yconic - Where Will You Be? After?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Where Will You Be? After?

A photo of StillHopes StillHopes
Hey guys. I see that many of you are applying, have applied or have even been accepted into many different schools by now. But here's my question for you guys out there on studentawards, where will you be 4 years from now? Graduated from whatever program you have chosen, at a school that you have come to love (hopefully), now what? What are your plans? Here's just a general outline I hope you can follow:

1. What program/school?

2. What are you planning to be?

3. Further studies? e.g. MBA

4. Future salary range you are hoping to achieve?

5. Any other information you want to list about your future plans/goals.

Let me know your plans.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
37 replies

A photo of Joshki Joshki
1. UBC/U of T/ McGill... lets see which one accept me

2. Planning to be a trader or in the area of investment banking

3. MBA from Harvard, getting my CA, CIA and CFA designations, then Phd in Economics..havent decided which school tho (maybe oxford or cambridge)

4. $150,000+
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
1. McGill/Ivey atm
2. Something finance related. PE/HF/S&T/IB/quant idunnolulz.
3. If it seems right at the time, probably MBA. If I decide to major in math/engineering for whatever reason, I'd want to do a Master's in it also.
4. A lot
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DeanVermillion DeanVermillion

@Joshki wrote

3. MBA from Harvard, getting my CA, CIA and CFA designations, then Phd in Economics..havent decided which school tho (maybe oxford or cambridge)

4. $150,000+

geez, we think alike!
but why no Schulich, Ivey or Queen's? You certainly would have some solid reasons, lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@DeanVermillion wrote

@Joshki wrote

4. $150,000+

geez, we think alike!
but why no Schulich, Ivey or Queen's? You certainly would have some solid reasons, lol

As u know, i wanna work overseas(in europe or asia pacific), so i choose schools with great int'l reputation which are UBC, McGill and UofT.. Queen's decent but not that famous; Ivey and Schulich are way over-rated..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii
1. Schulich

2. Finance or Accounting, still have time to decide. If I decide to head into accounting, I'll take the CA route and then decide what to do from there (haven't thought it through well enough at this point, maybe I'll go into Finance or consulting after, I don't know).

If I decide to head into Finance, Investment Banking for a few years, then try to get into a Hedge Fund or into consulting.

3. MBA at one point, not sure where I'd plan on getting it yet. CA if I take the accounting route, CFA at one point if I decide to take the finance route.

4. As much as possible.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@Joshki wrote

4. $150,000+

I don't mean to rip you apart or anything, but...

1. An MBA from Harvard? It's good to be optimistic and all...

2. What's the point in getting your CIA?

3. A Phd in Econ? You just going to skip the Masters crap? And WTF do you need a Phd in Econ if you're not going to be teaching/researching or working with the government?

4. A Phd from Oxford and Cambridge? See number 1.

5. What do all of these designations and degrees have to do with sales and trading or investment banking?

6. Please tell me you actually know what investment banking is.

@Joshki wrote
As u know, i wanna work overseas(in europe or asia pacific), so i choose schools with great int'l reputation which are UBC, McGill and UofT.. Queen's decent but not that famous; Ivey and Schulich are way over-rated..

Queen's has one of the best exchange programs, and Ivey and Schulich also have good exchange programs. Ivey and Queen's (and to a lesser extent Schulich) give you the opportunity to work at top employers. It is far more likely for you to use the experience gained here and the networks you have developed to get a job overseas than it is for you to stick the name of a somewhat-well-known educational institution on your resume and get the job.

@vii wrote

If I decide to head into Finance, Investment Banking for a few years, then try to get into a Hedge Fund or into consulting.

I give a 99% chance that you don't know what investment banking is, or what hedge funds do. They just sound cool.

I don't mean to pick on you guys, but come on, do some research and try not to make it seem like you'll just walk in and decide to become an investment banker without knowing a flying fudgee-oh about finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Caroshin Caroshin
1. Schulich BBA, and if not Queens Commerce.

2. Financial Analyst (may change depending on 3.)

3. Masters of Finance or MBA or Law (high dependent on which I get into)

4. 100k plus?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote

@vii wrote

I give a 99% chance that you don't know what investment banking is, or what hedge funds do. They just sound cool.

I don't mean to pick on you guys, but come on, do some research and try not to make it seem like you'll just walk in and decide to become an investment banker without knowing a flying fudgee-oh about finance.

