yconic - Which extra-curricular activities are you involved in?
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which extra-curricular activities are you involved in?

Whether you may be in high school or university, there are many clubs, sports, and student groups that you can participate in. Being involved helps you gain leadership skills, network, and build your resume.

Which extra-curricular activities are/were you involved in?
Has your involvement impacted and helped you decide on a career path in some way?

Alyssa
yconic Student Ambassador
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
All I have is a part time job so I've already ruled myself out for most competitive business programs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sucks to be you. Guess you will be going to ryerson!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi! Don't rule yourself out just yet. Okay so you're not involved in many extra-curricular activities in school, but perhaps you've done volunteer work that you can highlight in your supplementary applications along with your part-time job. Most competitive business schools look for students who are dedicated, have demonstrated leadership skills, and made a positive impact in the activities they were involved in.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Does yconic trolling count?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am currently doing Rugby (winter off season training starts soon), Volleyball and Big Buddies
I've participated in Me2We, SLT (Student Leadership Team), helped out with high school events, team house leader and other activities I participated in but cannot recall them at the moment. 

Having done some of these and currently in the process of some of the extra curricular activities, gives me something to do when I need it the most. Not only am I doing it for myself but in another way I am helping someone else too. Whether it be done individually or as a communal interest/need; in doing so, it shapes you into a different kind of person. Doing what I've done, volunteering in a Kindergarten class and such, made me want to pursue becoming a teacher. Staying active and being involved is a beneficial thing that I think most people should take into consideration. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think that's amazing! I definitely agree that involvement is very beneficial as not only do you get the chance to develop your leadership skills and learn more about yourself, but you also get the chance to help others out. This is really nice to hear. Thank you for sharing! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have a part time job, and I'm also part of the local rowing club's competitive team, my high school's varsity rowing, soccer, cross country, track & field, and alpine ski team. I am an active member of my school's concert band and jazz band. I have accumulated >100hours during my 3 years at the school (honestly I have no idea how) so there's that.

I'm pretty passionate about rowing and am being recruited to be on my prospective university's varsity team. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

did anybody ask?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol, this dude is talking like paddling a boat is a huge accomplishment. XD Why don't you try doing a real sport like fisticuffs where there's a chance that your face could be rearranged and your brain being scrambled? At least you'd be able to brag about that instead of playing Titanic with your little tug boat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think it's great that you're really involved, especially in sports. If you haven't done so yet, I would recommend applying for scholarships. Your achievements would open up so many doors for you. Keep doing what you're doing! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 3