yconic - What is the best program before MBA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What is the best program before MBA?

A photo of athrunxo athrunxo
A lot of people mentioned that programs such as HBA and Queen's Commerce somewhat overlap with the MBA program. I'm interested in going into finance and wanted to study Mathematics + Economics but there isn't a specific program for that. Also, would the Waterloo Math/CA program lead to a CFA designation as well as CA? Do Waterloo Accountants go to Bschool after undergrad? I looked on Harvard's Bschool websites and it states that 23% are from business administration undergrad programs and the other majority are from engineering and social sciences.

So my question is: What is the best program for MBA preperation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Doesn't really matter. High GPA, work experience, ECs and volunteering matter. If you are in a prestigious and competitive program, that could help too, but you need the other stuff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Math/CA gives you the tools to become a CA and CFA, but it would take a lot of time. Getting your CA requries 30 months work experience and CFA requires 40 (I think, it might be 45, not sure).

Good programs for pre-MBA that arent B-Schools include engineering, compsci, and math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of paramecium paramecium
What sort of volunteering matters?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dijcan dijcan
Choose a business undergrad program, that is compettive enough and still allows one enough time to shine outside school (This really counts for MBA or any other program).
Volunteering in something that you are passionate about is best as it shows you have diversified skill set.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of athrunxo athrunxo

@immaculatedx wrote
Math/CA gives you the tools to become a CA and CFA, but it would take a lot of time. Getting your CA requries 30 months work experience and CFA requires 40 (I think, it might be 45, not sure).

Good programs for pre-MBA that arent B-Schools include engineering, compsci, and math.

If I had 40 months of work experience, does that count towards both the CA and CFA designation? It would be killing two birds with one stone if that's possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0