yconic - Which is the better roommate?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which is the better roommate?

A photo of Nexus111 Nexus111
I am an engineering student at uWaterloo and I was wonder if it is better to suggest a roommate who i am great friends with or should i room with people who are also in engineering. My friends are doing life sci and comp sci in the same study stream as me but i also have friends (who im not as close with) but are also in engineering as an option.

Is it better to have roommates who you are really comfortable with or roommates who are in the same program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
In engineering especially I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have friends in your program. I wouldn't have been able to do half my assignments without some form of help from a friend (sometimes this just consisted of them pointing out a math error).

That being said, even if your roommate is not an engineer, there will hopefully be several on your floor or in your residence, and you will find each other soon enough.

But, I will advise, great friends don't necessarily make great roommates. It can often make or break a friendship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nexus111 Nexus111
thank for the advice. I was leaning towards staying with people in my program but i would also like to know what are the chances for see friends around campus who are in different programs than you. I have been close friends with one of theses guys for years now and i still want to chill with him from time to time if i can. Even tho i know there wont be much time since im going into engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
My math marks would say otherwise :P

It depends on the friendship. Most of my high school friends, who I only really saw at school or at big get-togethers, were in different programs than me, and unless we had a pretty close friendship before, our friendship totally drifted apart. I remain really close with my high school friends who were in my program though.

You have time in engineering. I had time to play a varsity sport and see my friends. You just have to make the effort
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme

@Nexus111 wrote
I am an engineering student at uWaterloo and I was wonder if it is better to suggest a roommate who i am great friends with or should i room with people who are also in engineering. My friends are doing life sci and comp sci in the same study stream as me but i also have friends (who im not as close with) but are also in engineering as an option.

Is it better to have roommates who you are really comfortable with or roommates who are in the same program?

SAME PROGRAM! they can help youand youll become close to them. the danger with roomates who you are comfortable with is that youll get sick of them. ive heard of best friends who become roommates who are now like, not a close. they drifted apart. and youll see your othe firends who your closer with!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw

@Nexus111 wrote

I would say be roommates with someone in ur program, you'll find a new friend and can ask for help. Also from seeing other people in the past, after rooming with ur close friend you guys might end up not being friends anymore.
Was this helpful? Yes 0