yconic - What UTSG college ???
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What UTSG college ???

A photo of sandrinaf12 sandrinaf12
so i'm in grade 12 progesssing towards atttending UTSG for Political science and international relations, so I was wondering what would be the best college to be a part of, that has a good repuatation academically and socially . I am a person that likes to be a part of extra curricular activites, meet new people and try new things. And I know this is random but I'm also into those european style, victorian era buildings :colors:

and btw i'm not going to be stayinmg at residence so thatis not an influencing factor towards a college preference
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
Try Trin. Vic or UC are nice too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hanabanana hanabanana

@kraken wrote
Try Trin. Vic or UC are nice too.

I want to go to UTSG for Classics and Archaeology and I like both Trin and Vic. Can you give me an unbiased comparison between Trin and Vic? Like, how are the atmospheres? Are the students friendly? I know Vic gives out more scholarships but Trin is so pretty! Haha, I can't decide which one to rank as number 1.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
unbiased? heh, I'll try...

hmm, Trin has a nice atmosphere in some ways, it's really small and close knit... some people can be a bit stuck up/snobby but you just have to know who to avoid I guess. most people are nice. all the Vic people I know are super nice too. both have lots of smart people, and a fair amount of artsy/hipster types. and lots of gay people seem to go to both :D

yeah Vic seems to have more scholarships, Trin's big ones are only a few for top students. there are some smaller awards/bursaries though. Trin is definitely the prettiest. hmm both have lots of clubs and stuff you can join. Trin has lots of weird traditions like wearing gowns (robes) at formal dinner (optional, you can go to the other dining hall if you don't want to do this), bun fights at said dinner, the Lit (mock debating society which is pretty funny mostly), Pon (secret society which isn't too secret but is banned from college grounds lol), and a bunch of others. lots of parties/dances as well (we seem to be one of the few colleges to have regular on-campus events with booze. most just have off-campus club nights). I'm not as familiar with Vic but I'm sure the student life there is good too. Trin has the best frosh week :P

for non-res, both have a commuter lounge/common room with free food etc. never been in vic's but i hear there are pancakes. we have video games, tv, computer with printer, comfy couches, and fun times.

/end rant

on an unrelated note, the instructor for my classics course this term is really cute.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hanabanana hanabanana
Thanks so much! :cheers: That sort of does help. I'm going this weekend to walk around both colleges and try to get a feel for which one I like better.

@kraken wrote
on an unrelated note, the instructor for my classics course this term is really cute.

^YAY! Haha, I knew UTSG was a good choice lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
no problem! I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts afterward.

and not that there are a lot of cute instructors... this one is a smart young grad student though XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Brianrankin Brianrankin
I want to clear up a few things for you, because no one did for me last year, and it would've made a world of difference!
1. No college is better, get that right out of your head right away. There are brilliant, gifted, and wonderful people at every college.
2. You CAN take all classes no matter which college you're at.
3. Chose based on how you feel walking through the campus, do you feel like you belong there, etc. Because no matter how smart you feel being there, you won't do well if you're uncomfortable.
4. Make sure you look at each college's residence and meal plan options to see if they fit with what you want, and your lifestyle, etc.
5. I go to SMC (st.michaels) but that DOES NOT mean i'm religious in any way. So don't look at religious affiliation (vic, trin, smc) as important at all.

Above all, don't worry about it! No matter what college you choose(or get into) you're still at one of the top universities in the world, among students who are some of the best in the world! Feel proud, and get ready to work your ass off haha (seriously though, U of T is a meat grinder first year, but it's manageable and the profs are some of the best in the world)
Was this helpful? Yes 0