yconic - Where to get the money?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Where to get the money?

A photo of laznic laznic
As this is my first post here, I'll try to make it as long as possible.

I'm in a tricky situation at the moment. I applied and got accepted to Trent University for one semester (exchange student, I'm from Finland). Now I would have to pay the tuition and residence fees, but I don't really have money for them.

My parents don't have any money either, my school doesn't give out Freemover -financial aid like other schools does and I don't have any savings or a job. I have applied for a job, but that doesn't cover the costs by itself. Most of the scholarship deadlines have already passed and the ones that are still open have requirements I don't meet (need to have Master's while I'm currently studying for Bachelor's, etc.). Or then they are just for Sept 2012 or something like that. I'm going to Trent in Jan 2012, no matter what.

What makes this more interesting is that I should have the fees paid by Dec 16, and I received the letter of acceptance a bit later than I was supposed to (the date on the letter says Oct 25, received the actual letter Nov 15). That means that I have couple weeks, if not that, to get all the money IF I'm not able to discuss with Trent to let me pay the fees in separate parts.

So here I am, asking you what do you think I should do? Where could I get money and fast?.

I do know student loan is one thing and I'm probably going for that. It's just that it isn't enough to cover the whole thing either. And I personally don't like taking loans, so taking it is a bit of a "last straw" for me.

I'm still really confident going to study in Trent, it's just this situation that wants to slow me down.

Therefore, dear fellow students, give me hand and tell me where to look for the money!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
There's no easy way to get money. Especially fast. As I see it, you have two choices- find a source of guaranteed income or defer your offer/ don't go.

If you can't afford to pay for school this year, don't go. Its as simple as that. Life isn't a race, so taking a year off to sort out your finances is probably a good idea. You'll have a lot on your plate in a new country if you're in school, in debt, and unprepared.

Your other option is to work continuously until you leave. Are you willing to work 70 hours a week? You might stand a chance. Find anything from snow removal to janitorial work. It could provide you enough for the semester, but unlikely.

In my opinion, if you can't be sure you'll be able to pay, don't go. You could end up stuck in Canada, broke, and having wasted a lot of effort and money just getting here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@threepointonefour wrote
There's no easy way to get money. Especially fast. As I see it, you have two choices- find a source of guaranteed income or defer your offer/ don't go.
[. . .]
In my opinion, if you can't be sure you'll be able to pay, don't go. You could end up stuck in Canada, broke, and having wasted a lot of effort and money just getting here.

Is this your last year at university? I was wondering, because if it is not, why not wait, save up and apply for next year? I know it would suck having to wait, but just like what threepointonefour said, you might end up in Canada being broke.

From what I see, you would want to enjoy your time in Canada. What I mean is that you would want to travel to Toronto, or even Ottawa and Montreal - go to movies, eat outside once in a while, shop etc. So if you only have money for food/accomodation +tuition, your trip to Canada would really suck, because you would not be able to have fun.

If you are very set on for coming to Canada in Jan. 2012, then all I can say is work very hard. Try to find governmental loans, study abroad loans and bursaries - search as much as you can because there are different loans for different things. You can search Trent University's webstie and check the international student section to see if they offer any bursaries for int'l students who are studying for a semester there. Don't give up! Best of luck to you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0