yconic - Which environment program?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which environment program?

A photo of cindyl949 cindyl949
I'm trying to decide between going to Waterloo or York for their environmental studies program (BES). Waterloo's Environment and Resource Studies program is co-op, while York has a "new" internship program. Which program will help me find a job easier after graduating?

For the campuses, I liked Waterloo's, but I haven't been to York's yet. I'm kind of worried because there's always news about shootings and stuff happening at York :/

Any thoughts? :bounce:

Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of napinhei napinhei
Well, I've not looked at either environment program so this is going to be based on mere opinion more than anything else...

York:

I didn't apply to York for a few reasons. First of all, when I graduated high school I applied and was accepted to York. I thought the program looked great, and the campus was utterly beautiful. That said, York administration is a joke. They screwed me over by messing up their records. Even though it was no fault of my own, they withdrew my acceptance. Once the whole matter was sorted out, they admitted they were at fault, but told me it was 'too late' because my spot had been filled. They were an utter mess. I'd heard stories almost as bad about administration from friends who chose to actually go there.

Despite thinking York is a far nicer than Waterloo, the admin problem alone made it so that now, three years later, I did not even want to consider the school again even though they had a program I was really interested in. Plus, like you said, there are always news reports about bad things such as shootings happening there. Pretty sketchy area if you ask me.

Waterloo:

As for Waterloo, I've done a lot of research lately and I think this school is great. When I applied months ago, it was my last choice, but it quickly became my first choice after the research I did. Admittedly, the campus is nowhere near as nice, but it has a lot of pluses. I personally think the area where it is located is really nice. I also think a lot of their newer buildings are great. When I was on a tour, they pointed out one of the Environment buildings. It was gorgeous. I didn't go inside, but the tour guide told us that it is constructed entirely of sustainable materials, has a living wall inside, and a rooftop garden. I'm not interested in that faculty, but even I thought that was pretty cool. Waterloo clearly has a lot of interest in their Environment department.

Plus, as you said, there is co-op. I don't know about York's internship program, but at Waterloo their co-op works out to two full years of work experience. I think that is pretty great, and I know that was a big factor in my decision making. The more work experience you have, the better your chances of getting a job after graduating.

Also take into consideration that Waterloo has a far better reputation than York.

Hope my thoughts helped...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of emilymegan emilymegan

@cindyl949 wrote
I'm trying to decide between going to Waterloo or York for their environmental studies program (BES). Waterloo's Environment and Resource Studies program is co-op, while York has a "new" internship program. Which program will help me find a job easier after graduating?

For the campuses, I liked Waterloo's, but I haven't been to York's yet. I'm kind of worried because there's always news about shootings and stuff happening at York :/

Any thoughts? :bounce:

Waterloo has the best co-op program of anyone, hands down. Do you know for sure if this internship as York is a paid internship? Because I have friends who applied places that offer unpaid internships, and that seems silly to me. If you're working, you should get paid for it. And Waterloo has had the best co-op program for YEARS and so has many more good connections with employers WORLDWIDE.

With Waterloo Co-op, you don't necessarily have to change jobs every four months or every co-op term-- I know people who are asked to return to the same job the next co-op term because their employer liked them so much. But even if you do have to switch jobs, you get so much more exposure that way! you may realize you don't like working where you thought you would, so you can figure all that out by experiencing different work environments.

And as for the 'guarantee' of getting a co-op at Waterloo? A large percentage of people in a co-op stream get co-op jobs. The only ones who don't are people who don't apply to a lot of jobs or are very picky or specific to where they want to work.

Personally, I am going into Environment and Business at Waterloo (which is co-op only) and I'm absolutely thrilled at the opportunities that await me there.

Your main question is which one will help you get a better job after all is said and done? WATERLOO :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stefandbuddy stefandbuddy
I am really interested in the Environment and Resource program at Waterloo. I think it has a lot to offer and the Co-op is amazing. The only thing is I hear Waterloo it's self seams like a boring school considering I'm very outgoing and love going out and having fun. This sounds stupid because obviously I need to focus on a career that will benefit me in the future and not on having fun, but you have to have fun sometime!
Do you think doing this perfect program will be worth not having the greatest time in university and living in a city for 4 years that isn't interesting to me?
Im saying this because I have wanted to go to UOttawa for a long time and when I visited it, it was the perfect city for me to live in! It was beautiful, had lots to do ect. but the program wasn't a perfect fit. Where Waterloo is opposite, perfect course but the city dose not seam that great.

Any Advice/ suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yls2011 yls2011

@stefandbuddy wrote
I am really interested in the Environment and Resource program at Waterloo. I think it has a lot to offer and the Co-op is amazing. The only thing is I hear Waterloo it's self seams like a boring school considering I'm very outgoing and love going out and having fun. This sounds stupid because obviously I need to focus on a career that will benefit me in the future and not on having fun, but you have to have fun sometime!
Do you think doing this perfect program will be worth not having the greatest time in university and living in a city for 4 years that isn't interesting to me?
Im saying this because I have wanted to go to UOttawa for a long time and when I visited it, it was the perfect city for me to live in! It was beautiful, had lots to do ect. but the program wasn't a perfect fit. Where Waterloo is opposite, perfect course but the city dose not seam that great.

Any Advice/ suggestions?

Social life is what you make of it. In every school you'll find others like you who love to have fun and are outgoing, you just have to hang with the 'right' people. There are tons of clubs/sports/events to join where you could have a lot of fun and make lots of friends. Remember, Laurier's just a few minutes drive away from Waterloo (if partying is your thing). I would personally choose the program that's best for me, because in the end I know I'll regret choosing anything but. That's just my opinion though. It's obviously not an easy decision since the campus/city environment is important too...
Was this helpful? Yes 0