yconic - Which Canadian business program should I go to if I plan to transfer to university in the states?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which Canadian business program should I go to if I plan to transfer to university in the states?

A photo of DeanVermillion DeanVermillion
Is this even possible, to transfer to a university in the States in second or third year? If so, what do I need to be qualified?

And which Canadian business program should I go to if I am planning to transfer to a university in the states to study business/finance/commerce?

just wondering lol ;p
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Tyop Tyop
In my opinion, there isn't necessarily a point in transferring to a university in the states while completing your undergraduate degree, unless the school happens to be really prestigious. The education you'll receive from top programs in Canada are similar to what you'll receive from the US, the only difference is that certain companies recruit heavily from schools such as Wharton, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Chicago, Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth, etc.

If you happen to plan to transfer to one of the above mentioned schools or Tier 1 schools, the admission rates are miniscule. Generally, the people who are admitted are the 'cream of the crop' and currently attending Tier 1 or Tier 2 schools such as Duke, Berkeley, UCLA, NYU, etc. These students probably have 4.0 GPAs and amazing extra-curricular involvement.

In the long run, as long as you network well and work hard during your undergraduate studies, you shouldn't be placed at an disadvantage. A top student at Ivey, Queen's, McGill, Schulich, and UBC still have strong chances in attaining a quality job.

*The school's I listed are just off the top of my head, as I may have missed certain schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
tyop -good luck this week on US admissions !!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tyop Tyop

@Windsongs4 wrote

Thanks! But, I'm basically rejected from Princeton already as admissions after receiving a deferral is really low. Hopefully I get into Penn!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@Tyop wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

Thanks! But, I'm basically rejected from Princeton already as admissions after receiving a deferral is really low. Hopefully I get into Penn!

it's not a rejection though, so there's still hope! plus my friend already got a rejection letter from northwestern sunday i believe, so if they havent sent u a rejection letter =the are still considering you!

As for penn - "oh, just penn" my butt :P wharton's amazing- i'll keep my fingers crossed for you :) *crossing fingers*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DeanVermillion DeanVermillion

@Tyop wrote
In my opinion, there isn't necessarily a point in transferring to a university in the states while completing your undergraduate degree, unless the school happens to be really prestigious. The education you'll receive from top programs in Canada are similar to what you'll receive from the US, the only difference is that certain companies recruit heavily from schools such as Wharton, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Chicago, Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth, etc.

If you happen to plan to transfer to one of the above mentioned schools or Tier 1 schools, the admission rates are miniscule. Generally, the people who are admitted are the 'cream of the crop' and currently attending Tier 1 or Tier 2 schools such as Duke, Berkeley, UCLA, NYU, etc. These students probably have 4.0 GPAs and amazing extra-curricular involvement.

In the long run, as long as you network well and work hard during your undergraduate studies, you shouldn't be placed at an disadvantage. A top student at Ivey, Queen's, McGill, Schulich, and UBC still have strong chances in attaining a quality job.

*The school's I listed are just off the top of my head, as I may have missed certain schools.

Thanks for the input, Tyop. One of the things I regret is not taking the SAT, it just occured to me this year that I am not in a good financial position applying those schools in the States. So I didn't even take the SAT. But UPenn is actually one of my top choices for business, lol. I guess I will take the SAT later this year and at least try applying from Canada next year. Good luck on your UPenn application man!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey312 ivey312
To be honest, UT or Mcgill is probably your best bet if you want to transfer. However, the school isn't as big as a factor as your essay. I assume your marks and ECs are very competitive if you are seriously considering transferring which is a good start. It really comes down to your essay and recommendations at the end of the day. However, depending on what field you want to go into, it may not matter. I go to Ivey and I got a lot of the same interviews that my friends at Ivy League schools got and all the large firms come on campus to recruit for US offices. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rolledoats rolledoats
Why would you want to do this? Your odds of a transfer at top US schools are not good regardless of where you go. If you have a realistic chance somewhere...it probably isn't much better.

Not saying you shouldn't try...but picking your school should be about a) academic quality and b) quality of life. Don't go somewhere counting on a transfer. You won't commit yourself fully to the school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
TBH, American schools have the prestige but you must see if it's financially worth it and if you think you can't get the same in canada. Personally, I have decided to stay in Canada for Undergrad and attend american school for graduate, despite getting into an Ivy this week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0