yconic - Which course is easier to get a 95% + above in? Earth and Space (Online) vs Data mangement (online)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which course is easier to get a 95% + above in? Earth and Space (Online) vs Data mangement (online)

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi, I need to decide in the next few days which of these courses to take online in order to boost my average.

Earth and Space science (with my friend)
Data management (with the notes of my friend from last semester who got 98)

My other courses are going to be: Calc, Phys, English.

I need to get a 95+

Which would I be better suited to?

Thanks,

Ps. Current average like 87, need this course to get to 90
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Well it depends on your strengths, are you better/more interested in science or math?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I like both however I am not sure about the earth and space curriculum as if it is focusingly mainly on earth-geology-then I would be really bored with it, but if it is about astronomy then I would be really interested. As the name has both I assume it would be an near equal distribution but who knows.

As for data, I have heard that it is a course rooted in logic and that if you get it then you will do well. I am very interested in logic and philosophy and such and I believe that if that is the case then I will indeed do well.

However, I am not sure about having data, phys, and calc in the same semester (3 math-based courses), and if E&S is all memorization then, considering it is online with the help of google, it should be easy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samanthalisi26 samanthalisi26
Hi, I think it all depends like previously stated,on what you feel more comfortable with. If I had to choose, i would say take the course with your friend because therefore you guys can help each other out when needed. Having notes by other friends is great but it will only go so far. You need to be able to make your own notes to properly understand something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leahquin leahquin
I'm taking Earth & Space Science next semester, but I went through the curriculum book and it focuses on geographic processes and systems more than astrology, but I've heard it was easy. But also, Data is "the most time-wasting pointless class ever created" according to my friends who got high 90s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RobertHogg RobertHogg
Data was easily the hardest course I took this semester (alongside advanced functions and grade 12 U/C science) but I disagree with the previous comment. It was definitely useful stuff, you are going to need to know standard deviation and whatnot for higher science. It would be nice to know what you've applied to, because if its pure math then data is the better choice. If its something like biology Earth & Space might be wiser.

Applied to:

Waterloo for Computer Science
Carleton for Computer Science - Computer Game Development
McMaster for Software Engineering (Game Design)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Reading about space online; I can't even do that regularly but yet there's a course for it.. Geez
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sarvish Sarvish
It really depends on the school and the curriculum. For example, I took data and it was easily one of the easiest courses I've ever taken, but I know a friend at another school who struggled to pull an 80 while I got a 99.

Earth and Space Science I've heard isn't too hard and only need basic grade 9+10 knowledge.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hollypen hollypen
I just finished Data management and finished the course with a 90. I found it relatively easy and I've never considered myself strong at math. Also, if you have notes from a student who did well previously there's no reason you won't be able to achieve the mark you're looking for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
I originally had Earth & Space for this past semester but it was almost completely Earth processes. From what I remember it was one unit of space. It also seemed like it was more of a science course for people who don't do science. Really it felt kinda like a geography course - but then again I dropped it pretty early on because of the earth focus....

As for data - I didn't actually take this course but for IB math we have to cover everything in the course. (minus 1 equation) If you're good at math, and more importantly good with logic then data will probably be a better course to take. It also has more practical value for future courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, I applied to both science and math so...

I am good with logic, but how many equations are there to learn and how difficult is it relative to advanced functions (if you don't mind saying).

As for E&S, if it is like geology then I would be bored as hell, however are the answers googlable or is there any actual application?

Thanks,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@DrTran wrote

I am good with logic, but how many equations are there to learn and how difficult is it relative to advanced functions (if you don't mind saying).

Data management and Advanced Functions are somewhat difficult to compare. This is just because of the way you need to think about the material. With Advanced functions (and calculus) it's just a matter of understanding the concept and using it.

Data management has more questions that make you think more about what the question is asking. There aren't many complicated formulae that you need to know. The only thing that comes to mind (can't remember if you need to memorize or not) is the normal distribution formula. I don't think you need to though. Other than that the math itself is really straight forward it's just thinking about problems logically.

For E&S I'm not 100% sure - like I said I dropped it.

Also, since you applied to science and math programs I would say that Dat Man will be much more beneficial in dealing with statistics and whatnot later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Arrg, I'm still torn.

I see that data will be more beneficial and much more interesting, but E&S seems easier if it is googlable.

Anyone out there who took the whole course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx

@DrTran wrote
Arrg, I'm still torn.

I see that data will be more beneficial and much more interesting, but E&S seems easier if it is googlable.

Anyone out there who took the whole course?

Data is easy but pretty damn boring at my school. Earth and space seems more interesting but also boring. It's really up to your interests. I took Geo in grade 11 for the easy mark but I will never do anything of the sort again in my life. It was so boring and every class was so frustrating. Chose what you like more because you'll be interested in putting in the effort for the class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If E&S is mostly geology then I would probably find Data more interesting (interested in logic and philosophy)

However, I'm willing to be bored out of mind for a couple months if less effort is required IF the answers are googlable (and considering it's an online course that shouldn't be too hard).

I have an 86 in the course that I'm using this to replace, so ideally I want to get a 96+ to make it worth it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would say Earth and Space, but then again, I'm into the Sciences more than probability
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mewzik108 wrote
I would say Earth and Space, but then again, I'm into the Sciences more than probability

Leaning towards data, but were the answers googlable for Earth and Space?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of crazyman123 crazyman123
I think data. It might come in useful in university, whereas earth & space science seems a little "out there."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

going with data, hopefully it`s still available
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This thread made me die a little (actually, a lot) inside.

Sad.

I'd love to see the OP in academia, one day asking his colleagues if "the answers are Google-able".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Definitely Data Management
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have calc, physics, and english to focus on, I`m just taking this course for the marks - so I will take whatever is easier.

I need the marks to get into university.
The pursuit of knowledge for knowledge`s sake is grand, but one needs to get into a position of sustainable living before that becomes a prime objective.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Thanks, if that was meant to be a comeback of sorts then I would say that you lost the argument.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Google's not really going to help with an online course. I've heard testimony from a teacher of mine related to how teachers will make online courses harder and more focused on application because of the fact that Google/the internet is available.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lilyliu lilyliu
Hands down, Data Management! It's definitely a much easier course.
If you've got common sense, and decent math and visualization skills, you'll do very well. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0