yconic - Which grades count?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which grades count?

A photo of sarahl23 sarahl23
When applying for scholarships, do they are at all what you did in grade 9 or more so just 10/11/12?
And also, what if you had a major acheivement in grade 8 and wanted to mention that?
So what I'm basically trying to ask is there a certain time frame that scholarship evaluators look at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
It depends on the scholarship. Some might only look at grade 12, some grade 11 and some maybe grade 10. I doubt they would go as far back as grade 9.

A major achievement four years ago isn't going to look very good, in my opinion. They might wonder why you didn't put down anything more recent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahl23 sarahl23
Ah, thanks.
I guess I didn't use the right wording by saying "major acheivement". What I'm wondering about is I went on a huge mission trip in grade 8, which led to inspire my small charity organization. I've been doing many things since then but I was just curious to know if I could mention how/why it all started.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Definitely mention how it started, but don't spend a ton of time focusing on that activity. But yes that could definitely enrich your essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Personally, I think that although only grade 11/12 grades will be considered (for the most part) achievements at any time are important to mention, espescially if they are relevant to what you are doing now. Personally, I had been involved with a charity for nine years, and I definitely mentioned events I had been a part of from a long time ago. Also, how it started is important to people reading your essay: it proves you have passion- they want to see you're not just padding a resume. So play up the fact that you did something great when you were so young, and show how it's helped you grow!
Was this helpful? Yes 0