What is wrong with our generation?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What is wrong with our generation?

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Just post any general thoughts on what is wrong with our generation on this thread. <br>Any comments?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
205 replies

A photo of littleroom littleroom
The music on the radio sucks. And so does this forum's speed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I think our generation is too apathetic when it comes to politics, voting, and following the happenings of what's going on in our federal, provincial, and municipal governments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mark Alan Wilson Mark Alan Wilson
I worry about our generation because I think previous ones have been a more "why?" generation that asks questions and forms opinions from that, creating many innovations as a result. However, I think we are more of a "how?" generation that just wants to know how it happens so they can get a good mark come test time and that's it, we forget all about it later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@littleroom wrote
The music on the radio sucks. And so does this forum's speed.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mark Alan Wilson Mark Alan Wilson
I also feel like we are a generation that when things don't go our way, we just let them happen again and again and never do we get up and fight back so we are always in this spiral of failures when we celebrate such minuscule victories.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GuruBlathers GuruBlathers
In one word: leadership.
This generation has absolutely no leadership skills at all. In previous generations we had leaders that commanded respect out of all citizens and you did whatever they told you. Sure, you can argue that these people were cruel dictators and you did what they told you out of fear and not love, but is that so bad?
Am I arguing for an autocratic state? No. Not unless it can be run by me. And if I do gain power, I can guarantee that the people will both love and fear me. The people will love me so much that they will fear how much they love me. And isn't that what leadership is all about?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Boo hoo. Pretty sure every other generation has questioned itself too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@Mark Alan Wilson wrote
I worry about our generation because I think previous ones have been a more "why?" generation that asks questions and forms opinions from that, creating many innovations as a result. However, I think we are more of a "how?" generation that just wants to know how it happens so they can get a good mark come test time and that's it, we forget all about it later.

+1
I agree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dbrenpong dbrenpong
we're lazy, and very ignorant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilhan ilhan
i think that this generation is actually pretty good. This generation as in the teens today, considering that their smarter when it comes to taking drugs, are more educated compared to the older generations, have seen technology advance right before our eyes like when i was 6 there were video cassettes and in grade 5 the walkman CD player was in, then in grade 7 there was the ipod and so on and so forth. I mean you dont see hippies, and teen boys in flare jeans and bands around their heads with wild colored opened dress shirts flashing their chests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's really frustrating to see all the self-loathing people have of their generation. The Good Ol' Days were actually not that golden, so stop being seduced by it.

@ARMY101 wrote
I think our generation is too apathetic when it comes to politics, voting, and following the happenings of what's going on in our federal, provincial, and municipal governments.

Yes, except for the fact that you always hear about protests and NGOs being started by and participated in by people young and old.

[quote=Mary Alan Wilson]I worry about our generation because I think previous ones have been a more "why?" generation that asks questions and forms opinions from that, creating many innovations as a result. However, I think we are more of a "how?" generation that just wants to know how it happens so they can get a good mark come test time and that's it, we forget all about it later.[/quote]

I don't know where you got this idea. I find that people are still just as interested in the "Big Questions" as they ever were. You sound like you're describing high school.

@Mark Alan Wilson wrote
I also feel like we are a generation that when things don't go our way, we just let them happen again and again and never do we get up and fight back so we are always in this spiral of failures when we celebrate such minuscule victories.

That's how all of history has been. Just because we learn about the magnificent revolutions of the past doesn't mean that in between those events people weren't apathetic.

@GuruBlathers wrote
In one word: leadership. This generation has absolutely no leadership skills at all. In previous generations we had leaders that commanded respect out of all citizens and you did whatever they told you. Sure, you can argue that these people were cruel dictators and you did what they told you out of fear and not love, but is that so bad?

