yconic - What is my chance to go to the states if I got 80% for my first year in ubc?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What is my chance to go to the states if I got 80% for my first year in ubc?

A photo of Skytruelove Skytruelove
I'm a student in ubc engineer. I got an average of 85% for my first year and I'm thinking about going to the states. What kind of universities do you think would accept me? Thanx!
Here are some of the courses I took and the mark I got:
phys 170 83%
chem113 77%
math101 72%
math221 74%
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of rxcpt rxcpt
pretty sure you don't have an 85% average with those grades.

If you want to go to a US school, go ahead. You might be able to get in to random state U, although I fail to see why that would be better than UBC. It's not like you'll be going to MIT or CalTech.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Do the schools like stanford, UCLA need an average more than 90%?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rxcpt rxcpt

@Skytruelove wrote
Do the schools like stanford, UCLA need an average more than 90%?

Your chances at Stanford are low. Very low. Apply if you want, but...

UCLA is more reasonable, but you'd need 60 credit hours. Also, the reason for transferring from UBC to UCLA eludes me.

If you want to know more, look up the schools you are interested in. You will find your answers there.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

UCLA is better than UBC in engineering. That's why i'm thinking about going to the states. Of course, I will only go to the schools which are better than UBC, or I won't transfer to anywhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
I don't see why you would do that to yourself. Not only will tuition be absolutely horrendously more, but you'll be in a new city (mind you a new COUNTRY), you'll have to do mountains of paperwork for canada, the U.S., UBC, and the new school, and you'll be disadvantaged in taking tons of transfer courses and summer school courses.

That's just my opinion, i wish you the best of luck if you decide to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Why??? You would be paying WAY more in tuition (unless you are an international student at UBC). Plus your first year university grades are not good enough to transfer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, I haven't decided whether to transfer or stay. I just need to know whether my score is good or bad. Or do I have the potential to go to a better university. Yup, I'm an international student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Your grades are bad, so you likely don't have the potential to transfer to a better university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0