yconic - Whats the difference between these three accountants?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Whats the difference between these three accountants?

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
CA(Chartered accountant) CMA(Certified Management Accountant) and CGA(Certified General Accountant) What are the major differences between them, which one has more jobs available?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of jzliu jzliu
CA can audit (although recent law changed state CMA and CGA can now too) but they still do the most audits... CA and CMA usually make executive decisions/management decisions after analyzing everything and CGA is like (I think) financial statements and tax returns etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu
As for which have more availability... CA is the hardest whilst CGA is the easiest (from getting into its respective specialized University program point of view)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of callie2039 callie2039
I think CGAs have more flexibility as to what they can do (a CGA came to our school that did absolutely nothing related to accounting), but in terms of reputation CA def. beats them by far, with more auditing, management, and analytical tasks. Logically, I would say CAs are the most in demand, just because (well, until recently) only they have the license to sign off on financial documents.

All three are very very good professions though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
Do CA's get respectful salaries? and is it as big as a competitive field to get into as lets say.... iBanking?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@Gucci wrote
Do CA's get respectful salaries? and is it as big as a competitive field to get into as lets say.... iBanking?

1st year CAs: 74k
Avg. 190k

if you want to know the highest... that'd be like 50 million -.- but that CEOs with CA designation
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Gucci wrote

CA Salary Report (2009): http://cica.ems01.com/CA_Profession_Compensation_Survey_2009-En.pdf

CMA Salary Report (2009): http://grossmancga.com/site/download/CMA%20Ontario%202009%20Salary%20Survey.pdf

CGA Salary Report (2008): http://www.cga-ontario.org/assets/file/salarysurvey_student08.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic

@callie2039 wrote
I think CGAs have more flexibility as to what they can do (a CGA came to our school that did absolutely nothing related to accounting), but in terms of reputation CA def. beats them by far, with more auditing, management, and analytical tasks. Logically, I would say CAs are the most in demand, just because (well, until recently) only they have the license to sign off on financial documents.

Anyone can work in a field not related to accounting. o_O Many CAs don't continue working in public practice after all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Arctic wrote

@callie2039 wrote

Anyone can work in a field not related to accounting. o_O Many CAs don't continue working in public practice after all.

+ 1

More CAs work in industry than in public practice. If anything, CGAs have the least flexibility (not big difference). But for all threee you aren't limited to one thing.

Two of the accounting teachers at my school are CAs, and the other one is a CMA. Does that mean they have by far the greatest flexibility? No.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I thought CAs could only work in their province while CMAs can work all over Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0