've been out of high school for a while and attended college, whether my admission would be based on high school or college marks. They guaranteed me that it would be based on college.

Now, taking that into consideration, I should have gotten early acceptance. By the first week of January, UW received all of my transcripts. There are no potential grades coming in because I withdrew from my college program, so they aren't waiting on anything. I assume you're in high school, right? So they haven't received your final grades! That doesn't seem fair to me. Though my high school average was only 79/80, what should matter is the 3.8 average I received in the Art and Design certificate program I completed, and the 4.0 average which I received in the first semester of the college diploma program in Design. Since they are basing my admission on these college grades, I'd consider that pretty decent. Certainly decent enough for early acceptance back in February, or even in March.

Yes, I'm in high school. And they HAVE received this year's "final grades" - they received my last semester's term 2 final marks, with an average of 92%. I got early acceptance, so I guess they looked about my 85% average from last year.

Maybe it's different when they're looking at your college marks. Maybe they give out the offers to you guys in like May?? Did you ask if your college courses are even applicable towards your "top 6"? Like in high school, we need six 4U/M courses. Do you know if there's any specific college requirements?

Sorry, I'm not really sure about college courses. I never even knew they can take college grades. Lol. Call them and ask about it! Be persistent! 3.8 average is pretty damn good!
Was this helpful? Yes 0