yconic - Where can I find immediate volunteer opportunities?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Where can I find immediate volunteer opportunities?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Well, I've got a whole month - August - and I want to find some immediate volunteer work, and rack up my hours. I've tried a few places and they required applications, references, etc. and then make you wait a month just for orientation and such.

I'm in the GTA as well, specifically on the outskirts of Brampton..
Are there any places/ways where I can start immediately?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi
if you want to go to a place that doesn't require applications and references, then try finding private organizations that are hosting summer school. However finding private organizations is up to you to do. For example, I asked this chinese satural school (Mon Sheong Chinese School) if I could volunteer there and I got hired on the spot after a few easy questions.

you can also apply to senior homes. I have a friend who just applied to one and only had 1 reference (suppose to have 2). She's going to go to the orientation next week.
Here's the site for Toronto's senior homes:
http://www.toronto.ca/ltc/volunteer.htm

or you can also try asking privately owned senior homes to see if you can volunteer there.

basically, if you don't want to go through the process of handing in an application and getting references, then ask private organizations. They are more lenient on the process of hiring volunteers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@sevenx7 wrote
Well, I've got a whole month - August - and I want to find some immediate volunteer work, and rack up my hours. I've tried a few places and they required applications, references, etc. and then make you wait a month just for orientation and such.

I'm in the GTA as well, specifically on the outskirts of Brampton..
Are there any places/ways where I can start immediately?

Thanks!

If you live in ontario then volunteer for with your local MP. I've done this before it's simple and MPs always want young people helping them out.

Good luck!!

If you tell me what school district you go to I could help you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Any parks or highways will take immediate help if you're willing to help clean up. You could even look for places such as shelters/ nursing homes/ schools that have gardens or other areas you could clean up or beautify. You could also look at any not for profit groups who always need volunteers. You volunteer work at a thrift store for example, or organize food or clothing donations at a shelter. Just a few ideas.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
The senior's home where I volunteer is so relaxed. I emailed them to ask if I could volunteer and they told me I could come in to pick up a form any time. I filled it out there and did my orientation the next day. The application asked for two references (one was a personal reference - a friend, parent, neighbour, etc.), but they didn't call either of them.

Then again, I know of other senior's homes that require police background checks for volunteers.

If I were you I would just call around and explain your situation, and ask if you can start volunteering immediately. I'm sure you'll find something good if you do enought searching.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yeah guys I applied to a senior home and they after the application process the orientation is at the end of August! --> BTW, what things do they make you do at a senior home?

On the other hand, yes I'll try calling asking for immediate opportunities (even though most don't even bother picking up)... Thanks for the help though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@sevenx7 wrote
Yeah guys I applied to a senior home and they after the application process the orientation is at the end of August! --> BTW, what things do they make you do at a senior home?

On the other hand, yes I'll try calling asking for immediate opportunities (even though most don't even bother picking up)... Thanks for the help though.

I see that your in the peel region...check this website out:

http://www.peelschools.org/student/time-board.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Locals fairs and festivals are good. Food banks have a very minimal application process as well. You can often find websites for festivals online where you can just apply to be a volunteer online. I personally volunteer at a senior home which involved a lengthy process consisting of a 4+ hour orientation, police background check, and some health inspection.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@sevenx7 wrote
BTW, what things do they make you do at a senior home?

As I said, it's pretty chill so you can more or less just come in whenever you want and chat with some old folks. There are also schedueled activities where volunteers are needed. For example, I usually go to their social event, which they have twice a week, to serve tea and coffee while the residents socialize. Also, since I play the harp, I go in every once in a while just to play for whoever happens to be chilling in the lounge area, and they all love it. If you play an instrument well, that's definitely something that most senior's homes are looking for so they don't have to pay for entertainment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0