yconic - Which courses should I take?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which courses should I take?

A photo of Hockey1923 Hockey1923
I am in grade 12, and I want to get into a health or life science program.
I looked around at the university requirements for the health/life sci. programs. It doesn't recommend calculus and vectors in some, but one guidance counselor tells me to take it, and another one doesn't...
do I need it for these programs? I'm kind of freaking out now!
P.s - The courses im currently taking- Grade 12 Bio, Chem, advanced functions, religion (I go to a catholic high school, so it's mandatory to take it)world issues, and exercise science. I already have my grade 12 credit from taking it in the semester last year. Is it recommended to take exercise science for health and life sciences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
You should take calc. Exercise sci is not necessary for health/life sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KayS94 KayS94
I think you should look into the universities & programs you want to get into, and take courses based on that. Also, always double check what your guidance counsellors tell you- a lot of the information they know changes on a yearly basis and they may not always be right.
Generally, having one or two math courses is good, and biology and chemistry for health/life sci. Exercise science isn't necessary, but is good to have if you want to apply to kinesiology.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ChristaJones ChristaJones
You can also consider taking a course in health technician. Amongst all ultrasound technician is in demand these days. The reason being that people are preferring ultrasound more than any other imaging procedure as it is safer and cheaper. This has led to the increased demand of ultrasound techs as well. Getting a job in this profession is also very easy as it needs only a 2 years of associate degree. There are colleges offering scholarship also to their ultrasound tech students, thereby helping them financially. http://ultrasoundtechschool.org/ultrasound-tech-college-grants/This career also provide competency in health industry that may provide numerous years of job security, good pay and also superb advantages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
You should take:
English 12
Adv. Functions
Calculus
Chemistry 12
Biology 12
Exercise Science
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KristiFung KristiFung
I would personally take it, because depending on where you go, it MIGHT say that if you didn't take it in high school, you'll need to take it in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0