yconic - What the hell is an "alternate offer"?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What the hell is an "alternate offer"?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I applied at the University of Toronto main campus for Commerce. Today I got an acceptance letter for UTM (Mississauga) for Social Sciences.I was initially confused since I knew I applied for commerce, so I went on the OUAC website to check

I applied to three Universities, and now there is a fourth University automatically added (UTM), and it is listed as a "alternate offer"

What does this mean? Should I not expect a "normal" offer from them?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It means you didn't meet the admission requirements for your first choice program at U of T so they will give you something else.

Things to consider:

Your average is not high enough, missing prerequisite courses, etc.

Wait for Mid-Terms and maybe you'll be re-considered for your first choice.

But it's weird that they gave you an alternate offer to Social Sciences and not UTM Business or Commerce...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@Medic93 wrote
But it's weird that they gave you an alternate offer to Social Sciences and not UTM Business or Commerce...

It's probably utm commerce.
Karan, u should call uft admissions and double check with them. also, if you think that you'll meet their requirements by mid-term let them know. luck! (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of v70 v70
You're the second person on the forum that I've seen get alternate for Social Sciences. I also got an alternate to BComm, I got Studies in Business. They automatically reconsider your application to BComm once they receive your 2nd semester midterm marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WolfDale WolfDale
Aha, same thing here!

I applied for Comp Sci (1st choice for UofT), and Rotman.

My Comp Sci tells me to look at an alternate offer they sent me, but my Rotman one is still under review.

Why social science? I don't know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JK94 JK94
do all universities re-consider alternate afters after midterm marks for second semester are in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yolo30 Yolo30
Same!
I applied for BBA, and they gave me an offer for Social Sciences, however I can study Economics in there because I have a strong base in Economics. I got accepted to York for Finance and Business Economics so, i'm still deciding where to go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0