yconic - What's considered "amazing ECs" (for Ivey)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What's considered "amazing ECs" (for Ivey)

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was reading some of the forum topics and a lot of people are talking about "amazing ECs" or "good ECs" which I think is really general. So I would really appreciate it if some of you could give me an idea of what you think is considered "above average ECs" (preferably for Ivey).

Thanks a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

A photo of noble11 noble11
Ok, idk if the following are amazing, but they are mine and imo pretty decent for ivey and most other programs.

-Student Council Senior Rep
-Musician (piano)
-Rep basketball
-Houseleague Soccer
-School tutoring club

And others different sports/different school clubs, u get the picture. All of the ones I listed I have been involved with for some time, too tedious to write exact length down. Some other good ones would prob be School Band/orchestra, Environmental Club, and some other raising awareness clubs i guess. I went to Ivey's open house, and just keep in mind they arent looking for committment and excellence, so listing 15 EC's u have done for 3 months isnt the best, better to have 7-8 in which u have done for 3-4 years.

A good example of "excellence" as the prof put it:
-Recreational Baseball player
-Baseball team captain
-Play for 4-5 years
-Coach a younger age baseball team

So ya these are just some examples of good EC's, tons more out there, some ppl are crazy, jus be urself and you'll do fine. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noble11 wrote
Ok, idk if the following are amazing, but they are mine and imo pretty decent for ivey and most other programs.

-Musician (piano)
-Rep basketball
-Houseleague Soccer
-School tutoring club

And others different sports/different school clubs, u get the picture. All of the ones I listed I have been involved with for some time, too tedious to write exact length down. Some other good ones would prob be School Band/orchestra, Environmental Club, and some other raising awareness clubs i guess. I went to Ivey's open house, and just keep in mind they arent looking for committment and excellence, so listing 15 EC's u have done for 3 months isnt the best, better to have 7-8 in which u have done for 3-4 years.

-Baseball team captain
-Play for 4-5 years

So ya these are just some examples of good EC's, tons more out there, some ppl are crazy, jus be urself and you'll do fine. :)

Wow thanks a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed

@noble11 wrote

-Musician (piano)
-Rep basketball
-Houseleague Soccer
-School tutoring club

-Baseball team captain
-Play for 4-5 years

they are*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BigBMan BigBMan
"Amazing" should be different for everyone. Just know that they're looking to make sure that you can do more than just study and get good marks. And they will just make sure that you're not just joining clubs or doing whatever, just for the sake of getting in.

If you can look after the above two things, you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 120513 120513
ok i regret not joining more clubs and stuff
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
Not just being a member of clubs, but having leadership roles.

This can be in the form of:

Executive of a club
Executive of volunteering organization
Self-initiative in founding or starting something
Captain/manager of a sports team
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay..so how's this?
(I'm not going to name specific clubs just because I think it's irrelevant)

President and founder of a club
Treasurer of a club
Secretary of a club
Student Leader of a volunteer organization
Spent my summers volunteering at various organizations and institutes
Leader in school band
Piano
Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard
Pharmacist Assistant
On a sports team
Was a music tutor for a year
Approx 200 hours of volunteering

What would I be missing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@unibound888 wrote
Okay..so how's this?

Treasurer of a club
Secretary of a club
Leader in school band
Piano
Pharmacist Assistant
On a sports team

What would I be missing?

A life.

That's considered amazing EC's to me? The way I see it having good EC's consist of diversity and leadership. So a mix of school, community and sports involvement. All of which you have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne

@unibound888 wrote
Okay..so how's this?

Treasurer of a club
Secretary of a club
Leader in school band
Piano
Pharmacist Assistant
On a sports team

What would I be missing?

Those are really good ECs

Looking at my Ivey application, running down the list my ECs are:
-Regional Representative
-President
-Team Member
-Delegate @ a Conference
-Sports Team
-Mentor
-Long Term Volunteer (3 years)
-Executive
-President
-Sports Team
-Co-Captain
-Sports Team

And I have 12 awards including 2 international ones.

And I consider myself to have above-average ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@unibound888 wrote
Okay..so how's this?

Treasurer of a club
Secretary of a club
Leader in school band
Piano
Pharmacist Assistant
On a sports team

What would I be missing?

Those are really good ECs

Looking at my Ivey application, running down the list my ECs are:
-Regional Representative
-President
-Team Member
-Delegate @ a Conference
-Sports Team
-Mentor
-Long Term Volunteer (3 years)
-Executive
-President
-Sports Team
-Co-Captain
-Sports Team

And I have 12 awards including 2 international ones.

And I consider myself to have above-average ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wow great ECs!

There's one part of the application that asks about International Experience...but I really don't have any. So I'm kind of worried about that part of the application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo

@unibound888 wrote
Wow great ECs!

There's one part of the application that asks about International Experience...but I really don't have any. So I'm kind of worried about that part of the application.

Don't worry about it if you don't have any previous international experience. I didn't have any when I applied either (& I think it also asked if I started some kinda business/entrepreneurship thing & I left that part blank too).