Well he did know enough that investment banking and hedge funds are under finance. :P
But no one ever moves from i-banking into consulting. At least not that I've heard/read about. Consulting isn't even finance lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@caveman wrote

3. A Phd in Econ? You just going to skip the Masters crap? And WTF do you need a Phd in Econ if you're not going to be teaching/researching or working with the government?

5. What do all of these designations and degrees have to do with sales and trading or investment banking?

1. rly? you'd be suprised at what im capable of if you knew me personally

2. CIA is one of the easiest designations you can get, and in fact you can get if soon after the undergrad. nice designation to add on my resume.

3. MBA-Masters of Business Adminstration for god sake. please learn how to read before commenting on ppl's posts. I just want the phd so i can have this prefix added to my name, gotta problems with that?

4. See 1

5. Again, they show what your capable of and the more skills you have, the more money you'll make.

6. I dont know what investment banking is? My mum works in one of the biggest investment banking firms and i have relatives working in that field in Europe as well and they;ve been telling me these things and trying to convince me that this is the right path for me when i was still in elementary school. And i just completed a training at Credit Suisse in Zurich last year. So I dont know what investment banking is? that's just plain bs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki wrote

@caveman wrote

2. CIA is one of the easiest designations you can get, and in fact you can get if soon after the undergrad. nice designation to add on my resume.

3. MBA-Masters of Business Adminstration for god sake. please learn how to read before commenting on ppl's posts. I just want the phd so i can have this prefix added to my name, gotta problems with that?

4. See 1

5. Again, they show what your capable of and the more skills you have, the more money you'll make.

6. I dont know what investment banking is? My mum works in one of the biggest investment banking firms and i have relatives working in that field in Europe as well and they;ve been telling me these things and trying to convince me that this is the right path for me when i was still in elementary school. And i just completed a training at Credit Suisse in Zurich last year. So I dont know what investment banking is? that's just plain bs

man u seem alright, like i said. We think alike lol:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki wrote

@caveman wrote

I'd argue this...finance is all about making money. It doesn't matter how many skills or how many designations you have, if you don't bring in the cash why would anyone give you a second look even if you did graduate from Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge/wherever? Sure, it may help you get hired, but I seriously doubt it's going to help you get paid more. Over-qualification does exist, lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki wrote

4. See 1

1. You're still in high school. Again, it's great to be optimistic, but you're talking about one of the most competitive programs in the world.

2. If you just go through the institute, they require 24 months of internal auditing experience plus some other stuff. That's a pretty specific work experience requirement, and hardly "right after the undergrad". If you get your CA designation first the process is no faster, and you have to get the CA designation, which tacks on a few more years. Now, where are you going to get this work experience if you plan to work in S&T or IB? Also, this designation has almost nothing to do with these areas. It's cool to have designations and skills and stuff, but you may as well go get your skydiving instructor's certification. It'd be a lot more fun, and about as useful.

3. So now you plan to get your MBA straight out of undergrad? At Harvard? If that fulfills the requirements for your Phd at Oxford, you're still wasting 2 years of your life getting it. Seriously, why get your Phd in Econ if you're not working with the government or becoming a professor? No one will care that you have a Phd beside your name.

4. See 1.

5. You're going to waste so much time and money on these things and they are going to make you only marginally more attractive to employers. I would guess that the lost time working at a bank or wherever would hurt you far more.

6. I said "please tell me you know what investment banking is". There's a difference. To me it seems like you're just pulling random terms together and don't really understand what you're talking about. I was unaware of point 6. So perhaps I am wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii
I do know what Investment Banking is, and I know what Hedge Funds are. I've had opportunities to research what they do and speak to those working in consulting, accounting, and finance industries throughout my first year. I don't know everything, but I know enough to get started.

Nothing is set in stone, but currently the IB -> Hedge Fund route is what I have the most interest in.

I do understand where you're coming from though. Most people just say they want to do Investment Banking, Sales & Trading, Management Consulting or become a Chartered Accountant because they sound nice and offer promises of great riches.

Where do you see yourself in 4 years, caveman?

Oh and yes, Investment Banking -> Consulting is a very rare route to take and I only know one person who's done it. I haven't had the chance to ask them about it yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zhuzhuxiao zhuzhuxiao
Queen's has one of the best exchange programs, and Ivey and Schulich also have good exchange programs. Ivey and Queen's (and to a lesser extent Schulich) give you the opportunity to work at top employers. It is far more likely for you to use the experience gained here and the networks you have developed to get a job overseas than it is for you to stick the name of a somewhat-well-known educational institution on your resume and get the job.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@viii wrote
I do know what Investment Banking is, and I know what Hedge Funds are. I've had opportunities to research what they do and speak to those working in consulting, accounting, and finance industries throughout my first year. I don't know everything, but I know enough to get started.

