yconic - What PROGRAMS at WATERLOO?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What PROGRAMS at WATERLOO?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What three programs should I apply to at Waterloo, related to Business of course.

So far, I'm applying to:

1) AFM-PA
2) BBA/Math DD (UW/WLU)
3) Math/CA

I have some questions..
1) Should I apply to BBA/Math or BBA/Comp Sci. What are the advantages of each, which do you recommend?
2) Could I switch from Math/CA to the Double Degree (I heard you could), and if I am in the double degree, could I switch to let's say AFM or even Computer Science. I know this is complicated but I would love an option where you could easily switch to something else if most of the courses are similar.

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of g93 g93
1. Why are you applying to one of these? Don't just apply because you think it's a good program. I can't provide too much information on them. You could wait for an answer here or post on the "I'm a Double Degree Student" thread and Noxx will likely reply.

2. You might be able to transfer from Math/CA to the Math DD fairly seamlessly, but not the CS one. I believe if you were transferring to AFM you would have to apply for first year, and you wouldn't have many transfer credits (you'll fulfill math, econ and business, but none of the accounting, finance, speech com, stats, or international studies courses).

You can't just "switch" programs though. "Oh I'm in Math/CA but abracadabra! I'm in DD just the same as all the other 2nd years). Not to mention all of these transfers are quite competitive to transfer into- few spots.

I'd suggest contacting Waterloo for more information.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Okay. thanks for the input.
Not sure what you meant by #1 "Why are you applying to one of these".
I want to apply because I like Business and combining it with another specialization in Math or Comp Sci would be beneficial. The decision between the two is hard though. This was one of the points I was reiterating on, is it easy to switch from Math/BBA to Comp Sci/BBA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@2Seven wrote
Okay. thanks for the input.
Not sure what you meant by #1 "Why are you applying to one of these".
I want to apply because I like Business and combining it with another specialization in Math or Comp Sci would be beneficial. The decision between the two is hard though. This was one of the points I was reiterating on, is it easy to switch from Math/BBA to Comp Sci/BBA?

It's only beneficial if you have a use for it. I could get a degree in both accounting and engineering, but if I am only becoming an accountant the engineering degree will serve me little to no use (and cost me a ton of money and 4+ years of my life). Don't apply to a program because you think it's good, apply because you have a use for it.

I don't believe you could switch from Math/BBA to CompSci/BBA, as in one you will be taking math courses and in the other you will be taking computer science courses.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@2Seven wrote
What three programs should I apply to at Waterloo, related to Business of course.

So far, I'm applying to:

1) AFM-PA
2) BBA/Math DD (UW/WLU)
3) Math/CA

I have some questions..
1) Should I apply to BBA/Math or BBA/Comp Sci. What are the advantages of each, which do you recommend?
2) Could I switch from Math/CA to the Double Degree (I heard you could), and if I am in the double degree, could I switch to let's say AFM or even Computer Science. I know this is complicated but I would love an option where you could easily switch to something else if most of the courses are similar.

Thank you.

1) If you like CS do the CS one. If you aren't pulling 90+ in your math courses and/or cannot score highly on Euclid, do not take Math. Which is best for you totally depends upon you as a person. Tell me about where you want to go or what your strengths are (or check my Ask Me Anything thread).

2) Switching from amongst these programs is near ny impossible. AFM for example takes in 2-3 transfer students a year.
Switching from Math to CS is relatively easy as long as you were getting say 75 or 80+ in your CS courses. Switching from CS to Math would require you to have 75 or 80+ in all math courses. This past year I'd say there were around 5 people who switched from Math DD to CS DD. None went the other way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork

@Nick0rz wrote

@2Seven wrote

So far, I'm applying to:

1) AFM-PA
2) BBA/Math DD (UW/WLU)
3) Math/CA

I have some questions..

Thank you.

1) If you like CS do the CS one. If you aren't pulling 90+ in your math courses and/or cannot score highly on Euclid, do not take Math. Which is best for you totally depends upon you as a person. Tell me about where you want to go or what your strengths are (or check my Ask Me Anything thread).

2) Switching from amongst these programs is near ny impossible. AFM for example takes in 2-3 transfer students a year.
Switching from Math to CS is relatively easy as long as you were getting say 75 or 80+ in your CS courses. Switching from CS to Math would require you to have 75 or 80+ in all math courses. This past year I'd say there were around 5 people who switched from Math DD to CS DD. None went the other way.

What score should I be getting for Euclid if I'm applying to BBA/BMath
Is Bmath really like doing Euclid questions everyday?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
The Euclid score may not be a really great indicator of how well you will do. I know people who failed the Euclid and are getting 90s in their UW Math courses. Granted in my opinion, they aren't very talented in Math, just work really hard.

UW Math assignment questions are tricky sometimes but not too bad. The Euclid has a broad range of difficulty level for their questions. I don't know if this is a fair assessment or not but I'd say that most questions are in the Q4-8 level in terms of critical thinking, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0