yconic - Which grade 12 science is the hardest science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which grade 12 science is the hardest science?

A photo of brady23 brady23
Out of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, which is the hardest?

I would say it is Physics because it is a combo of theory and application and problem-solving skills, and you really do need a natural aptitude in it to do well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of amandeepsaharan amandeepsaharan
It honestly depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are. I mean, I might say that physics is the hardest however some may disagree and say that chemistry or biology is the hardest. For me, physics is the hardest I do not like how it is a mix of theory and math. I am more comfortable with plugging numbers in and taking it out a calculator and not interested in the theory. However, in physics, you must understand the theory before performing or evaluating the problem. In other words, it’s math with reasons. Sometimes you ask in math, “When will I ever use this information?” well, physics gives you the reason why things are the way they are. I don’t know if that makes sense, but that’s my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trarod Trarod
All 3 sciences are pretty much the same in terms of the difficulty of the concepts covered (bio is a little bit easier, physics and chem are on the same level in my opinion). If you have an aptitude for science, you will have no problem understanding the material because it is pretty average in difficulty.

Where the 3 courses differ is in their application questions. Physics has the potential to be the hardest course because the problems they can throw at you might require creative thinking, logical reasoning, geometric and spatial skills, as well as knowledge of math. The same thing can be said for chemistry, but usually to a lesser extent. Biology is focused on factual knowledge rather than problem solving, so it is much easier than physics or chemistry in this regard.

Of course, which course is actually the hardest depends on your teacher. Your physics / chem teacher might decide to give easy tests, and your bio teacher might decide to give hard tests. However, this doesn't usually happen.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@Trarod wrote
All 3 sciences are pretty much the same in terms of the difficulty of the concepts covered (bio is a little bit easier, physics and chem are on the same level in my opinion). If you have an aptitude for science, you will have no problem understanding the material because it is pretty average in difficulty.

Where the 3 courses differ is in their application questions. Physics has the potential to be the hardest course because the problems they can throw at you might require creative thinking, logical reasoning, geometric and spatial skills, as well as knowledge of math. The same thing can be said for chemistry, but usually to a lesser extent. Biology is focused on factual knowledge rather than problem solving, so it is much easier than physics or chemistry in this regard.

Of course, which course is actually the hardest depends on your teacher. Your physics / chem teacher might decide to give easy tests, and your bio teacher might decide to give hard tests. However, this doesn't usually happen.

I totally agree. Without the application part, I would say Physics is the hardest (Math, concept, theory), Chemistry is the second hardest (concept, algebra math), and biology is the easiest (just some memorization).

But for application, I think Biology is the hardest. Since Biology is more memorization-based, application questions are really out-there and nothing like you've ever seen before. For chemistry and physics which are more logical, the application questions are not as deviant from the course and you have some idea how to answer them and might get part marks. Not for biology lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jsmith123 jsmith123
It's different for everyone but I would definitely say that Physics is the hardest for me.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anita.tran anita.tran
It is definitely different in everyone's opinion and it also differs on the school and the teachers. For me, I honestly find Biology the hardest with much memorization.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Didnt take any of the sciences, i took all business related courses haha..
But i think physicis is the hardest one, that's what everyone at my school said..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trarod Trarod

@brady23 wrote

@Trarod wrote

I totally agree. Without the application part, I would say Physics is the hardest (Math, concept, theory), Chemistry is the second hardest (concept, algebra math), and biology is the easiest (just some memorization).

But for application, I think Biology is the hardest. Since Biology is more memorization-based, application questions are really out-there and nothing like you've ever seen before. For chemistry and physics which are more logical, the application questions are not as deviant from the course and you have some idea how to answer them and might get part marks. Not for biology lol.

Yeah I suppose you're right about bio application questions, they can be hard to answer because you often don't know where to start, wheras in physics there are some basic strategies you can apply to almost any problem (i.e. draw a diagram, list the givens and the unknowns, set up relevant equations...). But in high school bio you can usually BS for a couple of marks (not so much in university lol). Still, physics questions can get very tricky, a good example of that is the SIN contest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I really think that the difficulty of the sciences are all very teacher dependent. It depends on how the teachers teach and mark and varies tremendously between schools. For my school in particular, biology was by far the most difficult :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canadiens1 canadiens1
I'd say it is between physics and chem. both can have their own challenges.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac
As a subject, I would say that Physics is the most difficult for me.
However, I think bio is the most work, and more challenging to get a good mark in- application questions can sometimes be unpredictable. Biology is NOT just about memorization- application is about understanding. But I think the concepts are often easier to grasp than chemistry or physics. It's a lot of memorization and rememorization, and writing. I spend more time on bio than any other subject. But I love it!
Chemistry, I just find less interesting than physics or bio... :)

I think it's really subjective though... all the sciences are related anyway. A good chem and physics background, for example, is really useful in biology!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoorKnob22 DoorKnob22
Depends on what you're good at.

Organic chem, physics , calculas are the things that generally weed people out in universities I believe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Physics isn't bad... I've never taken biology though. I think biology or chemistry would be more difficult for me... I'm not a fan of memorization. Physics has almost no memorization... if you're resorting to memorizing the theories you probably aren't going to do well anyway. If I understand the theories, not only will I always remember them, I'll be able to apply them. Despite this, I'm not doing incredibly well, but there are just some questions that scream IMPOSSIBLE to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fma Fma
Not only depends on your learning style, but it also depends on your school
For example, in my school, bio is definitely the hardest course.
I dont know about the course's material since I havent taken any bio,
but all 12U students raise dozens of mice(it's a term-long lab)
and they have to spend at least 1hour everyday just to take care of their lovely mice lol.
Also, I heard the 12U bio teacher's expection is EXTREMELY high, he teaches 1st year level of university bio to prepare students to write the AP.

Excluding bio, the hardest science course, IMO, is chemistry, not saying that the concept is hard.
It is hard because they don't teach WHY?.
Equations in physics are very understandable because you can prove it using differetiation or integration. Howeverer, for chemistry's equations, I dont really understand why those equations are used....or am i the only one who dont understand?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clare2141995 clare2141995
I would say Physics. Although Bio could be hard if you do not like memorizations. Chem is alright - fun and excting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted