yconic - Where can i get with 87 avg?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Where can i get with 87 avg?

A photo of axdcfv axdcfv
Hi I'm new here.
just want to know what are my chances for the universities I'm applying to.
-Waterloo electrical engineering
- U of T electrical engineering
- McMaster engineering

pure math 30: 95
Math 31 (calculus): 84
Physics 30 (retake): 97
chemistry 30: 94
english: 66

overall avg: 87.2

yeah, my english is horrible..thats the part it worries me the most.

hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
Retake English? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
You should note that U of T "reserves the right" to use your original mark in a course for admission decisions, so if your original physics mark was brutal, that may hurt you. Here are admission averages: http://www.utoronto.ca/about-uoft/measuring-our-performance/cudo/cudo_2008/Admission.htm (Looks like 87% is perfectly acceptable.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axdcfv axdcfv
I wish I could.. but our school wont allow for retake during 2nd semester. I noticed many ontario schools require a minimum of 70 in english, but has there ever been any exceptions??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Retake it online or at night school.
I'm not too sure about the exceptions.. you should ask your counsellor about that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
I'm not too sure what to do in your situation...
1) You could just do your best and try to improve that english mark.
2) Drop before full disclosure date and retake it in summer school.

Otherwise your marks are fine.
You could probably get into the majority of universities but the English mark is the only one im skeptical about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deathangel deathangel

@axdcfv wrote
I wish I could.. but our school wont allow for retake during 2nd semester. I noticed many ontario schools require a minimum of 70 in english, but has there ever been any exceptions??

Ask the schools if you can take IELTS/TOEFL or the english test they have(I know UofT has it's own english proficiency test)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axdcfv axdcfv
Thanks for the advices guys. I recently found a website in regards to UofTs english requirements. A friend just gave me a website that shows the minimum line for English is actually 60% (http://www.discover.engineering.utoronto.ca/admissions/requirements/canadian.htm) Is this website reliable? Does this mean I can just go ahead and submit my marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
I didn't go on it but just from looking at the URL, looks like a direct link from the U of T website, so it should be reliable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yummy Yummy

@theboydetective wrote
You should note that U of T "reserves the right" to use your original mark in a course for admission decisions, so if your original physics mark was brutal, that may hurt you. Here are admission averages: http://www.utoronto.ca/about-uoft/measuring-our-performance/cudo/cudo_2008/Admission.htm (Looks like 87% is perfectly acceptable.)

Look at the 2010 CUDO Data for UofT(B3 - Secondary School Averages of Full-Time, First Year Students), the Overall Average for Engineering was 89.6%. However, 46.5% of people admitted had less than or equal to an 89% average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
Your English is going to hurt you. Most schools require you have your overall average above a certain mark, but then they also say that English must be above a certain mark as well.

E.g. "You must maintain an average of 75% and recieve a mark of no less than 70% in ENG4U" or whatever English course you happen to be taking.

My advice would be to upgrade your English to at least a low to mid 80.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deathangel deathangel

@axdcfv wrote
Thanks for the advices guys. I recently found a website in regards to UofTs english requirements. A friend just gave me a website that shows the minimum line for English is actually 60% (http://www.discover.engineering.utoronto.ca/admissions/requirements/canadian.htm) Is this website reliable? Does this mean I can just go ahead and submit my marks?

I know quite a number of undergrad engineers in UofT. One of them got into Materials(or Civil, can't remember) engineering two years ago with a 69% in ENG4U.

I think that source is reliable. But still you can't trust it 100% since there might be an increased amount of people applying to your program this year, and a <70% in Eng4U will definitely hurt your chances of getting an offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
honestly i think you are only good for mac engineering, sorry..
you have to bring that english mark up, and the fact that you took phys 12 again hurt your chances hard imo.
best of luck bro!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme

@axdcfv wrote
Hi I'm new here.
just want to know what are my chances for the universities I'm applying to.
-Waterloo electrical engineering
- U of T electrical engineering
- McMaster engineering

pure math 30: 95
Math 31 (calculus): 84
Physics 30 (retake): 97
chemistry 30: 94
english: 66

overall avg: 87.2

yeah, my english is horrible..thats the part it worries me the most.

hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.

Yeah i agree with apark17. I know waterloo requires a min of 75% english.
as for u ofT, you stil have a chance but most people who apply to engineering probably have higher than a 70%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0