yconic - Which business course is most important?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which business course is most important?

A photo of NanaChengles NanaChengles
Hi courses selection for my grade 12 is due this week. Could I get some help?? Which Business court is LEAST important because I'm still want to go into business. I'm going to take a spare or I need to replace one of my courses with biology grade 12 or Calc and vectors. Im thinking replacing one of my business courses to retrieve a 1+ Uni courses

Business courses Im taking:
Business Leadership
Business INternational
Aaccounting

My courses Im taking in grade 12:

English 12U
Writer's Craft 12U
Advance Functions 12U
Accounting 12M
Business Leadership 12M
Business International 12M
Exercise Science U
*Biology Grade 11U

Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@NanaChengles wrote
Hi courses selection for my grade 12 is due this week. Could I get some help?? Which Business court is LEAST important because I'm still want to go into business. I'm going to take a spare or I need to replace one of my courses with biology grade 12 or Calc and vectors. Im thinking replacing one of my business courses to retrieve a 1+ Uni courses

Business Leadership
Business INternational
Aaccounting

It all depends on what branch of business your looking into. If you wanna go into accounting, then i'd say defs take accounting and the least importance one would be business leadership. If you wanna get a BBA, then dont take accounting since its to specific. Regardless of what you wanna do, do take international business! its useful and pretty easy as well.

I took international business and taking accounting only because business leadership is not offered at my school, i wish i could've taking all three ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@NanaChengles wrote

Business Leadership
Business INternational
Aaccounting

English 12U
Writer's Craft 12U
Advance Functions 12U
Accounting 12M
Business Leadership 12M
Exercise Science U
*Biology Grade 11U

Take calculus for sure, you'll need it in business school. Take accounting and economics if they're offered. In first year, you'll have to take intro to accounting and principles of economics at every school you go to.

International business and business leadership is not really helpful at all. If you can take IB courses at your school, take Business HL. Best course you can take in high school to prep you for business school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23
[quote=CMA2014]
@NanaChengles wrote

Business Leadership
Business INternational
Aaccounting

English 12U
Writer's Craft 12U
Advance Functions 12U
Accounting 12M
Business Leadership 12M
Exercise Science U
*Biology Grade 11U

If you are going into Business, DO NOT take Exercise Science and Biology. These two courses are so content-heavy and you will have to dedicate A LOT of time to do well in them. Even if you can get a 90 in these, you'll have to be spending like 5-8 hours per week keeping up with the material, versus business leadership or international business where you can put in way less time and have more time for your other courses.

And I know lots of people who are going into business, and are taking these electives and can only get 70s in them. You don't want your electives to drop your average, you want them to raise your average. If you get a 70 in Biology and someone gets a 94 in Business Leadership or International Business, that will make their average 4% higher! That's how important it is to pick electives you KNOW you can get easy 90s in.

Calculus, Advanced Functions, English, and Accounting are great courses for Business. I recommend taking Financial Securities or Economics if your school offers them because these 3 courses are the big business courses and you'll do very well in first year and have an advantage. I also recommend Business Leadership and International Business - average boosters and they may help you.

But don't take Exercise Science and Biology, it is honestly a waste of time, and you might regret it but it will be too late. Good luck!

But if you are still going to drop one business course, I would drop Business Leadership or International Business (which ever one is harder).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NanaChengles NanaChengles
[quote=brady23]
@CMA2014 wrote

@NanaChengles wrote

Business Leadership
Business INternational
Aaccounting

English 12U
Writer's Craft 12U
Advance Functions 12U
Accounting 12M
Business Leadership 12M
Exercise Science U
*Biology Grade 11U

If you are going into Business, DO NOT take Exercise Science and Biology. These two courses are so content-heavy and you will have to dedicate A LOT of time to do well in them. Even if you can get a 90 in these, you'll have to be spending like 5-8 hours per week keeping up with the material, versus business leadership or international business where you can put in way less time and have more time for your other courses.

And I know lots of people who are going into business, and are taking these electives and can only get 70s in them. You don't want your electives to drop your average, you want them to raise your average. If you get a 70 in Biology and someone gets a 94 in Business Leadership or International Business, that will make their average 4% higher! That's how important it is to pick electives you KNOW you can get easy 90s in.

Calculus, Advanced Functions, English, and Accounting are great courses for Business. I recommend taking Financial Securities or Economics if your school offers them because these 3 courses are the big business courses and you'll do very well in first year and have an advantage. I also recommend Business Leadership and International Business - average boosters and they may help you.

But don't take Exercise Science and Biology, it is honestly a waste of time, and you might regret it but it will be too late. Good luck!

But if you are still going to drop one business course, I would drop Business Leadership or International Business (which ever one is harder).

Oh! One thing, My school is semestered.
I would switch biology and Excercise Science for Calc and a maybe law or a spare (study period). I was also tipped about Biology and Excercise Science and the work load but it is grade 11 bio and I thought that this could be my back up if business does not go well with me. I might end up taking a spare, to bump up my marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
Business leadership and international business aren't very useful. They're mostly memorizing buzzwords.

Accounting and economics are both useful courses that you will be taking in university, and contrary to what Joshki said accounting (and econ) is worth taking even if you're not pursuing it directly.

If you're worried about marks business courses/spares are good ways to boost them. But if you want to challenge yourself/learn something/take something you're interested in, you should be able to handle them fine. They're just high school courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of torontoeconomist torontoeconomist
I would unequivocally say maths.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite
Well I'm just gonna say that you're not gonna get into a lot of universities by taking one math.
Biology and exercise science ain't gonna help either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SophiaG SophiaG

take accounting, international business, advanced functions, calculus, english, economics if your school offers it. there's no point in taking 3 business courses since you can only use 2 M-level courses for your top 6. if you took physics in grade 11, you could take that as your 4th U-level course. it helps with calculus and vectors.
i wouldn't take exercise science, bio, or writer's craft. i hear writer's craft is a lotttt of work, so unless you really LOVE writing journal entries, poems, articles and short stories...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
You should also consider data management. Comes in handy for stats courses in business programs (for example, you need to take stats first and second year in Schulich).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
Take accounting, its going to help you prepare for uni. From what i've heard grade.12 acc is exactly same as first year in uni...just more assignments and workload increasez.
Was this helpful? Yes 0