Yes, that is bad. Really awful, actually.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'd say we are pretty apathetic. But who cares...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hSkeoch hSkeoch
i've noticed in English class.. my teacher wants us to learn how to learn, when all us grade 12s just want an awesome mark for our transcript to get into the school of our choice. we should really be interested in the 'learning skills' but we're just too lazy and want our teacher to simply tell us what they want.
we do whatever our teachers tell us just to get 100%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tkdfan tkdfan
Nothing is wrong with our generation! We are the generation that everyone has been waiting for! We need to make a difference!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote
Yes, except for the fact that you always hear about protests and NGOs being started by and participated in by people young and old.

There has always been involvement in activist protests and other annoying nuisances. That doesn't mean my statement is wrong. Anyone can go out and protest or say "FUR IS BAD" in front of a building. That doesn't mean they're politically involved.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I'd say we are pretty apathetic. But who cares...

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Funny guy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of strawberrt strawberrt
ignorance and being self-absorbed. People just don't care for other people's well beings anymore. You don't see neighbours bringing food to people who just moved in nor acknowledging a person who is in a sticky situation. It's quite saddening actually
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@littleroom wrote

There has always been involvement in activist protests and other annoying nuisances. That doesn't mean my statement is wrong. Anyone can go out and protest or say "FUR IS BAD" in front of a building. That doesn't mean they're politically involved.

Then what is political involvement? You expect everyone to be a Gorbachev or Guevara to be politically involved? And it's not as lonely an effort as you make it. There a huge crowds that come out for many issues, and they do more work than standing in front of buildings (i.e. NGOs).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@littleroom wrote

Then what is political involvement? You expect everyone to be a Gorbachev or Guevara to be politically involved? And it's not as lonely an effort as you make it. There a huge crowds that come out for many issues, and they do more work than standing in front of buildings (i.e. NGOs).

Haha. Like I said before, a few annoying protesters saying "FUR IS MURDER!" or "We want free tuition" is hardly political involvement. I meant legitimately supporting the government and being involved in party politics, rather than annoying interest groups.

Political involvement also reflected in voter turnout, and we constantly see that young people don't vote very much ( http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/2010-19-e.htm#a2 ).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@littleroom wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@littleroom wrote

Haha. Like I said before, a few annoying protesters saying "FUR IS MURDER!" or "We want free tuition" is hardly political involvement. I meant legitimately supporting the government and being involved in party politics, rather than annoying interest groups.

Political involvement also reflected in voter turnout, and we constantly see that young people don't vote very much ( http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/2010-19-e.htm#a2 ).

You don't have to support the government to be politically involved. And you've yet to show how NGOs are not politically involved. NGOs are not loners walking around with signs.

And the number of young people voting has been dropping since 1974, so I don't see how that's a problem with our generation. That's a problem with young people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RamyaB RamyaB
This generation is too fat and unhealthy, too lazy, too greedy. But we are more adaptable and open minded. We can really change things if we really want to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan

@RamyaB wrote
This generation is too fat and unhealthy, too lazy, too greedy. But we are more adaptable and open minded. We can really change things if we really want to.

Obesity and same-sex marriage for all! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anita.tran anita.tran
Technology (texting, MSN, facebook ...) and how the English language and communication between ACTUAL people is getting less and less. It's really sad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anita.tran anita.tran

@GuruBlathers wrote
In one word: leadership.
This generation has absolutely no leadership skills at all. In previous generations we had leaders that commanded respect out of all citizens and you did whatever they told you. Sure, you can argue that these people were cruel dictators and you did what they told you out of fear and not love, but is that so bad?
Am I arguing for an autocratic state? No. Not unless it can be run by me. And if I do gain power, I can guarantee that the people will both love and fear me. The people will love me so much that they will fear how much they love me. And isn't that what leadership is all about?

I agree with that comPLEEETELLYYY ! :) We don't really have any one to look up because anybody will tell you that "That could be you. You can do anything you wanted to." which is true, but then there will be no order in the world. In a way, all of us are just the same...
Was this helpful? Yes 0