Nothing is set in stone, but currently the IB -> Hedge Fund route is what I have the most interest in.

I do understand where you're coming from though. Most people just say they want to do Investment Banking, Sales & Trading, Management Consulting or become a Chartered Accountant because they sound nice and offer promises of great riches.

Oh and yes, Investment Banking -> Consulting is a very rare route to take and I only know one person who's done it. I haven't had the chance to ask them about it yet.

Ah, I see you are actually in university, and not just wanting to be there. This makes the likelihood of you having a decent idea of what you're talking about much higher.

I just find it super annoying (as do many others) how all the high school kids (and some university kids) talk about becoming an investment banker or working in a hedge fund as if they have a clue what they are and as if their career is all mapped out. It's a pretty narrow focus (not a bad thing always) and it's a super competitive field. I'd say that if you don't already know what investment banking is (and I mean actually know) by the time you're going into university, the chances of you becoming an investment banker are about the same as me becoming the greatest tennis player in the world, give or take a couple billionths of a percent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii

@caveman wrote

@viii wrote

Ah, I see you are actually in university, and not just wanting to be there. This makes the likelihood of you having a decent idea of what you're talking about much higher.

I just find it super annoying (as do many others) how all the high school kids (and some university kids) talk about becoming an investment banker or working in a hedge fund as if they have a clue what they are and as if their career is all mapped out. It's a pretty narrow focus (not a bad thing always) and it's a super competitive field. I'd say that if you don't already know what investment banking is (and I mean actually know) by the time you're going into university, the chances of you becoming an investment banker are about the same as me becoming the greatest tennis player in the world, give or take a couple billionths of a percent.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rdawg204 rdawg204

@viii wrote

@caveman wrote

@viii wrote

+1

+2 , studentawards business forums = high school kids who know they will be investment bankers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I read an article that Canadian kids are delusional on their salary expectations - guess it was true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of redherring redherring
1. Any of the ones I applied to. I'm still unsure of where to go.

2. I think I might want to go into finance. I did want to go into accounting though, so I'm really not sure yet. I have some time to figure it out. Since it seems so common, I'll just say straight out that I don't want to be an investment banker.

3. Don't know. Probably some extra designations, don't know if they count.

4. I unno. Better be 100k+ once I get settled in with a few years of experience. I mean I'll be dropping some good cash on university for the coming years (unless I can get some more scholarships) so I'd like for it to be worthwhile. If I wanted to make 75-125k area, I would have become an electrician. I'm not even sure how much I realistically expect to get.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of redherring redherring

@immaculatedx wrote
I read an article that Canadian kids are delusional on their salary expectations - guess it was true.

How much do you expect to make? I mean one person said 150k+, another agreed with his whole post, and the other two said "as much as possible/alot."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@immaculatedx wrote

Are you saying I'm not going to make 1.5 mil a year after getting my degree in fine arts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ah, so that makes me a Canadian kid, I see I see
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ndrwzheng ndrwzheng

@Joshki wrote

@caveman wrote

4. See 1

In regards to your #1, note that hubris is what causes the downfall of many. You may be good (or even the best) at your school, but there will always be someone better than you. So don't assume that you'll just magically get into Harvard or Oxford.

Additionally, I agree with caveman... what's the point of you attaining all these degrees? I don't know about you, but my goal in life isn't to make the most amount of money... it's to be happy. If you're studying tirelessly until like 30 (22 out of bachelors, 2 years work experience, 2 year MBA, a couple more years for those CFA and CIA designations, and then another 2 for your Phd) just so that you'll be ready for work, then you'll probably be surprised to note that you won't be making $150,000 because you'll be overqualified. And I'm not even including the fact how your life will be miserable up until then.

Sure you can be living in a 10,000 sq. ft mansion rather than a 2,500 one, or even driving a Bentley compared to a Toyota, but that's not going to make you any happier in the long run. Of course it will give you temporary satisfaction, but it sure won't last.

It's good to keep your head high and have ambitions, but make sure they're realistic and that you do what you really LOVE to do, not what society or your family thinks you should (eg. mom and dad telling you that you gotta make more money than them in the future).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ joshki

I was re-reading your post just now, and I'm pretty sure you mean the CIIA designation, and not the CIA designation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0