yconic - What is my chance of getting into Western's biomed and general science programs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What is my chance of getting into Western's biomed and general science programs?

A photo of stephaniereesor stephaniereesor
So I've applied to both Western's biomed and general science programs. I have an 86.3% average right now, which I hope will be enough to get me an acceptance. I am also in the process of filling out the "extraordinary contributions to citizenship and extracurricular achievements profile" just in case. I heard the cutoff for general science is about 83% and biomed 86%, is this true? Will I be admitted to both? Does anyone have any advice/know how much I should try and raise my mark? I think I could manage an 87%-88% if I worked my butt off, but will I get in if I maintain my current marks?
Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of songs songs
I currently have an 86.5%. Haven't even started calculus yet, and I got accepted to both programs yesterday.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
You'll almost certainly get into general science; biomed - maybe. Whatever though. As long as you can get into general science, you'll be fine. Switching from general science to biomed is truly effortless.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
You'll almost certainly get into general science; biomed - maybe. Whatever though. As long as you can get into general science, you'll be fine. Switching from general science to biomed is truly effortless.

Does Western give you alternate offer if you don't get into Biomed?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorGaga DoctorGaga
no im pretty sure they dont
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ That's right - no alternate offers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cindyzhu cindyzhu

@songs wrote
I currently have an 86.5%. Haven't even started calculus yet, and I got accepted to both programs yesterday.

omggg reallyy?? congratulations!!!!!!
Is that counted as an early offer?
I just have a question:
you said your mark is 86.5% ?
IS that your first semester mark? or it's your grade 11 mark?

I have like a 92ish average right now:)))
please wish me luck:albino: :albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pupil pupil
A question to all:
If your mark is above the cutoff for a mark based program such as Western Biomed, are you basically assured a spot? I have found the early acceptances for Western Biomed to be really sporadic and I'm starting to get nervous.
Thanks,
Pupil
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just remember that the first round of offers is based on grade 11 marks, so don't worry if you didn't do so well in grade 11 and haven't got an acceptance yet. That's to be expected.

Yes, if you're above the cut-off, then you'll get in. A cut-off is not a predetermined figure though. The cut-off for your year won't be known until like mid June. For the last few years, the cut-off for Western bio/med has been about 85-86%. If your top six average is between 85 and 87%, then you're in acceptance limbo; if it's greater than 87%, then I can pretty much guarantee you that you will eventually get in. Exactly when you'll get accepted depends on your grade 11 marks and first semester grade 12 marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Carter14 Carter14
I was planning on attending med school after university, would Western BioMed be a good option?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@Carter14 wrote
I was planning on attending med school after university, would Western BioMed be a good option?

yes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nAttiKinz nAttiKinz
I received early acceptance from Western Biomed on the 30th, and I don't remember where I read this but in the package they sent me it said I had to keep an 84% average to keep my acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zhenghong94 Zhenghong94
Hi guys, I know this is sort of off topic but I just got my final mark for semester one and its not looking so great. I was wondering what are my chances of getting into western biomed if I have these marks:
Semester 1 final:

physics-72 (not included in top 6 i hope)
advanced functions-77
idc- 93
eng- 83

Semester 2 midterms, Im pretty sure I can get at least:

calc- 90
chem - 90
bio - 90

btw, would phys be considered into my top 6 since the booklet says 2/3 sciences so im hoping they would take bio and chem?

top 6 average = 87-88

Also, I was wondering, with my sem 1 marks which is averaged to be around 81, am I already not considered to be one of the candidates for western biomed and they would just completely ignore my sem 2 marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@Zhenghong94 wrote
Hi guys, I know this is sort of off topic but I just got my final mark for semester one and its not looking so great. I was wondering what are my chances of getting into western biomed if I have these marks:
Semester 1 final:

physics-72 (not included in top 6 i hope)
advanced functions-77
idc- 93
eng- 83

Semester 2 midterms, Im pretty sure I can get at least:

calc- 90
chem - 90
bio - 90

btw, would phys be considered into my top 6 since the booklet says 2/3 sciences so im hoping they would take bio and chem?

top 6 average = 87-88

Also, I was wondering, with my sem 1 marks which is averaged to be around 81, am I already not considered to be one of the candidates for western biomed and they would just completely ignore my sem 2 marks?

The 3rd round of offer is in Mid May where they will look at your completed or in-progress 4U/M courses incl required subjects. So you do have a chance if your top 6 average is exactly what you predicted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zhenghong94 Zhenghong94
Oh cool thanx, but how high are my chances of being accepted? and lets say I can somehow get my top 6 average into a 88, do u think I will at least have a 70% chance of being accepted? and is there any supplementary forms that i can fill out in order for them to know more about me and increase my chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My grade 12 marks:

Advanced Functions: 85%
Studies of English Literature: 88%
Calculus: 89%
English: 90%
Biology: 90%
Drama: 92%
Classical Civilizations: 92%
Chemistry: 94%
Data Management: 94%

Chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@chelsealaurensinclair wrote
My grade 12 marks:

Advanced Functions: 85%
Studies of English Literature: 88%
Calculus: 89%
English: 90%
Biology: 90%
Drama: 92%
Classical Civilizations: 92%
Chemistry: 94%
Data Management: 94%

Chances?

Are you serious? Are you that worried? With marks all above 85 (the cut off) what do you have to worry about? Have more confidence in yourself. You'll need it to survive in University, chap.
Was this helpful? Yes 0