yconic - Where to go for University for Sciences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Where to go for University for Sciences

A photo of babayetu babayetu
Hi,
So I think I have the marks to get into any general science program in Canada (low 90's). The question is where should I go to...

First thing that came to my mind was UBC, UofT, and Mcgill university and their science programs. In Canada, they are the most famous universities and obviously they will have a good science program.

However, what I'm mainly interested is how easy it is to get good grades because i am looking into entering a grad school and maybe even a med school. I heard UT is infamous for grade deflation, and UBC is hard to get marks because of its high Asian population.

So.... which one would you recommend out of the three or are there other universities in Ontario that have a reputable science program.

Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of kevinlated kevinlated
No school is really "easy"
you must understand that each course has it's own professor whom have their own teaching and testing style.

I am not sure what you are really going to do with "reputable" when trying to apply to medical school.
Anyways visit the campus talk to upper year students in the programs you are interested in and pick the one you think you will enjoy the most.

@babayetu wrote
Hi,
So I think I have the marks to get into any general science program in Canada (low 90's). The question is where should I go to...

First thing that came to my mind was UBC, UofT, and Mcgill university and their science programs. In Canada, they are the most famous universities and obviously they will have a good science program.

However, what I'm mainly interested is how easy it is to get good grades because i am looking into entering a grad school and maybe even a med school. I heard UT is infamous for grade deflation, and UBC is hard to get marks because of its high Asian population.

So.... which one would you recommend out of the three or are there other universities in Ontario that have a reputable science program.

Thanks in advance!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prabeast prabeast
Hey, many schools across Canada are developing really good reputations for Science programs.

The short list that comes into my mind include: UofA, UofC, Toronto, Waterloo, McGill, McMaster, UBC, Carleton, Western, Dalhousie, York, and Queen's.

Each school has different programs that will likely suit different needs, take a look at each of the programs to find one that's best for you.

Simply put, in university, you will have to work hard for marks -- but if you're considering grad school, you'll likely have to write a thesis, so try to find a program that fits best with your style of learning. Most grad schools will put a lot of weight on your thesis and 4th year of studies -- moreso than the general first year sciences.

If you do have 90+ marks in high school, choose whichever program you think is best, you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting good grades.

Some underrated programs I think that are really worth a look in Ontario are: Science and Aviation at Waterloo, Space Science/Engineering at York, and Forensic Sciences at UOIT. Many students are surprised to find out that it's not really the reputation of the school, but the actual reputation of the program that matters -- and those 3 programs are developing great reputations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0