yconic - When should I start applying
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

When should I start applying

A photo of nsx nsx
When should I start applying for university and student loans? My grade 11 marks were all crappy so should I apply later when I have decent grade 12 marks?

1000th thread, hell ya.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
It really doesn't matter when you apply as long as you apply before the deadline.

Having crappy grade 11 marks won't really make any difference and you cannot be rejected based on grade 11 marks only. These marks are only used to give early offers to students with high grade 11 averages. If your grade 11 marks weren't great, it just means that you'll probably have to wait until universities are sent your first semester grade 12 marks to hear anything back.

And the OSAP application for next year won't be available until May or June, so you don't have to worry about that for quite a while.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Doesn't matter, if you have bad grade 11 marks it just means you won't get early acceptance. The deadline is January so as long as you apply before then. I submitted my OUAC application in the last week of December because I couldn't decide on the programs but many of my friends were finished by November/early December.

For student loans, you have to wait until late May for OSAP and any bursaries/grants/financial need scholarships the schools give out will have to wait until you receive an acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
You can take your time to start applying, so find out a bit about your programs first. Just make sure you don't apply on the last possible day (which is sometime in mid-January); the OUAC website may crash and suffer from runtime errors from the overload of last-minute applicants. Don't be one of them.

Also, you can even change your programs past the deadline after you submit your application on OUAC. In fact, I did that (in mid-February), and nothing went wrong. So if you're stuck on program choices, just apply anyway. And like the other posters said, when you apply does not matter as long as it's before the deadline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Start researching soon and apply as soon as you get your OUAC code (if you live in Ontario that is).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of willeh willeh
When do schools usually give out OUAC numbers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@willeh wrote
When do schools usually give out OUAC numbers?

Between mid-October and sometime in November.
Was this helpful? Yes 0