It's not about the number of activities you put down but about the # of hours you spend doing each thing & what sort of things you've accomplished in your role. And I think they wanna see that you've done things in grade 9 & 10 too, that you didn't just all of a sudden sign up to do a million ECs in grade 12 b/c you suddenly realized how important ECs were in getting into some top programs in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I feel like the Ivey app is so brutal... getting all your contact infos and listing all your activities is killing me. Does anyone know if people looking it are particularly anal? I'm having difficulty listing the time period I did some activities in. For one, I've been a group leader for a conference that happens once a year for a week. So, do I say one week over the course of 3 years? Or do I say the amount of time I prepared for it over the course of 3 years?

Also, I've volunteered at the same camp for 3 years in a row, but only for one week durations, so it's a similar situation. I.e. One week in August 2006-2009 would be acceptable? Or is that too general?

I really feel like my EC's are lacking when compared to some of the "big boys" here and some of my friends, does anyone know how much Ivey cares about EC's in comparison to the written supplementary?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noble11 noble11

@onlymatthew wrote
I feel like the Ivey app is so brutal... getting all your contact infos and listing all your activities is killing me. Does anyone know if people looking it are particularly anal? I'm having difficulty listing the time period I did some activities in. For one, I've been a group leader for a conference that happens once a year for a week. So, do I say one week over the course of 3 years? Or do I say the amount of time I prepared for it over the course of 3 years?

Also, I've volunteered at the same camp for 3 years in a row, but only for one week durations, so it's a similar situation. I.e. One week in August 2006-2009 would be acceptable? Or is that too general?

I really feel like my EC's are lacking when compared to some of the "big boys" here and some of my friends, does anyone know how much Ivey cares about EC's in comparison to the written supplementary?

I'd say for your case, where it asks u to state "when" state the time period, but under responsibilities list exactly which week/timeframe u were involved. I know that Ivey cares quite a bit about EC's, they are looking for smart/involved people, and their written supplementary is important too, to see if you can put ur achievements to paper in a formal manner. Exactly what the weights are in comparisson im not sure, however if you have amazing EC's as long as your written is decent u should be good to go. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@unibound888 wrote
Wow great ECs!

There's one part of the application that asks about International Experience...but I really don't have any. So I'm kind of worried about that part of the aplication.

I've visited a few countries in Europe, Africa and Asia but I have no entrepreneurial experience.

However, I highly doubt that international experience or entrepreneurship is gonna play a huge role in admissions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

From what I've learned on this topic your best bet is to find a couple, even one, area that your really passionate about and persue that.

Have hundreds of cliche volunteering or EC activities doesn't make your application stand out, and tells the ivey school that you are kind of a dabbler versus being driven to a certain field.

Take that with a grain of salt, but there's no doubt specializing in your passion will give you an advantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay cool so I don't really need to worry about International Experience or Entrepreneurship since I have a set of decent ECs.

However, regarding the last post, do they really want a specific 'field' in which you did a lot of activities related to it (i.e. music and arts) or do they want to see the full you and have you list mostly everything you've ever done? I'm kind of getting mixed answers for this one...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Personally, I would diversify my EC's to make them look like I have a variety of interests. For the Activity section, in my top 3 (sequence crap), my first one is school, then community, then sports.

I do this because in all three, I have a pretty important leadership role. So it would make em look like I contribute all over the place. But I don't think it really matters, they probably just want to see if you can get involved and have a 90+ avg at the same time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
If you can manage to volunteer at a location such as a hospital or office you'll be considered (obviously with the support of a few teams as well)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote

Don't worry, you don't need like xxx exec positions to be considered. Just do the best you can, and list every possible thing you have done in high school. And just really boost about it on the 'responsibilities' section, but don't lie. There's a difference. I have three friends that got AEO last year, and they said Ivey actually checked one or two of their references, so be careful. Also if you have 90+ which you probably do because you're applying for Mac Health Sci, I wouldn't worry too much... as long as I have mediocre EC's and a good essay response.

One of my friend's got in with a 88. something.. or 89.3 ish, and she had average EC's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed
Leadership and dedication my friends.. Leadership and Dedication!

Go kill that app! xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@unibound888 wrote
I was reading some of the forum topics and a lot of people are talking about "amazing ECs" or "good ECs" which I think is really general. So I would really appreciate it if some of you could give me an idea of what you think is considered "above average ECs" (preferably for Ivey).

Thanks a lot!

Winning the Nobel Peace Prize (for doing absolutely nothing).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire
I was accepted pretty early so I would like to think my EC's were pretty good, considering I know for a fact that my essays were not well written.

Basketball team - 4 years, captain twice
Rugby team - 4 years
DECA - 4 years, executive 2 years (event coordinator, event trainer)
Youth Environmental Network - 2 years, advertising director
Teacher's assistant in grade 10 math - 3 different classes
Peer tutor - 2 individuals
Grade 9 school mentor - 2 years
Assistant basketball coach for community team
Volleyball - 2 years
Heart and Stroke basketball tournament organizer (Hoops for Heart)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sefear Sefear
Wow after seeing all these I feel like mine are crap aha..

Have worked 2 jobs for the last 2 years
Captain of community sports team this last year (+ trained all new members)
^ Member of that team the past 3 years
Captain of a school team for 2 years (before they discontinued the sport)
Helped organize various events in the community for above sport ^
Was this helpful? Yes 0