yconic - Which of the following 1st year university math courses would be for a student who is OKAY at math?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which of the following 1st year university math courses would be for a student who is OKAY at math?

A photo of Atelophobia Atelophobia
I have taken advanced functions grade 12 and calculus and vectors grade 12.
This is what I have to choose from:

MATH 114 - Elementary Calculus I
MATH 120 - Basic Linear Algebra I
MATH 125 - Linear Algebra I

It's one of my pre-reqs :P

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of jplank jplank
What school is this at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase
Not sure about calculus, but what I infer is that basic linear algebra is more computational (calculational) than linear algebra which may or not be more theoretical and proof-y. Can you post the curriculum for elementary calculus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This is at the University of Alberta

MATH 114 Elementary Calculus I Œ3 (fi 6) (either term, 3-0-0).
The course description is the same as for MATH 113. Prerequisites: Pure Mathematics 30 or Mathematics 30-1, Mathematics 31 or equivalent. This course may not be taken for credit if credit has been obtained in MATH 100, 113, 117 or SCI 100.

MATH 120 Basic Linear Algebra I Œ3 (fi 6) (either term, 3-0-0).
Systems of linear equations. Vectors in n-space, vector equations of lines and planes. Matrix algebra, inverses and invertibility. Introduction to linear transformations. Subspaces of n-space. Determinants. Introduction to eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The dot product and orthogonality. Applications in a variety of fields, numerical methods. Prerequisite: Pure Mathematics 30 or Mathematics 30-1. Notes: (1) See also course description for MATH 125. (2) This course cannot be taken for credit if credit has already been obtained in any of MATH 102, 125 or 127. (3) Students planning to transfer into Engineering should take MATH 125 rather than MATH 120. (4) May contain Alternate Delivery sections; see Section 200.

MATH 125 Linear Algebra I Œ3 (fi 6) (either term, 3-0-0).
Systems of linear equations. Vectors in n-space, vector equations of lines and planes. Matrix algebra, inverses and invertibility. Introduction to linear transformations. Subspaces of n-space. Determinants. Introduction to eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The dot product and orthogonality. Applications in a variety of fields, numerical methods. Prerequisites: Pure Mathematics 30 or Mathematics 30-1. Notes: (1) This course is an enriched version of the basic linear algebra course MATH 120. It covers the same basic topics as MATH 120. However, some of these basic topics will be covered in more depth than in MATH 120. Also the instructor will discuss some additional applications and/or discuss some of the applications in more depth. MATH 125 is recommended for all students with at least 80% in Pure Mathematics 30. It is also recommended for students linear algebra course, and one of Mathematics 31 or a 100-level calculus course. Note: This course cannot be taken for credit if credit has already been obtained in MATH 227.

I'm just looking for a really straight-forward/easier math course because math is not my strong spot but since I am in a science program math and statistics is required soo I had to :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplank jplank
Between 120 and 125, 120 is easier. The description of 125 says "Notes: (1) This course is an enriched version of the basic linear algebra course MATH 120. It covers the same basic topics as MATH 120. However, some of these basic topics will be covered in more depth than in MATH 120."

The description of MATH 113 is:

Review of analytic geometry. Differentiation and integration of simple functions. Applications. Prerequisite: Pure Mathematics 30 or Mathematics 30-1 or equivalent. Students who have taken Mathematics 31 are advised to take MATH 114. See Note (3) at the beginning of the Mathematic course listings. This course may not be taken for credit if credit has already been obtained in MATH 100, 114, 117 or SCI 100.

From the sounds of it, I'd say 114 is probably the easiest option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yah and I'm currently taking grade 12 calculus right now so it would be a good transition but my mark dropped after midterms.

I had an 88% then it dropped to 73% after my midterm exam .... Plus I have a really bad teacher, and on top of that english isn't his first language.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yah and I'm currently taking grade 12 calculus right now so it would be a good transition but my mark dropped after midterms.

I had an 88% then it dropped to 73% after my midterm exam .... Plus I have a really bad teacher, and on top of that english isn't his first language.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I would take Math 114 and let MASC become your best friend: http://www.ualberta.ca/~masc/

They offer weekly seminars for Math 114 as well as AWESOME midterm and final exam reviews. Like unbelievably awesome.
Was this helpful? Yes 0