yconic - What's My Best Option? [Architecture]
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What's My Best Option? [Architecture]

A photo of clhuynh clhuynh
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a grade 12 student striving towards a career in architecture. Right now, I'm having a difficult time deciding where I should go if not my first choice. My first choice right now is Ryerson Architectural Sciences and the decision is still pending. I have been accepted to three other programs and I am looking for some helpful advice on each. If anyone is enrolled in these programs or applying to the same, it'd be great if you could enlighten me!

Either way, I'm going to have to take my master's in architecture. But before I do that, I want a strong foundation!

University of Toronto: Bachelor of Arts, Architectural Studies

PROS:
- Great name recognition
- Extra-curriculars
- Math and science courses

CONS:
- Reapply second year (25% admittance?)
- More theory-based

OCAD U: Environmental Design

PROS:
- Great professors
- Fun electives
- Great resources

CONS:
- No math and science
- No extra-curriculars
- Small campus

Ryerson University: Urban Planning

PROS:
- Extra-curriculars
- Different options - Urban Planning might end up interesting me more!

CONS:
- Different from architecture
- No prep for master's

Any advice?
I did not apply to Carleton's program, and was unfortunately rejected by Waterloo. Ryerson is my ideal choice, but I know it's tough to get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of ghettopineap ghettopineap
where'd you hear of the u of t second year reapply thing ? I don't know much about the program but I am also looking to go there if not admitted to waterloo ryerson or carleton .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A cousin of a friend of mine went to UofT for architecture! She was rejected for second year, so I believe she's doing some other steam within the Arts. It's competitive :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alexandrasiu alexandrasiu
Hey clhuynh, I got an offer for Ryerson Architecture today! So hopefully you will hear from them soon.

Regarding your 3 other options, I would say look at what you want to focus on? I see that U of T provides math and science courses, while I would assume that OCAD will be more design-based. Therefore, it comes down to whether you want to have math and science incorporated into your studies, or focus more on designing. Ryerson's Urban Planning seems like a totally different path, but then again it does not even matter what your undergrad is when you're applying for your MArch. And on the topic of MArch, you do need to apply with a portfolio, so I think you should pick the option that will help you develop one. Of course, I have little knowledge about these three programs and I'm only basing everything I'm saying on the info you provided. Hope it helps though!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alexandrasiu wrote
Hey clhuynh, I got an offer for Ryerson Architecture today! So hopefully you will hear from them soon.

Regarding your 3 other options, I would say look at what you want to focus on? I see that U of T provides math and science courses, while I would assume that OCAD will be more design-based. Therefore, it comes down to whether you want to have math and science incorporated into your studies, or focus more on designing. Ryerson's Urban Planning seems like a totally different path, but then again it does not even matter what your undergrad is when you're applying for your MArch. And on the topic of MArch, you do need to apply with a portfolio, so I think you should pick the option that will help you develop one. Of course, I have little knowledge about these three programs and I'm only basing everything I'm saying on the info you provided. Hope it helps though!

Congratulations on your acceptance!! Are you planning on attending there, or are there other universities you're waiting on?

And I heard to apply to MArch for UofT, you need a portfolio?! And in regards to other MArch programs at other universities such as Waterloo, I believe they prefer if you've studied architecture as your undergraduate?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks! :-) I'm still waiting to hear from McGill and Waterloo for architecture. But Ryerson is definitely a good choice for me!

Right, I think I was subconsciously focusing on UofT's MArch when I wrote that. I'm actually not too sure about the MArchs at other schools. Perhaps with Ryerson's Urban Planning, it'd be easier for you to apply to Ryerson's MArch? I know that for Waterloo, their undergrads do not need to reapply for it and they directly go into getting theirs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alexandrasiu wrote

were you pulled aside or sent an email after the evaluation session?
I'm just curios because I wasn't, and I heard they do that, so I was wondering if my chances were 0% or closer to 2% haha,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@ghettopineap wrote

@alexandrasiu wrote

I'm just curios because I wasn't, and I heard they do that, so I was wondering if my chances were 0% or closer to 2% haha,

+1

I wasn't pulled aside either, and I'm quite frightened I won't make it!
And what was your average, if you don't mind sharing? The competition gets tougher each year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@clhuynh wrote

@ghettopineap wrote

@alexandrasiu wrote

+1

I wasn't pulled aside either, and I'm quite frightened I won't make it!
And what was your average, if you don't mind sharing? The competition gets tougher each year.

my average is 87, Im completely done highschool, I took a year off to better my folio for arch school,
Its good to know someone who didn't get pulled aside got in, but mine still says under review, Last year It stayed that way until July,
now that your in, do you have a flickr or anything so I can see the level of one who was accepted?

