yconic - What should my grade range be for an early acceptance?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What should my grade range be for an early acceptance?

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995
These are the universities I'm applying for in grade 12 and I'm currently in grade 11...

1.)http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190197_3099_0

2.)http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190205_725_0

3.)http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190208_301_0

For each of the universities can you please answer the following :D

1.) What grade range would I need for an early acceptance

Finally Question...

My grade 11 first semester marks were pretty bad I guess... I got 73 in eng. and 77 in math and this semester I got physics ( not taking next year ), Visual arts (M course), Accounting (M course) and Chem (U).

So if I got a 73 in english and a 77 in functions last semester can you please tell me I would approx. need this semester for each course in order to get in for an early acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
Well, Guelph's earliest acceptances are in February, and Waterloo AFM does not give out early acceptances (one round of offers in mid-late May). Not sure about Ryerson.

In order to get early acceptance, aim for at least 5% higher than the admission range. So if it says 75-80, aim for 80-85. Anything above that and you are almost guaranteed early acceptance (not sometimes they don't have all info to consider you).

It's simple math for what marks you need. Calculate with your top 6 Grade 11 U/M (with prereqs). Just aim for the highest marks you can get though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995

@caveman wrote
Well, Guelph's earliest acceptances are in February, and Waterloo AFM does not give out early acceptances (one round of offers in mid-late May). Not sure about Ryerson.

In order to get early acceptance, aim for at least 5% higher than the admission range. So if it says 75-80, aim for 80-85. Anything above that and you are almost guaranteed early acceptance (not sometimes they don't have all info to consider you).

It's simple math for what marks you need. Calculate with your top 6 Grade 11 U/M (with prereqs). Just aim for the highest marks you can get though.

So it's just about my grade 11 marks?
If I get a 82 average for second semester, I'm guaranteed an early acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@CatWarrior1995 wrote
These are the universities I'm applying for in grade 12 and I'm currently in grade 11...

1.)http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190197_3099_0

2.)http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190205_725_0

3.)http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190208_301_0

For each of the universities can you please answer the following :D

1.) What grade range would I need for an early acceptance

Finally Question...

My grade 11 first semester marks were pretty bad I guess... I got 73 in eng. and 77 in math and this semester I got physics ( not taking next year ), Visual arts (M course), Accounting (M course) and Chem (U).

So if I got a 73 in english and a 77 in functions last semester can you please tell me I would approx. need this semester for each course in order to get in for an early acceptance?

Not even looking at those courses I would say you need at least an 80% average for early acceptance to almost any Canadian university. Right now I would focus more on your grades. Try pulling them up more esp. for grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@CatWarrior1995 wrote

@caveman wrote

So it's just about my grade 11 marks?
If I get a 82 average for second semester, I'm guaranteed an early acceptance?

I believe Guelph's early acceptances are based off of only Grade 11 marks (they have a second round in late March/early April before the big round in May that would include first semester final marks). So if you are 80-85 (if you're above 85, you're all but guaranteed early acceptance) you could very well get early acceptance based solely off of your Grade 11 marks. I had two friends get into Guelph, one has ~89 average and the other ~86/87 or so. Someone else in my school I believe got in the first round with 80-85, but I'm not 100% sure. If you get early acceptance, you just have to maintain a certain average with your Grade 12 final marks, usually 5% below the cutoff or so. I believe Guelph was 70 last year.

Ryerson requires 77-82, so aim for 82-87. I'm sure it'll be similar to what i described for Guelph, although I think their first round is whenever you apply. Not quite sure, I'm a little unfamiliar with their admissions process.

Waterloo AFM has no early acceptances. Your invitation to the AFMAA (the test that is mandatory to write in order to be considered for admission) is based off of your Grade 11 marks and Grade 12 first semester. You need low-mid 80s (I think the cutoff is around 83) in order to get in (with a 75 in English). NOTE: If you don't have English in first semester, you will not be accepted with that 73 in English (they look at Gr.11 if Gr.12 is not taken yet). I'd suggest summer schooling if you really want in. There is one round of offers made in mid-late May. That's based off of Grade 12 marks only (as well as your AIF supplementary application and the AFMAA). Anyone who writes the AFMAA qualifies for acceptance, although realistically you probably want to aim for 87-91 area (the higher the better). But, they have accepted (and rejected) people with averages from 83 to 99, so that's not an absolute.

Also, my friend told me last year that if you apply to Guelph's Management Economics & Finance (still a BComm) instead of accounting, you are part of the co-op program (Accounting has no co-op) and you can still take all of the accounting courses. I would suggest speaking with an academic advisor at the school if this is something you're interested in.

Good luck, and try to bring those marks up!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of username22 username22
alot of my friends actually got early acceptances from waterloo
from programs such in enviroments to sciences to engineering.
most of them got theres in january-february
but some of them actually got it as early as october to november.

there averages were about mid 90's though.

for ryerson, you can get early acceptances in january if you have AT LEAST 85.
i'd say an 80 in grade 12 english is more, stable. but you should really get like 85+ if you want to get in early.. for all uni's, not only ryerson.

alot of universities say that they only start accepting after finals of semester 1 are recieved, in most cases are not true.
they're picking and choosing along the way from the start of semester 1.
Was this helpful? Yes 0