yconic - What teaching occupation is most in demand
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What teaching occupation is most in demand

A photo of 11lancava 11lancava
Which teaching occupation is most in demand? early years middle years or senior years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm thinking that primary grade teaching positions are lacking in the past couple of years, especially for males. This being said, if a male applies to a primary teaching position, he'll probably get it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katzel Katzel
I would agree with the last post in every area.

First of all, being a male is probably going to increase your chances of getting a teaching job, just because of the fact that there is a serious lack of male teachers.

In terms of what occupations are needed the most, I would assume that younger grades grades are more in demand, with middle school and high school following afterward.

In terms of teachables for High School teachers, french and math are the most in demand right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tatianolishka Tatianolishka
It really depends on where you're hoping to teach. Southern BC is seriously looking for high school teachers, particularily in French and Physics/Math, and some primary teachers after the introduction of full-day kindergarten last year. However as the population continues to shrink so does the number of classes, thus a shrink in demand for teaching staff. Manitoba is the province most searching for teachers, while Ontario is overrun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@11lancava wrote
Which teaching occupation is most in demand? early years middle years or senior years?

None of the above.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johnmarsh johnmarsh
According to my views primary grade teaching positions needs more as compare to other teaching occupations. Because Children of Primary Education need more attention and care and there should be a strong base of Character Education. It is important that there should be qualified and good teachers required for children of early age.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JessaBrown JessaBrown
I hear a lot of talk about there being a shortage in teaching positions in the next few years... although this might be only for certain subjects. For senior level I'm pretty sure there's a lack of physics teachers. For senior level the most popular teach-ables are things in the arts like English, history, etc. So those type of teachers are probably where the shortage will happen.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger
For the highschool departments, i would have to say that French teachers are in demand. I'm not so sure if you would even consider this department, but Ontario is in demand for special education teachers. (students with mental disabilities)
You would definitely be paid more than regular highschool teacher (estimating maybe 1.5 times more). HOWEVER, not to be offensive, you do not want to deal with retarded,over-aged students for the rest of your career. I see these teachers in my school always having to act as if they were talking to kindergardners.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joyce28 joyce28

@Pharger wrote
For the highschool departments, i would have to say that French teachers are in demand. I'm not so sure if you would even consider this department, but Ontario is in demand for special education teachers. (students with mental disabilities)
You would definitely be paid more than regular highschool teacher (estimating maybe 1.5 times more). HOWEVER, not to be offensive, you do not want to deal with retarded,over-aged students for the rest of your career. I see these teachers in my school always having to act as if they were talking to kindergardners.

I must disagree with you. I had a leadership placement in my school's community class. I absolutely loved it there. It was what made me really passionate about teaching. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing students progress, even just a little. I felt like I was making a difference everyday.

The students were very hardworking, and the classroom atmosphere was always very lively and interactive. The class size was only 10-12 students, so you really get a chance to get to know the students and come up with ways to help them understand class material. While it did take a while to establish a good rapport with every student, I feel like that's the same with every other class. As for "having to act as if they were talking to kindergarteners," a teacher should be flexible, and act appropriately depending on their class. The teacher of an academic class probably would not employ the same mannerisms in an applied class. That's just simply what works in a special education class.

Honestly, if I could, I would have stayed as a TA there for the rest of the year!

I didn't know about the higher salary for special education teachers, nor did I know about the demand for them. It was just what I wanted to do. Thanks for sharing.

@11lancava: Firstly, sorry for hijacking your thread... You have my sincerest apologies! Anyway, I know for sure French teachers at the high school level are needed at the moment. Every teacher I've come across recommends taking that route, especially since there is a glut of teachers in Ontario. I have heard that English and history teachers aren't in demand.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@11lancava wrote

Educational Assistants. Can never have enough of them, haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0