yconic - When do you apply for University?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

When do you apply for University?

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995
Before you guys start reading... I;m in grade 11 not 12 so yeah

I've seen threads were people are talking about "rounds" what exactly are these rounds, when do they take place and which marks do they look at?

My grade 11 marks are pretty bad:
Grade 11 functions : 77
Grade 11 English : 73
Computer Science: 61
Physics: 64

Grade 11 Mid-terms*

Grade 11 Chemistry: 88
Grade 11 Biology: 64
Accounting: 81
Media Arts: 80

What should I aim for?

Yeah pretty bad and my teacher told me that grade 11 marks count... am I screwed for good?

Also, which "round" looks at your grade 12 first semester marks and two of grade 11 marks (total of 6 U/M courses).... basically when does that "round" occur?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Hi Cat :)

First its important to keep in mind that the application process is very hectic, disorganized, and although there are rounds, every round for each program and university is different. Some first rounds offers may occur right after first semester grd12, others may occur after after 2nd sem mid, others may be between, it all differs.

And just because hes your teacher doesnt mean hes right. How long ago did he go to university? and was it even in ontario? where is he getting his information from?

As someone who applied to uni just last year, and having all of my friends apply to, whether its business, computer science, life science, etc....i can tell you the VAST majority did NOT look at grade 11 marks at ALL. i dont know a SINGLE person who got screwed over cause of their grd11 marks. dude trust me, out of the 4 yrs in highschool, the only real academic performance that makes an impacting difference is grd 12...more specifically grade 12 first semester, work really hard that sem. mainly because grade12 2nd sem final marks come out end of june, by which time all offers have already been given out, so thats why 1st sem is more important.

also if u are struggling with science, consider not taking it next year to increase ur avg? and if ur not good at it, would u really enjoy a future working in that field? anyways hope i helped

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995

@Jack555 wrote
Hi Cat :)

First its important to keep in mind that the application process is very hectic, disorganized, and although there are rounds, every round for each program and university is different. Some first rounds offers may occur right after first semester grd12, others may occur after after 2nd sem mid, others may be between, it all differs.

And just because hes your teacher doesnt mean hes right. How long ago did he go to university? and was it even in ontario? where is he getting his information from?

As someone who applied to uni just last year, and having all of my friends apply to, whether its business, computer science, life science, etc....i can tell you the VAST majority did NOT look at grade 11 marks at ALL. i dont know a SINGLE person who got screwed over cause of their grd11 marks. dude trust me, out of the 4 yrs in highschool, the only real academic performance that makes an impacting difference is grd 12...more specifically grade 12 first semester, work really hard that sem. mainly because grade12 2nd sem final marks come out end of june, by which time all offers have already been given out, so thats why 1st sem is more important.

also if u are struggling with science, consider not taking it next year to increase ur avg? and if ur not good at it, would u really enjoy a future working in that field? anyways hope i helped

Yeah I'm not taking any science and I took all three maths instead ( going for accounting)

My grade 12 courses are:
-Grd. 12 Law
- All three maths (data,calc. adv. functions) All U
- Business Leadership
- International business
- Accounting
- English

Any advice/suggestions/tips for my courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0