I understand if you don't want to It'd just help show me where I stand,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes I was pulled aside with a few others to be told that our portfolios were good, and that we should really consider going if we are given an offer. But they never said when, and so it came as a surprise this morning!

I just heard from someone on another thread that offers are supposed to come out late April so I probably thought wrong when I said you may hear from them soon. Now I'm guessing that they probably only sent out offers to people who got "pulled aside"? Sorry to burst everyone's bubble :-/

I guess the majority of people will be getting acceptances later on, but do not panic too much. There's not enough people who were "pulled aside" to fill up all the spots, so there will definitely be offers for people other than those. (I hope i'm making sense, it's 2am) And also, 9 out of the 10 of us pulled aside applied to waterloo and carleton as well, since the professor asked, and all of us except one raised their hand. So do not worry! Many will opt to go to different places.

And to answer your question, my average for first semester is a high 90.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

also, has anyone else heard of this U of T second year re-apply thing?

their new program says it only admits 200 people the first year in the viewbook, perhaps their revamped program is different?

i mean if they only allowed 25% of the students the second year, that would be 50 kids, and that doesn't seem like a U of T size of a program,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You can look at this site for more info: http://www.schoolfinder.com/schools/programDetail.asp?ProgramID=56038&URL=program

But for quick reference,

"Once you have been successfully admitted to the University, enrolment follows the usual procedures in the Faculty of Arts and Science, where students are required to select their program of study at the end of their first year. Enrolment in the architectural studies major program is limited. Students must have completed four full courses or their equivalent, including ARC 131 (Introduction to Architecture) and ARC 132 (Contemporary Architecture). Minimum marks of 70 per cent in both ARC 131 and ARC 132 are required. The student’s cumulative grade point average (CGPA) will also be considered. Achieving minimum levels does not guarantee admission."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yes but don't you see, that was last updated june 2011, it says "Students interested in pursuing Architectural Studies should apply to the Faculty of Arts and Science at the University of Toronto (not to the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design)"

now they have changed the program, and the undergrad is now through the John H. Daniels faculty not arts and science,
it changed this year, its a different process, this year when applying it was the opposite of last year, and it required a portfolio piece and had 200 spots limited, I assume last year you got in it was as long as you had above a cutoff average,

its all very confusing, but if they do cut students still I don't want to end up with some crappy arts degree in something boring, screw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is it actually that new? If so, I will call tomorrow and post my findings!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Found another useful link: http://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/files/faq_baas_fald_aands_19_march_2012.pdf

So yeah, you'll be enrolled in Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Arts & Sciences, and after taking those two ARC courses, you'll have to apply to the Architectural Studies major. And depending on whether you get a offer or refusal, you will have to choose a different stream if not Architectural Studies. This includes staying in the Bachelor of Arts / Arts & Sciences, or to the landscape design program.

EDIT: Unless that only applies to current students.. I will call!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@clhuynh wrote
Found another useful link: http://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/files/faq_baas_fald_aands_19_march_2012.pdf

So yeah, you'll be enrolled in Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Arts & Sciences, and after taking those two ARC courses, you'll have to apply to the Architectural Studies major. And depending on whether you get a offer or refusal, you will have to choose a different stream if not Architectural Studies. This includes staying in the Bachelor of Arts / Arts & Sciences, or to the landscape design program.

EDIT: Unless that only applies to current students.. I will call!

that only applies to current students I'm 84.3% sure
its like a whole new thing this year, a new admissions process, (you didn't need a folio last year and on OUAC it was a major in humanities, this year it is an architecture program on OUAC, and you needed the folio)

but yea when you call them I would love to find the answer to that, and also perhaps the odds of being accepted to the masters upon completion of this program? could be another key question which is not answered on their unhelpful website

Was this helpful? Yes 0

also, I just though I'd ask a carleton related question here,

does everyones portal say Deferred Late decision required ?

mine says that, I remember last year it said pending at one point, and it still hasn't acknowledged receiving my folio,

just wondering if everyone is in the same boat or weather I need to give them a call

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TroyorT94 TroyorT94
U of T is your best option. Why?

1. You want to be an architect i am assuming, so you will need a undergraduate program that will prepare you for this. There is a reason why the schools still have pre-professional programs.

2. U of T's MArch is gold - just like waterloo's undergradute program.

3. U of T program is no longer a joke. Before it was a little major in humanities that got such a horrible rep that it is causing a lot of the people I know who want to be architects to disregard it. But now it is an actual program within a faculty of architecture! Also if you complete the program you get advance standing in there Masters so you wont be in school for the whole 8 years.

Honestly, go for it!

