yconic - WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BSC (HONOURS) AND BSC (GENERAL)?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BSC (HONOURS) AND BSC (GENERAL)?

A photo of Sweet99 Sweet99
Hey, I have accepted my offer to Queen's for BSc (hon). I am not 100% sure what the difference between the hon program and just general.

Thanks for the help
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
In most cases it's simply the number of credits you end up taking for your degree.

However there are usually also averages that students in each program have to maintain. Like a B+ for honours or else you will be dropped to general.

Honours on your degree looks better, it shows that you've taken more courses, therefore have more knowledge and you did well enough to stay in that stream.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
The difference between "general" and "honours" depends on the school and the program. The honours might mean that you have to complete an honours thesis, more courses than the general, more advanced courses than the general (e.g. there might be a requirement that you have to take at least 3.0 400- or 4000-level courses in the honours but no similar requirement in the general), get a higher average or get no lower than a certain mark in any of your courses... could mean all of these things, could mean any combination of these things, could even be something else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0