yconic - Where should I go, and what should I do?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Where should I go, and what should I do?

A photo of storyteller storyteller
[size=7][font=times new roman]I am a grade 10 student and I already know that I want to pursue a career as a fiction writer (a novelist, specifically). So, I was just wondering what courses I should take further on and any creative writing contests that I should enter in. I have entered in one contest that I heard about from my English teacher, last year, and I got my short story published! :colors: Yeah, so just wondering. Thanks![/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Keep your options open, take a variety of courses including math, science and english.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jody93 Jody93
My opinion would be to keep your options open as well, your mind can change but if you are serious about applying for writing then I suggest, York, and UTM from the top of my head! Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ChartheShark304 ChartheShark304
Cool! I was exactly like you. I'm in Gr.12 now.

Not many people get to be novelists...but it's the best job I can ever envision!

First thing I'd recommend is WRITE, WRITE, WRITE. Write novels, plays, short stories, poems, rap, songs, etc. Write everything. Write for practice. For pleasure. For fun. For money, even. Enter contests. (I didn't do a lot of contests and I regret that). Also, get to know other writers - or readers, since I find us writers kinda rare ;)

Oh, and READ READ READ. That too :D

Take classes like English Literature, Creative Writing, History, Civilizations, Psychology, Art, Art History..that sort of stuff. But keep your options open. Not EVERYONE can be a novelist, but there are pretty cool jobs that are related. Consider journalism, technical writing, or writing for the government. Or be a librarian, historian, art curator, etc. For me, I'm a chief editor for my school newspaper. Great way to get yourself involved and out there!

Find a community of people who will be willing to read your work. There's boatloads of potential BetaReaders on the Internet. Join a community like Inkpop or something. If not, get a few good friends who will read your work. Actually, if you want to get in touch with me, feel free! I have a few works of mine that need reading too!

Good luck!

- Char
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smartyygurl smartyygurl
I also am looking into getting into writing, altho more along the lines of journalism...any sugestions on which courses i should take infirst year??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheGirlSmiles TheGirlSmiles

@smartyygurl wrote
I also am looking into getting into writing, altho more along the lines of journalism...any sugestions on which courses i should take infirst year??

Obviously take university level courses in english throughout the rest of high school, then in grade 12, I believe most schools offer courses like writer's craft, literature, native studies, etc. Also, try taking more humanities courses than anything else. Although if you're young, I'd suggest you continue taking your math and science courses in case you change your mind (most other programs won't accept you without math or science credits).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of identicalxlime identicalxlime
Agreed, just incase you change your mind take other courses as well, just in case. Otherwise, I sudjest doing mainly writing courses, ie writer's craft, history, social sciences, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of identicalxlime identicalxlime
Agreed, just incase you change your mind take other courses as well, just in case. Otherwise, I sudjest doing mainly writing courses, ie writer's craft, history, social sciences, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0