yconic - When universities talk about a minimum English mark...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

When universities talk about a minimum English mark...

A photo of MrPresident MrPresident
When universities talk about a minimum English mark, are they referring to grade 11 and 12 or just grade 12?

Kind of screwed up my gr. 11 English and I'm concerned my mark will drop below 80%. I'm thinking of going to McGill and their minimum Eng. mark is 80% but it doesn't say what grade. Any help?

(I want get into Lib. Arts, if that makes anything difference)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Just grade 12, grade 11 marks only matter for early acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

so it doesn't matter if my gr. 11 English mark doesn't meet the minimum mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
Just 12, unless you want early acceptance (which really serves no purpose...).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

okay.. I don't mean to be annoying or anything, but where did you hear this? I want to be sure about this, it is my future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Guidance counsellors...teachers...upper year friends...admissions pages of universities...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks man. I've been stressed out about this for past week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah it's understandable. I'm so screwed that I hafta redo 2 courses, therefore giving me 5 next semester (I had a spare). Fortunately one of them is online (english), the rest 4 are physics, calculus, biology, and chemistry.

Gonna be a blast, but I need to get into Guelph with a 85+ or Western and I want an entrance scholarship (poor family :( ).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
yah dude dont worry these guys are right

as long as ur grade 12 eng mark makes the cut off youre good

there are however some very weird scenarios in which 11 might matter, depending on the program, i.e. Waterloos accounting AFMAA invitation looked at grd 11 eng if grade 12 was not taken...... but for the vast majority of programs it wont really matter

call your uni to make sure, dont trust strangers on the internet lol, but im almost completley sure it wont make a difference for liberal arts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan

@BrunoMars wrote
Yeah it's understandable. I'm so screwed that I hafta redo 2 courses, therefore giving me 5 next semester (I had a spare). Fortunately one of them is online (english), the rest 4 are physics, calculus, biology, and chemistry.

Gonna be a blast, but I need to get into Guelph with a 85+ or Western and I want an entrance scholarship (poor family :( ).

Holy crap you're gonna have quite a workload next semester, I have chemistry, data management, calculus along with a spare and I thought that was bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joshdmcc joshdmcc
It's just grade 12. My english class this semester was hell and I worked my butt off to bring my mark to an 81 (it's not a big deal since the rest of my top 6 will be low-mid 90's).

I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't passed the 80% mark... probably redone the course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ygrillo ygrillo
The highest mark in my English class is 83% our English teacher doesn't believe in giving anything higher even if you work your butt off, so consider your self lucky. The only possible way of achieving 90% or better would be to attend night school. I'm looking at some of these postings and I can't believe the marks some people are getting, the school I attend just doesn't believe in high marks even if you earn them, so if you get anything above 80% you consider your self lucky.
Was this helpful? Yes 0