yconic - Where should I go? Any ideas?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Where should I go? Any ideas?

A photo of annie1127 annie1127
I've been accepted to UofT life sciences at St. George, as well as UBC sciences. UofT is my first choice, and I've always wanted to go there, so it makes sense to accept my first choice and go. However, I live in Vancouver so going to Toronto would mean I would need to live on res. Living on res is such a big expense, considering that my res fees alone would be able to pay for a whole year's tuition at UBC. My parents, especially my mom, is thinking that I should just stay local and have less financial stress. I realize they do have a point, since money is a big thing, and nowadays with an undergrad degree meaning almost nothing, I should save the money and invest that onto grad school. But then I'm starting to feel that if I don't take my first choice and go to Toronto, I would regret the whole thing altogether. So what are your thoughts on that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of annie1127 annie1127
I'm thinking of going into speech language pathology, so I would need to go to grad school. If I end up at Toronto, then I would probably do human bio and linguistics in undergrad. If I end up going to UBC, then I will most likely be doing biology and their speech sciences program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I stayed local for my undergrad and didn't regret it. I was certainly comfortable financially when I did decide to move away for grad school. Never regretted my choice to stay home, but I know I wouldn't have liked residence or anything like that. It was right for me, may not be right for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serllen Serllen
My situation is actually almost exactly the same as yours. Right now I'm choosing to stay in Vancouver and go to UBC/SFU or move to Toronto and go to U of T for comp sci. After thinking for a few weeks, the following is what I have come up with:
I think going into U of T, a more renown school than UBC, means it's more internationally recognized and so therefore it will be easier to apply for jobs or apply to U.S. grad schools. However, for expenses, if the family thinks going away for school costs too much then and it's hard to get sufficient funds from student aids/scholarships to cover all the expenses or after spending the funds there is still a great amount that needs to be paid off, then staying local is probably better.
Again, I don't have actual statistics on how schools affect the chances of getting jobs and grad school, this is just my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Serllen wrote

Again, I don't have actual statistics on how schools affect the chances of getting jobs and grad school, this is just my opinion.

I think reputation has little effect, if any. Besides, UBC and U of T are both so well known the difference would be very small.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serllen Serllen

@ktel wrote

I think reputation has little effect, if any. Besides, UBC and U of T are both so well known the difference would be very small.

Ya that's true. The one and only reason that I lean towards U of T more than the BC schools is because I want to get more freedom. After all, my parents won't be able to follow me to Toronto. XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCorrosive iCorrosive
Yeah there are a lot of advantages of staying away from home. Not only the freedom, but as well as being independent. Then again, if you haven't already, have a long talk with the family about financial matters. I mean, the last thing you want to do is leave home with your family under more financial pressure than they need. It's only undergrad, it's graduate school that matters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0