yconic - Which is "easier" to get into? UBC, McGill, or Trin at UofT?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which is "easier" to get into? UBC, McGill, or Trin at UofT?

A photo of LawBound LawBound
UBC (PoliSci) would be my last choice, as UofT and McGill are my top picks. That said, I only want to go to UofT if I get accepted to Trinity.

So which of the universities/colleges would be the easiest to get accepted to? If I were to be accepted to McGill (Arts), would I probably be accepted to Trinity (PoliSci) as well?

I have a 94% average right now, and it may go as low as 92% after exams (I'm only applying next year during my gap year).

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
What program??

You can get in almost everywhere with that average, except for a few of the super competitive programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
For McGill, the program with the highest entering average was Biological Sciences. It must have been around 91ish

For Trin, if you're from ontario you'll have to write a supplementary application, which seems to be just as important as your grades. The entering average is usually around 91 as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My apologies! I'd be applying to McGill's Arts faculty, and then majoring in Political Science. I'd be applying to PoliSci at Trin and UBC as well.

I actually have a question about Trin's Ethics Society and Law program - can I apply directly to this stream for my undergraduate degree?

So do you think I could get accepted with a 92%, or should I absolutely get a higher average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
With a 92 you'll be fine. I know a girl who got accepted to McGill Arts first round with a 88-90ish average. For Trin, a 92 is fine as well, just make sure you give off a really academic/enthusiastic vibe in the supplement (if you're from Ontario that is). My boyfriend applied to Trin with a 95 average, but wrote a haiku for his creative response (because he obviously wasn't taking it seriously) and he got rejected.

You mean Ethics, Society and Law? If so, yes, you can apply to it directly as your major program. More info: http://www.trinity.utoronto.ca/Current_Students/questions_esl.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@canta93loupe wrote
With a 92 you'll be fine. I know a girl who got accepted to McGill Arts first round with a 88-90ish average. For Trin, a 92 is fine as well, just make sure you give off a really academic/enthusiastic vibe in the supplement (if you're from Ontario that is). My boyfriend applied to Trin with a 95 average, but wrote a haiku for his creative response (because he obviously wasn't taking it seriously) and he got rejected.

You mean Ethics, Society and Law? If so, yes, you can apply to it directly as your major program. More info: http://www.trinity.utoronto.ca/Current_Students/questions_esl.htm

Yes, Ethics Society and Law - my bad, I'm a scatter brain during exam time. Since it's such a small program, do you think a 92 would put me at the lower end or competitiveness?

How do I shown enthusiasm in my response? Don't they usually post a picture and we write a short essay?

Also, as for an "academic vibe", does that just mean that the grammar and vocabulary should be of a higher standard than normal (like, formal)?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
^ Oh, well, you choose your program after first year. So your high school marks won't even matter.

The supplement is two parts. The first is where you talk about your extracurriculars and how they have "contributed to your development" and how you see extracurriculars affecting you as a Trinity student. So in that way, if you mention specific clubs/organizations that are at Trinity, it'll really show that you actually really want to be at that college. The second part is the whole picture/short essay thing.

Uhm... not necessarily formal, but just not too lax? You just want to give a good impression when the read your supplement. Trinity is the most traditional college at U of T, so you kind of have to keep in mind your audience when you are writing your supplement.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I got into McGill Arts with an 86% average back in early April. It's not as difficult to get in as portrayed to be.

UBC Arts had a cut-off of 87% this year -- if you had a very good supplemental with an 86% average, they'll admit you.

Getting into Trinity would be most difficult of the three. You have a high average, however, and should have no problem getting in.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
UBC Arts cut-off this year is at 87%. UBC uses broad based admission so there is a supplemental choice. The lowest avg admitted that i know of was 85% with a good supplemental.

McGill cut-off should be around the same (not sure if broad based though).

UT Trin is the easiest to get in, especially into arts, 80+ would almost guarantee acceptance.

Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@LawBound wrote
I actually have a question about Trin's Ethics Society and Law program - can I apply directly to this stream for my undergraduate degree?

You can enroll in this program after first year, provided you satisfy the prerequisites, which are indicated in the course calendar. Bear in mind that this program is offered only as a major, as far as I know, so you'll have to pick another major or two minors to get your degree. If you really want to get a "head start", consider doing the Trin One program in the ethics stream, which will give you a taste of what the program is like. As a side note, I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but this program has been falling apart since two years ago, due to lack of funding. I've heard complaints about some requisite courses not being offered some years.

As for getting into Trin, it shouldn't be too hard with your average, as long as you write a decent supp, which is only worth 15% of the overall application. It doesn't have to be mind blowing, and, contrary to what someone has said, a haiku could be taken well, as long as thought is put into it. (You might want to write more than just one haiku though). And no, you don't have to pander to tradition to get in. Just be yourself. It's a test to see if it's a fit both ways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@Cuiter23 wrote

UT Trin is the easiest to get in, especially into arts, 80+ would almost guarantee acceptance.

Good luck

U of T is probably easiest to get into. Not Trinity, per se.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@Nyx wrote

@Cuiter23 wrote

Good luck

U of T is probably easiest to get into. Not Trinity, per se.

Yes, not Trin. Trin is the hardest college to get into in UT.

But UT is in general easier to get in.

If you can get in McGill or UBC then you will get in UT Trin for sure.

Hope I cleared that up haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks everyone! That cleared up a lot :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 04matt04 04matt04

@Nyx wrote
For McGill, the program with the highest entering average was Biological Sciences. It must have been around 91ish

For Trin, if you're from ontario you'll have to write a supplementary application, which seems to be just as important as your grades. The entering average is usually around 91 as well.

The cutoff for Biological Sciences at McGill is 92.5%. This year, I was rejected with a 92.98%. Your probably only safe with that program if you have a 93.5 or higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@04matt04 wrote

@Nyx wrote

The cutoff for Biological Sciences at McGill is 92.5%. This year, I was rejected with a 92.98%. Your probably only safe with that program if you have a 93.5 or higher.

Yeah, I was just guessing based on what it was for 2010 (91.5).

On a side note, how were you rejected if you were above the cut off?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9

@Nyx wrote

@04matt04 wrote

@Nyx wrote

tbh, I'm almost sure that McGill considers your grade 11 marks. A friend of mine got in with that average(around that range, 92.5ish), but he's got amazing grade 11 marks. They don't just calculate your grade 12 top six.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 04matt04 04matt04

@fruitpunch9 wrote

@Nyx wrote

@04matt04 wrote

@Nyx wrote

tbh, I'm almost sure that McGill considers your grade 11 marks. A friend of mine got in with that average(around that range, 92.5ish), but he's got amazing grade 11 marks. They don't just calculate your grade 12 top six.

Yeah, that's probably why. My grade 11 marks weren't as good; I got too caught up in the partying scene. I probably had a ~90 or ~90.5 average in grade 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Can I just say I am so tired of hearing people say that a 90% average isn't good. What kind of mark inflation is Ontario having if that's not considered a good average???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fruitpunch9 wrote

@Nyx wrote

@04matt04 wrote

@Nyx wrote

I'm applying next year after I have already completed all my courses, so they wouldn't just have my midterm grades. So would they still look at how I did in the 11th grade? I did really, really (I cannot stress the "really" enough) poorly last year because I was very ill, so I'm scared that they will reject me now...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline

@ktel wrote
Can I just say I am so tired of hearing people say that a 90% average isn't good. What kind of mark inflation is Ontario having if that's not considered a good average???

This. I worked my ass off this year, spending at LEAST 30 hours a week studying, and managed almost a 90%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0