yconic - Where the hell am I gonna get with 86% average
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Where the hell am I gonna get with 86% average

A photo of Lue Lue

And that's exactly what I got last semester.

Calculus 84
Data Management 87
Religion 87

I thought the final exams might bring the marks up, but no, I had to screw them and my Data mark went from 90 to 87.

And I just had kind of a serious talk about marks with dad so it's hard on me.

The most pathetic part is that I applied to all the uber-prestigious programs like

Rotman Commerce U of T
Schulich School of Business(I know now there's no way I'm getting in)
Queen's
Western
Laurier
U of T Missisauga campus
all for business programs

:-D...................................

I don't know what I'm gonna do with my life now.

84 in Calculus really annoys me cuz it's not even an 85... I am not a math person and the only reason why I chose commerce/business path is because I enjoyed accounting

And my ECs are not that great either. I was in the concert band and the stage band playing two instruments, Band Workshop, lots of parades(if it ever counts as EC, I highly doubt it), and was working in a retirement home as a volunteer.

It's okay if you scathe me for being a lazy bum with doing so poorly even though I only had 3 classes.

I'm trying to work harder since I've got English 12U this semester.

But I really don't know what the heck I'm gonna do if I get rejected by all the universities. I have no plan after that...

Any advice for if I don't get any admission?? Am I coming back for another year? cuz I know U of T doesn't look at re-taken courses... does that mean I can't even apply later?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
U of T does take repeated courses..? They just frown upon it.
You may be able to get into a few of those schools, just not for early admission.
If you maintain the 86.. you could still get regular admission.. Laurier, U of T Miss.. maybe.
You could always go on OUAC and change the program choice, but I wouldn't recommend doing that now.. bit too late.

I don't think you have too much to worry about, you're bound to get accepted into at LEAST one of the programs..
But if you're so unsure.. why don't you apply for some colleges? Always a good back up plan for everyone.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
Calm yourself, bro.

You're not going to get rejected from everywhere with an 86%.

Don't stress about it :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@steele wrote
Calm yourself, bro.

+1

an 86% is not that bad! And you still have time to improve :) Worry about whether you want to come back for another year later, who knows, you may be accepted to most of the programs. Though I would drop Schulich and find apply to a different Uni. I don't think it's too late to change your programs and you really have nothing to lose on the Schulich option.

Btw, what happened to Advanced Functions? Will that mark bring your average up?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
You're only done 3 courses... You have PLENTY of time to do well in your other 3 and get a good average. You only need a high 80s to get a fair chance in almost all the programs you applied to (unfortunately, that probably wont do it for Queens and Schulich). Just stay focused until midterms (if you're semestered) and aim to get perfect on any and all assignments and tests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lue Lue

@Impasse wrote

@steele wrote
Calm yourself, bro.

+1

an 86% is not that bad! And you still have time to improve :) Worry about whether you want to come back for another year later, who knows, you may be accepted to most of the programs. Though I would drop Schulich and find apply to a different Uni. I don't think it's too late to change your programs and you really have nothing to lose on the Schulich option.

No, my mark for Adv. Func was 85, I took it last year lol and I didn't even put that much effort because I was going to get into film editing, and then my path changed.. so, looks like I just gotta get all 90s this semester

I guess there can be problems when you make drastic changes for your career path

Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Oh gosh, I know what you mean.
My math mark is even worse than that haha.
But I don't need it, thank goodness.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jordan23 Jordan23

@cyynthiia wrote
U of T does take repeated courses..? They just frown upon it.You may be able to get into a few of those schools, just not for early admission.
If you maintain the 86.. you could still get regular admission.. Laurier, U of T Miss.. maybe.
You could always go on OUAC and change the program choice, but I wouldn't recommend doing that now.. bit too late.

I don't think you have too much to worry about, you're bound to get accepted into at LEAST one of the programs..
But if you're so unsure.. why don't you apply for some colleges? Always a good back up plan for everyone.

No, they don't take repeated courses for the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ahhh, I guess not for business then.
Pretty sure they do for other programs..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
86% would be considered an exellent average for most programs in uni. People kill themselves with studying and still have difficulties getting there. My advice to you would be to keep trying to raise the marks until mid term. no point in giving up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
If you don't enjoy math I wouldn't go into a business program, even if you enjoy accounting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I know what you mean about math. I'm currently retaking Math 12, as I got 87 the first time around.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
I'd be crying.. of happiness.. if I had that mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@cyynthiia wrote
U of T does take repeated courses..? They just frown upon it.
You may be able to get into a few of those schools, just not for early admission.

Yes, with an 86 you have a chance to be accepted to Laurier (cutoff most likely 86-87%) or receive an alternate offer to their Honours Economics program, which is fully-accredited by the ICAO and you can always transfer into the BBA program. But if you want to go into accounting it can get you there.

You have a slight chance of getting into Rotman, but if your ECs aren't that good it will be tough. Have a well written SAF.

And UTM you have a good shot at.

Oh, and Western- most likely you are talking about BMOS + Ivey HBA. Obviously your chances for Ivey with an 86 average and little ECs is almost zero, but you should get into BMOS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Impasse wrote

@steele wrote
Calm yourself, bro.

+1

Yes, you could always drop Schulich, Queen's and Ivey and add schools like McMaster, Brock, and maybe Carleton, UOttawa or Ryerson.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@cyynthiia wrote
^
I'd be crying.. of happiness.. if I had that mark.

I totally know what you mean. I had 57% as a final grade in Math 10. I hated it sooo much.

This one girl at my school, who has an average somewhere around 98% busted her ass for a 90% in Math12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
LOLLL dang that's quite an improvement!
I did really good in Math 11.. like 96...
Then comes Math 12.. different story...
I give up on math and calculus.
:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sillyrabbit sillyrabbit
Bro Your average is not that bad.....and trust me with that average....even if you don't get into those programs...the universities will most likely give you alternate offers....so you will not be going nowhere....just keeping working hehehe
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of miniluv68 miniluv68
I've got about an 86 average and I was accepted into the U of Calgary and waitlisted at Simon Fraser. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
Well, it also depends on your final grade 11 marks as well.. if you did very well (87+) I suppose you'd have a pretty good chance of getting early acceptance... or acceptance before April.
Was this helpful? Yes 0