yconic - What universities should I apply to?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What universities should I apply to?

A photo of Atelophobia Atelophobia
Okay, so I'd like to apply in Canada to either General Science/Life Science/Health Science/Kinesiology. Something along those lines.
But what are some respectable schools, I need around 2 backups, 2 I can get into, 2 I have to work towards and then maybe 1 long shot.

Currently, my average is around 75 give or take. But now I have more initiative and better work ethic so I'm sure I will be in the 80s in no time.

Schools that I have heard of that are respectable here are: Western, Queens, Waterloo, Ottawa, UofT, MAC, Dalhousie, University of Alberta, University of Calgary, McGill and UBC.

Where do you think I should apply?

I also have EC's like 1st team basketball, cooking club and amnesty club. As well as a mediocre amount of volunteer hours.

I need a list of backups, ones I can get into, 50/50, and long shots.

Thanks!! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
with a 75.. you're about 90% guaranteed for U of A.. you only need 75 for general sciences at U of A.. as long as you keep that up.. you're good to go.
Wester, Queens, UofT, Mac, McGill.. they want averages around high 80s to 90s.. so you're looking at 50/50..
the UBC cut-off for sciences this year is 90% i believe.. so that's another 50/50

definitely try for U of A.. with a 75.. you're pretty much guaranteed.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright, thankyou!
But how come U of A's entrance averages are so low, but they're the fourth best university in Canada, ranking 78th top university in the world. :S

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/results
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dimitarlk dimitarlk
I'd say that UofT is probably a long shot iin your situation. If you work hard, you can get into Waterloo or MAC. A good backup would be a school like Ryerson or York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joyce09 joyce09
A 75 average is basically the minimum average for almost all university programs. Don't forget that some programs are very competitive and that having an average over the minimum doesn't guarantee they'll even look at yours if the program is competitive. I agree with trying for a more difficult university though, because you never know when they'll have a low number of applicants and decide to lower their minimum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stratton Stratton
Last year the average at Western for science admission was about 85, for health science 87-89, for biomed 87-89. That is what the representative said when he came to my school. That kind of seems like a long shot but science isn't that far away if you can get your marks up a bit.

Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Atelophobia wrote
Alright, thankyou!
But how come U of A's entrance averages are so low, but they're the fourth best university in Canada, ranking 78th top university in the world. :S

I asked my counsellor this too. Haha..
I think she said something about Alberta still having a kind of provincial exam that they count for marks still, so that's why the entrance averages are so low.
Whereas, in BC, our provincial exams are optional, so most people don't take them so that their marks are higher.
Something like that, unless my counsellor was completely wrongg.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

@Atelophobia wrote
Alright, thankyou!

I think she said something about Alberta still having a kind of provincial exam that they count for marks still, so that's why the entrance averages are so low.
Whereas, in BC, our provincial exams are optional, so most people don't take them so that their marks are higher.

So your saying that you have to take a provincial test or standardized test of some sort to get into UofA along with sending in your grades?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Atelophobia wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

@Atelophobia wrote
Alright, thankyou!

So your saying that you have to take a provincial test or standardized test of some sort to get into UofA along with sending in your grades?

NOOOOOO hahaha.. oh goodness no..
I meant the residents of Alberta have some sort of standardized tests that they have to write.
Unless you're a resident of Alberta.. then I'm not too sure...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danimac514 danimac514
Hello! I noticed that the University of Windsor was not on your list of Universities - I know it doesn't have the best reputation with some programs but as far a Human Kinetics, it's one of the best. Having graduated from there I can honestly say that the classes, profs and people are great! You don't have to take any manditory chemistry or physics classes unlike some other universities and they have a wide variety of classes to chose from. Just an idea to open up your choices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlexKim AlexKim
UBC has one of the finest science courses in all of canada, so i would recomend UBC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I have also heard good things about UBC, but it can be tough to get into their sciences program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ArchEnemy ArchEnemy
I would suggest applying to all schools that you would like to go to, irregardless of your grades. For all you know, they may accept you on the discretionary admission. In the event you're rejected, at least you tried. It's better than simply shutting out that option totally. A few extra bucks of application fees of which you'll probably be able to make back within a day or two working at 7-eleven. Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ksamograd ksamograd

@ArchEnemy wrote
I would suggest applying to all schools that you would like to go to, irregardless of your grades. For all you know, they may accept you on the discretionary admission. In the event you're rejected, at least you tried. It's better than simply shutting out that option totally. A few extra bucks of application fees of which you'll probably be able to make back within a day or two working at 7-eleven. Good Luck!

I agree! just apply to all schools, the worst that can happen is no, and not every school you apply for will reject you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AbbyGreene AbbyGreene
Trinity Western University in Langley is a very respectable school. Expensive and hard to get into, but definitely worth a try.
Was this helpful? Yes 0