yconic - what should i do?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

what should i do?

A photo of CALpurplecat CALpurplecat
What should I do if i don't get accepted to any of my universities AT ALL? i've heard from people saying to go to community college and then reapply next year? like take a year off? I MIGHT come back next year to high school depending on the circumstances. I'm still waiting to hear from my universities. plus, midterms come in april and i hope to hear from them by then. I'm like really worried, which i know i shouldn't be. But, for now i'm trying to focus on getting my marks up for midterms. please help? do you have any recommendations or advice? Were/are you in this same situation as me? thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
you need to relax. a lot of acceptances come out around midterms. the latest you can hear from a uni is around end of may, which means plenty of time. if things dont work out, you could always repeat a year or go to college. depends on whatever works best for u.
im sort of in the same situation as you. the programs that i got accepted to are not the ones that i want to go to. i shouldnt have even bothered applying but anyhow, u dont need to worry, im sure ull get in somewhere. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
SAME SITUATION! I didn't get accepted last year so I stayed back for a 5th year of High School. It sucked ALOT at times but there's a reason for everything, i guess. I didn't apply to Waterloo last year but applied this year and that's where I'm going! So perhaps there's something else. But like @bcd92 said, it's still early, it's only the end of March! PM if you have any questions :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhenry137 jhenry137
The poster before me is right, and so is bcd92; you need to calm down and relax, especially since acceptances don't come around until mid-terms. However, if you're worried enough, this might help:

I was in the exact same boat as you were last year when I originally applied for Universities. My marks were good enough -- great, even -- but the programs were too full and somehow, I only made it into one program, which is odd. However, I ended up having a plan -- I went to high school for a victory lap and to help me decide what I wanted to really do. It helped me raise my marks even further to the high 90's and not low 90's and it helped me get a perspective on things I did incorrectly the previous year. I've also had a friend who got accepted nowhere, and she went back to high school to get better marks instead of college. Simple advice is try not to take a year off because odds are, you might not go back.

Hope this helps somewhat. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sabrinachiu sabrinachiu
Why did you guys choose to go back to high school and not college?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@sabrinachiu wrote
Why did you guys choose to go back to high school and not college?

college is a pointless option because you waste years doing something you necessarily didnt want to do. Going back to high school for even a year or half a semester gives you a chance to redeem yourself, get back on track, get into the programs you've dreamt about, and all in all get a job that you'll like doing for the rest of your life (or well atleast until retirement).

cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of salimush salimush
In my opinion if you're grades are good i would just work for a year if you dont wanna go to university just yet. You could make somewhere like 30 000 from working full time which is a lot of money. howeer if you dont get into universtiy i would just go back to highschool and do a victory lap. I dont know ahbout other schools but the highschool i go to there are alot of people that come back an extra year, simnply because they just dont feel ready to graduate and move on, and evryone of them that i have talked to have said that coming back for an extra year is the best thing they have done. They told me its so much easier the second time and more chill, and you have a much better and clearer idea of where they wanna go and what they wanna do with themselves. I think college will just be a waste of money if you know what you wanna do but just didnt havent gotten accepted to uni. Or u could have 2 classes per semester in the morning and work in the evening that way u save. Lots of options but in my opinion if i were you i would do a victory lap for a semester and apply to uni for january or or take few courses and work and save, or work for 1 semester and go to school for one semester. Its up to you GOOD LUCK!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sabrinachiu sabrinachiu
Wow where I live, I have never heard of anyone go back to high school cause they didn't get accepted into university. They would usually work, go to college, or go to an easier acceptance university. In my opinion, I think going to college is better than going back to high school. It's a lot cheaper than university and you could transfer into 2nd or 3rd year. So basically you're saving money and time. And in college, you could find out that what you wanted might not have been what you actually want (if that makes any sense at all lol). Wouldn't you be bored of high school and want something new? Very interesting topic here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@sabrinachiu wrote
Wow where I live, I have never heard of anyone go back to high school cause they didn't get accepted into university. They would usually work, go to college, or go to an easier acceptance university. In my opinion, I think going to college is better than going back to high school. It's a lot cheaper than university and you could transfer into 2nd or 3rd year. So basically you're saving money and time. And in college, you could find out that what you wanted might not have been what you actually want (if that makes any sense at all lol). Wouldn't you be bored of high school and want something new? Very interesting topic here.

Yeah going back to high school is also unheard of where I'm from (Alberta). You're not even allowed to. You have to go to a special high school if you do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0