However, if you do recieve an option from the architecture schools, I would consider them as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TroyorT94 wrote

1. You want to be an architect i am assuming, so you will need a undergraduate program that will prepare you for this. There is a reason why the schools still have pre-professional programs.

3. U of T program is no longer a joke. Before it was a little major in humanities that got such a horrible rep that it is causing a lot of the people I know who want to be architects to disregard it. But now it is an actual program within a faculty of architecture! Also if you complete the program you get advance standing in there Masters so you wont be in school for the whole 8 years.

Honestly, go for it!

However, if you do recieve an option from the architecture schools, I would consider them as well.

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice! Do you know if students have to reapply for second year at U of T?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@clhuynh wrote

@TroyorT94 wrote

Honestly, go for it!

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice! Do you know if students have to reapply for second year at U of T?

The old program you would go into humanities and apply in second year to get the major option and it was tough to get into. But i have not heard about reapplying in second year to continue the program. I do not think you do because you were accepted to the BAAS program in John H. Daniels faulty of Architecture. But give them a call if you are concerned. I might shoot them an email about this actually.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay there seems to be some confusion here because the U of T architecture site sucks.

The program is a BAAS degree (Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies)

It now requires a portfolio and mini-essay to be submitted along side marks.

It is a four year course that preps you for their graduate school.

Upon completion you can get get advanced standing within their program so it only takes you 6.5 - 7 years to get both BA and MArch.

" Second Year Advanced Standing Option in the Master of
Architecture
The Master of Architecture (MArch) offers an advanced
standing option for individuals who possess a four year
non-professional Bachelor degree in architectural studies,
environmental design, or comparable degree focusing
on the built environment. Students must have previously
completed, at minimum, three design studio courses, two
courses in visual communications or representation, two
courses in architecture history and theory (one in 20th
century), and two courses in architectural technology
and ecology. The course of study includes 12.5 FCE over
five sessions (2.5 academic years), including two core
design studios, two option design studios, (4.0 FCE),
thesis preparation and research (0.5 FCE), a design thesis
(1.5 FCE), and five elective courses of (2.5 FCE). The
granting of admission to the advanced standing option
is based on the merits of the student’s overall academic
background and strength of design portfolio as evaluated
by the MArch admissions committee. Each applicant to
the MArch program with a suitable undergraduate degree
will be evaluated for advanced standing during the
admissions process. No separate application is required. "

It is no longer arts and sciences faculty, it is based out of the Architecture faculty.

http://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/programs/ba_architectural_studies

Within the program you can pursue either the theory/critism major which was traditionally at U of T or pursue the architectural design major.

They view booklet says 200 people and the electronic info says 100 people get in...

Right now the site contains links for current students, so it doesnt apply to you except for stuff that mentions the BAAS program.

http://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/files/bachelor_of_arts_flyer_12_october_2011.pdf

Also U of T MArch requires grade 12 calculus and physics, so even though the undergrad doesnt they still are required.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@TroyorT94 wrote

Honestly, go for it!

There's a few things that need to be considered with your reasoning.

1. UofT is not the only program that will prepare you for your Masters. Any school with a pre-professional degree (BAS, BArchSci, etc) will. On the contrary, as I recall, UofT grants a Bachelor of ARTS, Architectural Studies?...

2. UofT's MArch is not "gold"; you make it seem like it is the greatest Master's program in Canada; please do some research on this topic. From my knowledge, the school that produced the best graduates was Waterloo MArch (but that was 15 years ago, not sure about now..). Ryerson MArch just recently got Masters accreditation and is rapidly gaining reputation.

3. Just because the Architectural Studies program is in the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design at UofT, does not mean it still is not a measly Humanities degree. If you were to do further research, you would know that the degree granted at the end of 4 years of undergraduate studies is a Bachelor of ARTS, Architectural Studies (BAAS). Not Bachelor of Architectural Studies (BAS).
Furthermore, "advanced standing" means nothing, since other schools like Ryerson and Waterloo required 2-3 years to complete the MArch, regardless of "advanced standing".

-Best
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1. My point I was trying to make is that a pre-professional undergraduate is better when pursuing architecture. And the OP was worried about not making into ryerson, so U of T would be a good choice after that.

2. Yes, it was arrogant of me to phrase it like that, and yes waterloo does put out some of the best architects, so does McGill, so does Ryerson, so does Dal...etc... However, U of T is still reputable and the name is known outside of Canada.

3. Advanced standing meant that you would be able to complete your masters in a similar time frame to that of a Waterloo or Ryerson student. And I know it is a BAAS, but still there are only a handful of schools in Ontario where you can get a pre-professional degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0