yconic - What should you wear to a university interview?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What should you wear to a university interview?

A photo of kimm kimm
Has anyone here gone to or plan on attending an interview for college/university?
I'm contemplating on what I should wear.

I'm male, and right now I'm thinking of wearing nice khaki pants with a golf shirt or V-neck sweater (if the weather is not too hot) with clean sneakers.

My parents think that I should wear a dress shirt with a casual jacket or atleast a dress shirt which I think may be too over the top?

I know an interview is more about what is said, but looks and first impressions are important too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Rela Rela
As you said, first impressions are important to an university interview. You want to show the interviewer that you care about the school. In this case, your parents are completely correct. Dress business casual, dress shirt and dress pants. However, wearing a tie and blazer would probably be over the top.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KarZ KarZ
I'd probably wear a nice dress shirt, roll up the sleeves up to about my elbows
a tie, tuck in my dress shirt
a nice shiny belt, and some dress pants
Also I'd make sure I ironed everything beforehand, so my pants have creases in them and my dress shirt isn't wrinkly

I always wore a white dress shirt with those dark turquoise air cadet pants and belt they give you. a nice pair of black dress shoes wouldn't hurt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
Can't go wrong with a nice, well fitting, casual suit and plain open collar shirt if it's a formal interview (ironed, dry-cleaned etc ofc), I'd agree tie could be over the top. Having said this, it depends how the interview is conducted and where. I have a friend interviewed for a top American Ivy, because he was in the UK his interview was conducted in a Starbucks in London by an international rep for the college who was wearing jeans and a T-shirt, he had been told it was 'informal' beforehand however.

Good Luck with the interview.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
Tuxedo, just dont bring your stepbrother or fart.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Business casual is good. Rather overdress than underdress.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
A suit is pretty standard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Suit and tie. Grey is preferable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
A leather jacket and some over-glittered jeans would be great. Remember: You want to leave an impression on the interviewer, and I assure you that they won't forget you if you do this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
CAP? I'd wear a suit. Everyone wears a suit to professional school interviews, I wouldn't treat this any differently.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@andrewk512 wrote
CAP? I'd wear a suit. Everyone wears a suit to professional school interviews, I wouldn't treat this any differently.

this.

all guys look so clean and neat wearing suits, haha. girls - can be awkward if it's not properly fitted.. suits are just awkward in general for me because its hard to find my size -.- thats why i like pencil skirts over dress pants.
Was this helpful? Yes 0