yconic - What should I do? (Mainly about admission requirements) PLEASE HELP
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What should I do? (Mainly about admission requirements) PLEASE HELP

A photo of nervouswreck nervouswreck
Okay, so I applied to Carleton (for Social Work), Ryerson(for Social Work) and OttawaU (for joint honours in Criminology/Women's Studies). I got into OttawaU, but I won't be going there. Carleton required a supplementary application with an essay, a personal statement, volunteer experience, and two recommendations. Ryerson's only requirement was a minimum of 70% in ENG4U.

Here's the deal: I really want to go to Ryerson because I really want to go to Toronto. Last semester I had english, law, history and world issues (all U level courses). I got mid to high eighties in all of my courses except for english, in which I got a 68 on my final report card. I would love to go to Carleton if it was in Toronto but alas. I have a good feeling I'll get into Carleton but the problem is my acceptance to Ryerson.

English was my last period class, and I've been going through some personal and emotional problems for the past little while so I missed a good amount of classes going to a psychotherapist. My teacher and I didn't really get along and I didn't feel comfortable talking to her about my personal life because of that reason. Because I always did good on the essays in class and I did okay on the tests, I thought she would at least give me a 70. My therapist has said that she would contact my school and vouch for me and do whatever she can in any way to help get me into Ryerson. I recognize the low mark is my fault, I just really want to go to Ryerson.

So does anyone have an experience with this kind of stuff? Could my therapist contact my school? Can the marks on OUAC even be changed? Should I attempt explaining this to the admissions at Ryerson? Will Ryerson consider me for the second wave (or maybe even acceptances they send out in July) of offers they send out in May, for the people who didn't meet the original requirements? Or do I have no chance and should I just cut my losses and retake English online and reapply to Ryerson next fall? I don't know what to do.

Also, Ryerson's site has this bit of information on it:

Second Offers (for students who did not meet the criteria for First Offers) commence in early May.
Second Offers are based on your best six Grade 12 U/M courses (final or mid-term grades).
Unless otherwise noted in your Offer of Admission, Offers will be issued on the following conditions: a final overall average of at least 70 % in your best six Grade 12 U/M courses AND a final mark of at least 60 % in all program subject prerequisites, depending on the program.

Does this mean they may consider me even though I did not meet the original requirements?

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME I JUST WANT TO GO TO RYERSON! THANK YOU!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Jsonga Jsonga
Was it honestly worth risking admission to your preferred school because you can't simply sit and talk with your teacher about it? If you got a 68 then bumping you up 2% really shouldn't have been an issue if you talked to your teacher beforehand.

If your marks have already been submitted to OUAC I doubt they can be revised. Call Ryerson to see if your application will be reviewed if you get a 70+ final grade.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jsonga wrote
Was it honestly worth risking admission to your preferred school because you can't simply sit and talk with your teacher about it? If you got a 68 then bumping you up 2% really shouldn't have been an issue if you talked to your teacher beforehand.

If your marks have already been submitted to OUAC I doubt they can be revised. Call Ryerson to see if your application will be reviewed if you get a 70+ final grade.

Yeah, obviously in hindsight I should have talked to her, but I honestly thought that with my test/essay scores I was going to get at least a 70 but I guess a lot of her marking was weighed on class participation. Any ways, it's not just "simply sitting and talking to my teacher", it was concerning mental illness and I just was not trusting or comfortable with her. I really am aware of what I should have done, I'm just looking for advice on what to do now.

I take full responsibility but a lot of students had the same issue with her. The guidance counsellor let it slip to a student that she isn't being allowed to teach grade 12 english because of her low average (she was also absent a lot and was an incredibly hard marker, I had a 90 in U english last year and I got a 68 this year)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@nervouswreck wrote

@Jsonga wrote

Yeah, obviously in hindsight I should have talked to her, but I honestly thought that with my test/essay scores I was going to get at least a 70 but I guess a lot of her marking was weighed on class participation. Any ways, it's not just "simply sitting and talking to my teacher", it was concerning mental illness and I just was not trusting or comfortable with her. I really am aware of what I should have done, I'm just looking for advice on what to do now.

I take full responsibility but a lot of students had the same issue with her. The guidance counsellor let it slip to a student that she isn't being allowed to teach grade 12 english because of her low average (she was also absent a lot and was an incredibly hard marker, I had a 90 in U english last year and I got a 68 this year)

speak to someone from Ryerson. Explain to them about your situation (your illness) and hopefully they will consider your application especially you did have 90 the year before. I know some universities like Ottawa can accept you and put you on probation and will ask you to upgrade your English mark via summer school/online. Good Luck !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aquarius wrote

@nervouswreck wrote

@Jsonga wrote

speak to someone from Ryerson. Explain to them about your situation (your illness) and hopefully they will consider your application especially you did have 90 the year before. I know some universities like Ottawa can accept you and put you on probation and will ask you to upgrade your English mark via summer school/online. Good Luck !

Thank you! I'll call Ryerson this week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Second Offers (for students who did not meet the criteria for First Offers) commence in early May.
Second Offers are based on your best six Grade 12 U/M courses (final or mid-term grades).
Unless otherwise noted in your Offer of Admission, Offers will be issued on the following conditions: a final overall average of at least 70 % in your best six Grade 12 U/M courses AND a final mark of at least 60 % in all program subject prerequisites, depending on the program.

Does this mean they may consider me even though I did not meet the original requirements?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@nervouswreck wrote

If it's not a competitive program , then yes you will get in but having said that it is better to call to confirm . You could also ask if there is someone in the admission that you can write to (special consideration profile) explain your circumstances and maybe they will let you get in early . I don't think admission is set in stone an is strictly based on grades alone. If this is the university you really want to go, if I were you I will just pick the phone and put things in motion.

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aquarius wrote

@nervouswreck wrote

If it's not a competitive program , then yes you will get in but having said that it is better to call to confirm . You could also ask if there is someone in the admission that you can write to (special consideration profile) explain your circumstances and maybe they will let you get in early . I don't think admission is set in stone an is strictly based on grades alone. If this is the university you really want to go, if I were you I will just pick the phone and put things in motion.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I called Ryerson's Social Work department and left a message (I think they're closed) and tomorrow I'm going to try and track down my english teacher from last semester and plead my case. I just wish I didn't wait so long to do this but it is what it is and I can only go from here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0