yconic - what novel should i do for grade 12 english?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

what novel should i do for grade 12 english?

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout
my teacher is really strict.
anyway, we can't do any novel that was written before the year of 2000.
so, no 1984, lolita, or any of that.
we have to do a new, fresh novel.

what book should i do? is there any recent novel you know of that i can write a really good essay on? anything interesting?

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
Try Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami or The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Both written after 2000, and both are books of literary merit. Or at least, they've been suggested for AP exams before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of t920 t920
Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood. I found it interesting and there is enough material to write a really solid essay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Millow Millow

@HeroOfCanton wrote
Try Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami or The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Both written after 2000, and both are books of literary merit. Or at least, they've been suggested for AP exams before.

I've read both of these and enjoyed both of them, kafka on the shore much more though. The road is a much easier read though, you can finish it in a couple days.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but its nice to read something new. I'm talking about The Kite Runner or a A Thousand Splendid Suns both by Khaled Hosseini. Both of them are set in Afghanistan, but the characters travel. I found it interesting to read about a new culture. Also, if you're looking for some suspense, then I'd certainly go for either one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
It's a good idea to pick a book that can apply to almost any theme, read it multiple times so that you know it inside and out, then use it on every essay you can. I used Frankenstein in English 12 and finished with 100%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@xoblackout wrote

what book should i do? is there any recent novel you know of that i can write a really good essay on? anything interesting?

thanks

I recommend doing "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville for your independent study unit. I believe it was published in 1850.

This one is a classic. You will enjoy it, and so will your teacher.

It is also a very short and an easy read, so it's great if you have a heavy course load.

Enjoy!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brandonholmes brandonholmes

@Quiz wrote

@xoblackout wrote

thanks

I recommend doing "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville for your independent study unit. I believe it was published in 1850.

This one is a classic. You will enjoy it, and so will your teacher.

It is also a very short and an easy read, so it's great if you have a heavy course load.

Enjoy!

Only about 150 years too old, haha. Just kidding.

I recommend "Everyman" by Phillip Roth or "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood. Two pretty good novels with a lot you could make an essay out of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0