yconic - Which looks better to a university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which looks better to a university?

A photo of HCR HCR
I want to take Calculus but I'll probably get in the 60's.

The program I want is business at Ryerson and they recommend Calculus though you do not have to take it.

Would it look better to take Calculus and get a bad mark(60-69) or not taking Calculus at all so they don't know if I struggled or not?

Because I was told that even though it isn't part of your top 6, they will look at it anyways to see how you are doing.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of dancecubed dancecubed
Even if they do look at other marks besides your top 6, it will in no way affect their decision to take you into the program.

I've known many people who have had low marks in a few courses. Even myself: I had a 50 in Law (not part of my top 6) and that didn't affect me.

Like I said before, if you're taking it for your own curiosity and knowledge, then all the power to you! As long as it isn't in your top 6, you won't be affected. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HCR HCR
Are you sure?

Because I was told that for example: if Person A had a 81 average but with a 65 in Calculus but it is not included in top 6 while Person B had a 78 average with a 75 in Calculus included in top 6, they would consider both evenly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

As long as Calculus isn't part of your top 6 and isn't your only math, then you're fine. I've seen a few people get into Schulich while having 50s in Calculus because their prerequisites were covered by the other 2 maths.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HCR HCR
I got an 83 in Data and got 73-75 in functions but will upgrade Functions to about 85 in night school(I'm confident I will get an 85).

I'll ask my guidance councellor to see how everything works but as far as I know, even though they do not consider a class if it is not in the top 6, they will look at the course if it is recommended to see how you are doing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@HCR wrote
I got an 83 in Data and got 73-75 in functions but will upgrade Functions to about 85 in night school(I'm confident I will get an 85).

I'll ask my guidance councellor to see how everything works but as far as I know, even though they do not consider a class if it is not in the top 6, they will look at the course if it is recommended to see how you are doing.

Haha, I personally think that would be too time consuming for them. But, if they do look at your calculus mark, it probably won't make a big difference at all.

Remember that there are people who only take one math and get accepted. I'm almost certain that admissions realizes that people have certain weaknesses, which is why they only require one math.

Try your hardest in Calculus either way though. :chef:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HCR HCR
Alright. Thanks. However, do you know if it affects you if you fail?

And do you know the average for UTSC business?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@HCR wrote
Alright. Thanks. However, do you know if it affects you if you fail?

And do you know the average for UTSC business?

You could check einfo.ca for the UTSC average. :P

And I'm pretty certain that as long as it's not part of your top 6, nothing will happen. Even if you fail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0